Photo

Now What? Bought a Unitron 128 at a garage sale!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dablodger

dablodger

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Last week I bought a cool looking telescope for $30 at a garage sale.  I know absolutely nothing about telescopes and astronomy,  but was just hoping it could be a fun activity with my grandkids.  Well, after some research it appears I scored on my purchase.

Everything seems to be in good working order, but there are no eyepieces nor a diagonal, I think that is the right term.  The motor drive works and I have the original boxes including a page from a newspaper dated in 1972. 

After a research I now know enough to ask some questions.  I don't want to spend a great deal of money for high-end accessories and I to think I want to find and buy the original Unihex turret.  I hadn't planned on selling it, but might consider since it is a collectable.  My primary objective now is to not spend a great deal to get it up and running with adequate and usable optics and then decide what is next.

1) Should I get a diagonal and a few .965 eyepieces?  If so, any recommendations?
2) Should I get an adaptor to go from .965 to 1.25?  If so, any recommendations?
3) Is it worth finding and paying the money for the original Unihex?
4) Anything else I should consider?

Photos --> https://www.flickr.c...57646331632300/

Thank you so much....I am really starting flat footed on this one.

Don

• Charles B. likes this

#2 mdowns

mdowns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Holy cow Don!

30 bucks for this classic is an amazing find. Serious congratulations are in order.Everyone is different about the eyepieces. You will certainly be able to get a very wide variety in 1.25" though occasionally some very fine used .965s come along. Spend some time here trolling the forums especially refractors and classics. There is a boatload of info available here directly pertaining to your questions. I should have first said welcome but was really stunned by what you found for thirty dollars. You did very very well!

#3 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Quick!, buy a lottery ticket to see if your luck still holds!

And offer a word of thanks for being blessed to find such a scope deal.

You're going to have to spend at least another $30 for a couple decent eyepieces.You can look for classic ones or go to telescopewarehouse.com and order his Meade 25mmMA in .965 and a .965 diagonal and barlow.

You will see the occasional Unihex offered at well over $100

#4 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

AhWhhaaaatt... 30$ ??? </jaw dropping>. . .

Happy early Christmas !!!

Allan

PS: PM me for a cheap but working Unitron diagonal + EP (optically fine, some cosmetic issues)

Edited by AllanDystrup, 23 August 2014 - 01:19 AM.

• Ronnie Miller likes this

#5 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

Welcome! Love this scope, perfect size and excellent build quality.

Attached Files

Edited by sgorton99, 23 August 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#6 dablodger

dablodger

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thank for all the comments and advice...all very helpful.  The learning curve has been rather steep, but quite fun.  And thanks for the pix of your Unitron 128.  I wasn't sure what those two plates were on the top tube.  From the pix I am guessing it is how you would watch a solar eclipse...right?

Another Q. After spending too much time watching Youtube videos on how to use the Eq mount, I think I now have a rudimentary idea on how to align it and use it to follow an object.   But I still do not know what and how to use the angled adjustment on RA axis...the one that lowers or raises the scope's angle while in a neutral position?  Would that depend on where I am on planet earth...eg., latitude??  I don't know where it should be set?  

Thanks again....and it is hard to believe I now know what RA stands for...yikes.

Don

#7 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

I still do not know what and how to use the angled adjustment on RA axis...

Yes, it's for setting your current geographical lattitude

You can find a description here at : http://geogdata.csun...taire/classics/

In Polarex-Unitron Equatorial Refractor Manual, 12 pages, black and white (8.3 MB). Courtesy of Herman Perk.

Part IV

Allan

#8 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Just for your perspective. These model 128 telescopes in good condition sell in the $600-$900 range. At least that's what I've seen several offered for. In my opinion they are worth the higher price. It's a quality engineered package and will last a lifetime or more if cared for.

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics