•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M103 question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

Messing around with my Zixen R130Sf tonight with the CG-4 and the RA drive motor hooked up. It seems to be tracking well. Just wondering, if your looking at M103 what do you see? I see 5 prominent stars with the ES82 8.8 at 73.8X. Should I be seeing more? Do I need to barlow this thing? It's not the greatest night so far but it's clearing nicely. Maybe it will look better later.

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

The image here:

http://messier.seds.org/m/m103.html

pretty much matches the view in my scope.

Really deep photos show a lot of stars (perhaps >1000).

But visually, it's a much smaller number.

#3 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

Thanks Don, I guess That answers my question very well. Visual through a 130 I guess I did ok. Should have took out the 12" but I need my rest. Better times are coming soon.

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

Messing around with my Zixen R130Sf tonight with the CG-4 and the RA drive motor hooked up. It seems to be tracking well. Just wondering, if your looking at M103 what do you see? I see 5 prominent stars with the ES82 8.8 at 73.8X. Should I be seeing more? Do I need to barlow this thing? It's not the greatest night so far but it's clearing nicely. Maybe it will look better later.

Yes, there are five prominent stars, and through a small scope under bright skies that's all that I see. However, there's also a swarm of much fainter stars enveloping the center of the pattern. I would expect them to be visible at 74X through a 5-inch scope, but they certainly wouldn't be prominent. It might well depend on your sky conditions.

#5 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Tony, I was thinking about the swarm. I thought I should be seeing it. Last night was not the greatest because it was raining most of the day. There was a lot of moisture in the air. Better days are coming.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics