The SKY X disappointed so far with telescope control

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Messenger

• Loc: North of Toronto

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

I purchased the The Sky from Software Bisque serious edition to control my Vixen sxd mount -

The software was simple to use and very easy to set up the software connection with the telescope.

The problem that I am having is I can slew with the software from one object to another easily but I don't have any control to slew just a little - example you want to centre something in the eyepiece of move to another area thats close.

I have to click on the screen and do a "GOTO" in order to move the scope, other software I have used usually has arrow buttons that allow fine movement.

From what I can see this is an option for some models but doesn't seem present with the Vixen model. Not sure why?

Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it?

Had I known this was going to happen I wouldn't have bought the program. I wonder if I need to upgrade to the professional version to get this ability?

#2 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

Tim,

Supposedly SkyX supports Vixen Sphinx and Spinx Deluxe mounts. The manual does mention that if you have a Vixen Sphinx HTTP mount, it requires firmware version 1.2 build 35 and later in the mount. There are several set up steps required for the mount.

You are not getting the complete Telescope dialog screen? Have attached sample.

JohnD

Attached Files

#3 Tim

Tim

Messenger

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hi JohnD correct I am not getting the screen that you show above.

The middle part with the green arrows I am missing. I will check my software versions I have updated it the past but don't remember what the latest update was.

I am using an apple airport express wifi plugged directly into the star book and have connected my mac to that wifi signal and was easy to do..

I do have goto control just not the screen that you show..Seems odd you can slew the scope to a position but don't have the fine adjustment. Hopefully its me and that I need to only upgrade the firmware.

#4 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

Hi JohnD correct I am not getting the screen that you show above.

The middle part with the green arrows I am missing. I will check my software versions I have updated it the past but don't remember what the latest update was.

I am using an apple airport express wifi plugged directly into the star book and have connected my mac to that wifi signal and was easy to do..

I do have goto control just not the screen that you show..Seems odd you can slew the scope to a position but don't have the fine adjustment. Hopefully its me and that I need to only upgrade the firmware.

I have the TSX serious edition and found that it is very limited when compared with the full up professional version, especially with it's interfaces.  I still have it installed, but almost never use it now.  Notice on the screenshot attached by John that the mount is a Paramount ME, which I think comes with the full up version of TSX.

Regards,

Charlie B

#5 Tim

Tim

Messenger

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hi Charlie and yes I was wondering if that was the issue or not?

I don't want to spend the money upgrading and find out it still doesn't work after upgrading.

Software Bisque website does say the serious edition does provide telescope control. I guess I do have that but its ability so far is limited.

I won't comment further on the software until I know that I have the proper firmware installed as that wouldn't be fair to Software Bisque - as JohnD has pointed out in the manual they are clear as to what you need to have for the software to work properly.

#6 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hi Charlie and yes I was wondering if that was the issue or not?

I don't want to spend the money upgrading and find out it still doesn't work after upgrading.

Software Bisque website does say the serious edition does provide telescope control. I guess I do have that but its ability so far is limited.

I won't comment further on the software until I know that I have the proper firmware installed as that wouldn't be fair to Software Bisque - as JohnD has pointed out in the manual they are clear as to what you need to have for the software to work properly.

I've had the best luck with the ASCOM interface selection, not the TSX built-in drivers. 

Regards,

Charlie B

#7 Tim

Tim

Messenger

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

HI Charlie how do you select the ASCOM interface? I don't see that as an option ?

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

The Sky X supports ASCOM. You can use the mount with an ASCOM driver and invoke ASCOM's "hand control," I believe, which will do just what you are asking.

#9 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

HI Charlie how do you select the ASCOM interface? I don't see that as an option ?

On the telescope setup mount pulldown Choose...  select "ASCOM Mount", then, under the Mount setup pulldown Settings... select your mount driver.  However, you need to download and install the ASCOM platform and vixen drivers.  I suspect you don't see that option because you have not installed the ASCOM platform and drivers.

Regards,

Charlie

#10 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like move/jog buttons don't work in SkyX (any version) on a Vixen mount with the Starbook: http://www.bisque.co...ms/t/13370.aspx.

The ASCOM route (with the virtual hand controller) sounds like an option if you're running Windows. It looks, however, like you are using a Macintosh, so you may be out of luck since the ASCOM architecture does not support the Macintosh.

All of which really blows. You might ask Bisque directly if they can suggest a work around.

Edited by Ken Sturrock, 23 August 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#11 Tim

Tim

Messenger

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

I will get the parallel software for Mac and install windows maybe ASCOM will run under that and not sure.

Wonder if I will need to buy another Version of the Sky or if it will work using the same key in windows?

Really think that Software Bisque should be more clear about the lack of functionality with the software!

I have read comments that the issue is Vixen command set and limited options but I see other software that works very well and doesn't have an issue with Vixen control - Heck even my iPad with an app so far can do a better job!

I have read numerous post on the Bisque site and many have had the same issue.. I posted a question on the software Bisque site - wait and see if it can be resolved.  

#12 Tim

Tim

Messenger

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

UPDATE - installed parallel software then windows 8.1 cheaper to do this than buy a new laptop - now running windows on my Mac - downloaded and installed ASCOM had to do a few things to get that working -

installed backyard EOS and Align master as well.. Now if only the clouds would go away - next step find out if I can use THE SKY  same license key for windows - program is still only installed on one computer just happens to be in a different operating system.. 

#13 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that you can *not* use the same key from Macintosh SkyX on the Windows version but I believe that Bisque will SWITCH license types for people who want to change from one platform to the other. Interestingly (oddly? inconveniently?), the SkyX license allows you to run the software on two different computers that you own but both need to be the same operating system...

Now that you have Windows and ASCOM, have you tried an alternate program with telescope control like Cartes du Ciel or Stellarium (both free)?

I saw your question on the Software Bisque site. Best of luck.

Edited by Ken Sturrock, 25 August 2014 - 09:16 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics