CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Diagonal for 2" Eyepieces in an EdgeHD 800?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Under the clouds

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

Here is a picture of the Baader Locking Ring for 2" SCT threads. You can see for yourself  ;)

I suspect the user you quote is using the junk 3.25 - 2 inch adapter that Celestron throw in the box, which has a 38mm constriction. It's plain to see just looking at it. I threw it in the trash on day one and therefore can't show you that one.

Attached Files

Edited by Dunkstar, 09 January 2015 - 06:24 PM.

• Sarkikos likes this

#77 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

My Baader SCT Lock-Ring is semi-permanently attached to the rear aperture of my EdgeHD 8".  Any question of whether or not the Lock-Ring will vignette the image is pointless and unfounded, because the Lock-Ring goes around the outside of the rear aperture!  Silliness!

Mike

• ebonrogue likes this

#78 ebonrogue

ebonrogue

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Greece Rhodes

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:59 AM

I suspect the user you quote is using the junk 3.25 - 2 inch adapter that Celestron throw in the box, which has a 38mm constriction. It's plain to see just looking at it. I threw it in the trash on day one and therefore can't show you that one.

Thanks for the clarification ... 

#79 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

I do not know where people are getting the idea that the inside diameter of the locking ring is 38mm.  The inside  diameter of the locking ring s 50mm.

The locking ring goes on the outside of the standard SCT thread.  It in no way resricts the light path of the system.

Edited by Eddgie, 10 January 2015 - 11:26 AM.

• Sarkikos likes this

#80 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

I do not know where people are getting the idea that the inside diameter of the locking ring is 38mm.  The inside  diameter of the locking ring s 50mm.

The locking ring goes on the outside of the standard SCT thread.  It in no way resricts the light path of the system.

Yes, exactly so.

Mike

#81 Procyon

Procyon

Soyuz

• Loc: North Eastern Canada

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

Mike or Eddgie, or anyone who cares to have a go at this, my time has come to move up to 2" ep's, advice is needed and appreciated.

Ok here goes:

Purpose of this thread: Shortest lightpath for 2" ep's & quickest way to go from the 2" setup to the binoviewer setup.

Telescope: Edge HD 8"

Mount: Nexstar 6/8 SE

Current Visual Back: 10mm Baader SCT Adapter

Current Diagonal: Zeiss Jena 90° diagonal prism - 2x T2 connection (2456095 #1B) with 35mm free aperture

Current EP Holder: 1.25" Baader Clicklock

Other adapters: Antares 2" to 1.25" adapter with Twist-Lock

Other notes: No plans to ever get a GEM mount, I also have started using a Skyq Link 2 which the geniuses have decided to put right under where the clearance would be needed when visualizing at zenith...so this will rob me at least of an inch, more or less, I can measure that if needed.

A lot of advice was given and was discussed in this thread on Page 1 & 2 but at the time I got sidetracked with a refractor which I sold quickly.

Now I'm wondering if I bought this diagonal: Antares 2" Mirror Diagonal with 2" Twist Lock what else would I need to view with 2" eyepieces with a maximum field stop of 35mm? The diagonal I have has 35mm of free aperture, but is that enough?

What would be the quickest way to switch back to a binoviewer setup?

Edited by NorthWolf, 11 January 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#82 SM1978

SM1978

Vendor-Ontario Telescopes

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

I have the Antares 2" twist lock Diagonal.  The thing is built like a tank.  It is heavy, but I have no complaints.   The only thing I did to make it better was to add the Antares 2" to 1.25" Twist lock adapter http://www.ontariote...Lock_p_263.html .  Now everything is centred and super easy to swap eyepieces.

And for $95.00, how can you go wrong for a diagonal??

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics