• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

Looking for a very inexpensive but good enough widefield to take camping or leave in my car for instant grab and go.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

Looking for a very inexpensive but good enough widefield to take camping or leave in my car for instant grab and go.

Have any links?

Anyway.. The Powerseeker probably has a plastic focuser, the mount is marginal at best. It seems to have the same diagonal as the Powerseeker 70 which is quite thin plastic with a clear aperture of about 14mm.   The Orion ST-80 is a known quantity with a metal focuser, a reasonable diagonal, a decent finder though scopes like this don't need a finder and a couple of Plossl eyepieces.  

One scope that seems interesting to me is the Starblast 90mm. It's bigger to be sure with it's 600mm focal length but for $200, it seems like a decent scope on a OK mount and still reasonably compact. 

Jon

#3 Hesiod

Hesiod

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

The powerseeker has imho 3 big "faults": an hideous erect-image diagonal, an almost totally useless finderscope and a mount too prone to break (in some respect the Astromaster line is imho a huge improvement, but there are no rich-field refractors among them).

I would go for the aforementioned Starblast 90 (does not underestimate the power of red dot!), or get a st80 "bare"(without anything), adding few dollars for a red dot finder, a diagonal whatsoever and an eyepiece in the 16-20mm range (maybe an inexpensive superwide); for the mount, even an Orion AZ4.

#4 stevenf

stevenf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

The new Meade Infinity 80mm F5 looks interesting too. A bit cheaper than the ST80-A and has what looks like a decent mount, red dot finder and three eyepeices.

http://www.bhphotovi..._refractor.html

#5 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

also there's a meade infinity 90mm f6.7.    The whole family can be seen on amazon.

Bob

#6 Hesiod

Hesiod

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

From the pics seems that it has a 45° diagonal which probably has an erecting prism, and these usually range from bad to hideous (at least the cheap models, never tried a high end one) because of a huge amount of scattering. But probably for low power rich field it is not so a severe shortcoming

#7 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Celestron 80MM "Wide View" Spotting Scope

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

I have one of those. Just to be clear, that is an old model and essentially identical to the Orion ST-80 and quite different from the Power seeker 80.  The Meade is an unknown as well though it probably is similar to other entry level Meade scopes with a Plastic focuser and such.

Jon

#9 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

I think they've been discontinued anyway, but the Orion ShortTube 80-T kit is still available.

Uncle Rod's 2009 review.

Edited by audioaficionado, 22 August 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#10 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

For sure, the ST-80 over the Powerseeker 80/f5.

FWIW

$199 shipped 130mm tabletop dob.

https://store.astron...m8f79s91mhj21s7

Picked one up and would take this little light bucket camping over the ST-80-only negative is a 2' high or so platform needed for comfortable seated viewing, but built in vixen dovetail on ota is AZ type mount friendly.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

For sure, the ST-80 over the Powerseeker 80/f5.

FWIW

$199 shipped 130mm tabletop dob.

https://store.astron...m8f79s91mhj21s7

Picked one up and would take this little light bucket camping over the ST-80-only negative is a 2' high or so platform needed for comfortable seated viewing, but built in vixen dovetail on ota is AZ type mount friendly.

I had one.. not a bad scope but the focuser is a so-so helical.  It's a different scope than the ST-80.  It's not a scope I would leave in the car and let knock around. And too, table top mounts seem like a good thing but the reality is you have to find a table or something to set the scope on and then they are quite awkward.. Tripods are a wonderful invention..  For camping, it could work if it was clear there's a solid table.

The ST-80 is more robust and more rugged, it's not only a decent low to mid power astroscope but it's a surprisingly good terrestrial/birding scope as well. 

Jon

#12 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I just looked at the 80AZS again - that sure looks like an ST-80 tube.  But the mount and tripod are probably going to be a liability.  And the diagonal (as someone said) is probably restricting as well for wide-field, but it works OK on my long 80.  If you could put it on a tripod block and use a video tripod that would be a good combination.

#13 Abb

Abb

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Windsor Ontario Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

I've got the ST80-A. It's a great scope (much better than I was initially expecting) with good lenses that are supposedly better than what comes with the T model. It's got a 8x40 finder scope (which I don't use on that scope).

I've had this scope for almost a year now it's certainly a keeper. Good luck with whatever you go with!

#14 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Well I'm going for the Orion ST80. Should be a keeper even when I get a larger aperture apo refractor down the road. My main planetary scope is my dob. It's much better than my 102mm achro scope could ever hope to be. Thanx everyone for your valuable input.

Need a decent alt/az mount for an Orion Short Tube 80mm refractor.

Edited by audioaficionado, 25 August 2014 - 05:06 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Orion, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics