SkySafari and Nexstar no in Sync?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

I'm trying to get full telescope control of my Celestron Nexstar 11GPS using a StarryNight Bluetooth adapter and Skysafari Plus on my Android based Note 3.

After doing the "successful" routine alignment on the telescope I can obtain a connection ( using  the connect button) and can slew the telescope using the arrows on the Note 3. There are a few issues however that I'm not sure of?

1) Once connected, Skysafari shows a different location of the sky than where the telescope is pointed. If I center the telescope on where Skysafari is and hit "Sync" It seems to work as if everything in fine, however selecting a "goto" object in Skysafari sends the telescope to another part of the sky? 

I tried this twice, once with the telescope GPS on and once with it off (just in case).  Both times resulted in the same error.

2) Once I've hit the "sync" bottom (within Skysafari) the telescope Hand Controller no longer works and pressing any button on the HC results in the number "6" flashing in the top right corner.  Is this normal?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

Make sure that the settings in the scope HC...latitude, longitude, time, zone, DST agree with what's in Starry Night. ;)

#3 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

No, this is not normal.  Please open a support ticket at:

https://support.simu...us_requests/new

#4 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

@ Uncle Rod ~ I didn't check the settings as I figured this would be all part of the "connect" and "sync" features, 

I had my CGE (C14) out last night and gave it another go. This time however I made sure the "Set Time and Location" box in the SkySafari Set up was NOT checked.

This seemed to do the trick as after hitting "Sync", the Telescope centered on anything I selected within the App whether using "search", a listed object, or just  selecting something  on the visual screen.  It's quite handy to be able to see the exact location, size and magnitude of something before "wasting" a GOTO trip to something not visible.

I was also able to "GOTO" Comet Jaques (C/2014 E2), something I could have put the co-ordinance in the HC for, but much easier with SkySafari.

@ Bill ~ Even though the app worked wonderfully, the HC still showed the #5  on the top right and was "locked"  once I "synced" the App. And adjustments (centering, Etc) needed to be done with the App's direction arrow so  I'll follow through fill out a support ticket to see If there's a way to get both to work simultaneously.

Mike

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

I would still ask you to submit a support ticket.  Despite the appearances, this is not our support site.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Glad you got 'er goin'! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics