• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

Hi everyone,

recently I bought a Losmandy C14 dovetail with radius block to replace the original Celestron orange extrusion.

However upon assembly it became clear that the new C14HD front cell has a 'chamfered' edge so the radius block cannot be seated perpendicular to the dovetail....****??

So, my q. is the Original C14 had a straight front cell? I asked the local dealer if the unit is  comparable to the HD edge unit and he said yes.

So, have a look at the pic ...should I return, modify or  (shock horror) ignore the angle?

Thanks.

Mick

Attached Files

Edited by Space99, 22 August 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#2 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

I'm not sure I'm understanding the picture but certainly you should put in a call to Losmandy.  If he does not have EdgeHD radius blocks he'll want to make them, dovetails and their supports have been a bread and butter item for many years.  

GN

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

http://starizona.com...perStar C14.jpg

I went here and this picture helps show the problem.  You can zoom in a bit.  It doesn't even seem that the orange dovetail fits very well.  But the radial blocks were designed to provide a clean fit where the Celestron dovetails provide a crude one. It is clear that the flat radial blocks are going to tilt in a way that defeats the purpose of getting a really close-fitting Losmandy set up.  

So what you need to do here is call Scott up and say there is an issue with the hardware and you don't mind being guinea pig if he wants to keep up with C14 OTAs.  I am blessed with a local machine shop that doesn't charge me set up fees and helps me out with issues like this, so sometimes I handle problems like this locally.  The shop is accustomed to me dragging in telescopes and showing them things that don't fit right.

It might be that they already have EdgeHD radial blocks and you just needed to ask.   But of course, people order these things from retail vendors too.

FYI it's not just Celestron or Losmandy.  The AP GT130 refractor is something of a walking hardware disaster.  

Greg N

• BullTerrier likes this

#4 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Greg,

I emailed Scott.

Cheers,

Mick

#5 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

A little too late but I can tell you that the ADM system fits flawlessly. 

#6 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Thanks Charles   :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

#7 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Charles   :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

You can return the one you bought for a refund.  It is reasonable to expect a fit to a C14.  Losmandy either can fit an EdgeHD or they can't, but it's not like the EdgeHDs came out last month.  GN 

#8 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

Yes Greg, I could return it. I did email Losmandy and the local dealer (I'm in Australia) Bintel...... so far no response     :(

I can get a local workshop to cut me the radius blocks, but need an accurate drawing of the front cell. Perhaps I need to contact Celestron?

Mick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics