•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Now What? Bought a Unitron 128 at a garage sale!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dablodger

dablodger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Last week I bought a cool looking telescope for $30 at a garage sale.  I know absolutely nothing about telescopes and astronomy,  but was just hoping it could be a fun activity with my grandkids.  Well, after some research it appears I scored on my purchase.

Everything seems to be in good working order, but there are no eyepieces nor a diagonal, I think that is the right term.  The motor drive works and I have the original boxes including a page from a newspaper dated in 1972. 

After a research I now know enough to ask some questions.  I don't want to spend a great deal of money for high-end accessories and I to think I want to find and buy the original Unihex turret.  I hadn't planned on selling it, but might consider since it is a collectable.  My primary objective now is to not spend a great deal to get it up and running with adequate and usable optics and then decide what is next.

1) Should I get a diagonal and a few .965 eyepieces?  If so, any recommendations?
2) Should I get an adaptor to go from .965 to 1.25?  If so, any recommendations?
3) Is it worth finding and paying the money for the original Unihex?
4) Anything else I should consider?

Photos --> https://www.flickr.c...57646331632300/

Thank you so much....I am really starting flat footed on this one.

Don

• Charles B. likes this

#2 mdowns

mdowns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Holy cow Don!

30 bucks for this classic is an amazing find. Serious congratulations are in order.Everyone is different about the eyepieces. You will certainly be able to get a very wide variety in 1.25" though occasionally some very fine used .965s come along. Spend some time here trolling the forums especially refractors and classics. There is a boatload of info available here directly pertaining to your questions. I should have first said welcome but was really stunned by what you found for thirty dollars. You did very very well!

#3 BigC

BigC

Aurora

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Quick!, buy a lottery ticket to see if your luck still holds!

And offer a word of thanks for being blessed to find such a scope deal.

You're going to have to spend at least another $30 for a couple decent eyepieces.You can look for classic ones or go to telescopewarehouse.com and order his Meade 25mmMA in .965 and a .965 diagonal and barlow.

You will see the occasional Unihex offered at well over $100

#4 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Viking 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

AhWhhaaaatt... 30$ ??? </jaw dropping>. . .

Happy early Christmas !!!

Allan

PS: PM me for a cheap but working Unitron diagonal + EP (optically fine, some cosmetic issues)

Edited by AllanDystrup, 23 August 2014 - 01:19 AM.

• Ronnie Miller likes this

#5 sgorton99

sgorton99

Soyuz

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

Welcome! Love this scope, perfect size and excellent build quality.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC06338.JPG

Edited by sgorton99, 23 August 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#6 dablodger

dablodger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thank for all the comments and advice...all very helpful.  The learning curve has been rather steep, but quite fun.  And thanks for the pix of your Unitron 128.  I wasn't sure what those two plates were on the top tube.  From the pix I am guessing it is how you would watch a solar eclipse...right?

Another Q. After spending too much time watching Youtube videos on how to use the Eq mount, I think I now have a rudimentary idea on how to align it and use it to follow an object.   But I still do not know what and how to use the angled adjustment on RA axis...the one that lowers or raises the scope's angle while in a neutral position?  Would that depend on where I am on planet earth...eg., latitude??  I don't know where it should be set?  

Thanks again....and it is hard to believe I now know what RA stands for...yikes.

Don

#7 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Viking 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

I still do not know what and how to use the angled adjustment on RA axis...

Yes, it's for setting your current geographical lattitude

You can find a description here at : http://geogdata.csun...taire/classics/

In Polarex-Unitron Equatorial Refractor Manual, 12 pages, black and white (8.3 MB). Courtesy of Herman Perk.

Part IV

Allan

#8 Bonco

Bonco

Soyuz

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Just for your perspective. These model 128 telescopes in good condition sell in the $600-$900 range. At least that's what I've seen several offered for. In my opinion they are worth the higher price. It's a quality engineered package and will last a lifetime or more if cared for.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics