Comet Jacques in Cassiopeia

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:36 AM

Looked for and found it for the first time tonight at the Lowell Observatory public program using one of their Orion 10" dobs. Fortunately, tonight's location just off Deneb made it a fairly quick find with a couple of sweeps even with the 1st quarter moon and the public safety ground lighting at the observatory. It wasn't the prettiest object the visitors looked at tonight, but they all thought it was cool.

All we could see tonight was the coma, the star-like nucleus and a little brightening of the coma on one side which I assumed was the side that contained the base of the tail.

#102 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

I had my SV105 out last night was able to detect the coma and nucleus (finally) of Jacques... it was very faint, no trace of a tail. But everyone thought it was pretty cool. :)

I really want to try this from a dark site!

#103 clmurphy74

clmurphy74

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Printed this month's finder chart.  Going to ask someone from the OKCAC this Friday night to sight it in at the Outreach event.  If they will, then I will get a look at it through a telescope :waytogo:

#104 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

If they will, then I will get a look at it through a telescope :waytogo:

All else bein' equal.... the BIGGER, the better! It will have dimmed notably by then, i'm sure.

#105 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

The comet's broad coma and dust tail extend to the east and south (and less so to the north).  The much fainter and thinner ion tail extends southwards but is hard to detect visually.  Check out the sketches posted in the Sketching forum.

Found this shot of the comet taken a few days ago. Exactly as you've described! I suspect maybe the ion tail was subtly visible as merely a stub of brightness extending off the coma?

BTW, the website linked above is teeming with amazing A/P shots! This guy is prodigious in his craft! :jawdrop: :bow:

#106 colgs3b

colgs3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Zionsville, IN

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

We have a thread in the Solar System Imaging & Processing section with a couple of photos.

http://www.cloudynig...cques-unguided/

#107 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

Comet Jacques in Cygnus - from 09/03/2014.

C80ED f/7.5, Canon 400D

From 37 subs. 2 stacks were made, one aligned on the stars, the second

aligned on the comet head. The comet was removed from the star stack,

the star trails removed from the comet stack, then the 2 were combined

with layers and a mask. Click image for full-size.

Attached File  composite4.jpg   136.81KB   0 downloads

Edited by EJN, 08 September 2014 - 02:00 PM.

• bumm likes this

#108 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Very nice!

#109 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Jacques! You little fuzzball! ;)

#110 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Sketch with mu Cephei:

Comet%20Jacques%20and%20Mu%20Ceph.jpg

#111 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

Just a quick report:

I was able to catch Jacques last night (Sept 11) from my urban, red zone backyard with my 16 inch Dob.  I picked it up 10 minutes before moonrise when it was 4 degrees from the Zenith and I tracked it at 230x as it passed within 1 degree of the Zenith, It seems to be weakening fast, I see various reports, mag 10.8 seems about right to me.  I finally gave up when the moon was high enough that it significantly affected the view.  That close to the zenith, just locating it was tricky and tracking it manually was quite entertaining.. things rotate quickly.

Jon

#112 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

Was out with some club members at our observing spot last night.. It's not very dark, maybe orange, but is on a "mountain" (small hill), good horizon views.. We setup next to the parking lot but maybe due to the aurora possibility the place was crowded, car headlights every 10 minutes.. (With clouds and transparency we saw no aurora before 11pm est.  Plus the transparency was awful. But I found it in Cygnus close to albireo using sky safari as my chart, at around 10:30 est. so much fainter than when it was back in Cassiopeia! I'm not good at this but I'd guess at least 4x dimmer and correspondingly smaller. Difficult to see , only a hazy patch with a hint of a brighter core.. Easy to browse right over it. Some of the other guys present weren't sure they could see it (astronomy professors too ), but then I explained between the car lights and the transparency,MIT really wasn't a good target for the condition. I was pleased to have found and seen it again though. Since it's so well overhead I might even be able to follow this for a bit longer from home. 

#113 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

Matt:

I saw it again Friday Night from my red zone backyard. Saturday night I was in a blue zone with my big scope, it was much more easily seen but it's fading fast.  It's an easy find since it's so close to Albireo..  Hopefully you will be able to catch it from home.

Jon

#114 steveyo

steveyo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

I finally caught Jacques last night with my 10" Dob.  No dice with the 10x42 binos.  There was a lot of LP, and my son and I barely viewed it, near Alberio.  Very dim smudge.  M27 was at least a few magnitudes brighter.

#115 mogur

mogur

Apollo

• Loc: WI

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

Bummer. Haven't been able to see it at all here due to bad weather, and by next week's astro-campout it'll be too dim. :(

#116 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

I just got back in from catching a peek at Jacques with my 20x80 binocs.  I'd tried last night but failed to find it.  Tonight was clear, and delightfully cool, but my house is on the edge of a yellow zone.  First time out, I just looked a bit south of Albireo, and couldn't nail it.  Then, I went back in and checked the field on the Skalnate Pleso Atlas with a little acetate FOV circle...  That made it surprisingly easy...  The little comet was a pretty easy catch once I knew EXACTLY where to look.  Otherwise, the sky in this area is so mottled and busy with background stars that it was difficult to pick out.

After that, I swung around and checked out M22, the Wild Duck Cluster, and the Dumbbell Nebula.  One of the nice things about a casual ramble with binocs. :)

Marty

#117 cdndob

cdndob

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Great White North

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

Took a look tonight with the 12" dob from my "white zone" backyard, no luck. At first I thought it my be my star hopping abilities (goto mounts will do that to ya) but I quickly skipped over to M27 and then viewed M57 without trouble. Dropped in the ultrablock filter which helped on M27 but no joy on Jacques. ;(

Think I might pull out the contact lenses for this one ...

#118 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

I went out again at about at 11:45, (about an hour and 45 minutes,) after my last look,(post #116,) and couldn't see it.  Cygnus and the comet had swung a little more over my little town, and I wasn't dark adapted.  This little comet is very sensitive to such conditions, much like a galaxy.

Marty

#119 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

I saw it last night with my 8" f/5 Newtonian from the suburbs of
Chicago. It is dimming rapidly, I passed over it a couple of times before
seeing it. Much dimmer than even 2 weeks ago when I took the image
posted above. It had no discernible central condensation anymore.

#120 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

I managed to pick up Jacques again tonight around 9:30, again with hand-held 20x80 binocs.  Managed to catch him by following down from the edge of the little triangle of stars where he was poking around last night, just the right distance.  Not much more than a little patch of sky that isn't quite as dark as the sky around it.  Decent charts are vital, and I'd never see him if I didn't know right where to look.

Looks like his next visit of note will be the Coathanger Cluster...

Marty

#121 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:49 PM

I saw tonight (Sept 17th) with my 16 inch from my "red zone" backyard.  It was barely perceptible. I was able to center it in the field of view using Sky Safari 4 Pro, otherwise I am not sure I could have found it.

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics