how many of us just enjoy the optics?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

I wanted to see who else feels this way. When I was a small child, it simply amazed me that I could look through my uncle's 7x35 binos and everything seem closer and larger. I would sit on the porch and study how it made the cars in the driveway look flat also. Like I was looking at an enlarged cardboard cutout of them. The optics and workings and general observing fascinated me! Not enough to last through my early adulthood, but a great deal nonetheless. 

As i stepped into astronomy MANY years later the science and astronomy interest peaked for awhile, but its back now to the optics. If i cant get out because of bad conditions, no big deal. I watch birds and squirrels play in the yard, cargo ships, shrimp boats, and recreational boats in the gulf. If I go to the property in the country, I'll look for deer, turkey, and bobcats. It doesn't have to be planets and DSO's. To me its the enjoyment of that childhood memory of looking at something far away, and knowing that this is how Lee Majors must feel when the "Six Million Dollar Man" used his bionic eye! Lol! Dated myself there! :) Its the love of enjoying not only the worlds far away in space, but also the world around us. 

Edited by rnc39560, 22 August 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#2 cpper

cpper

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

I agree :)

Although my dobsonian is not for terrestrial viewing I enjoyed some days ago looking at the birds and a distant farm, and tracking a hawk and many planes. 

• rnc39560 likes this

#3 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:26 AM

I forgot about planes and helicopters! I love checking them out! I'll run to the car and grab my 10x50 binos if I see a low flying one! Lol! We have a couple military bases and the Coast Guard. So its no shortage of aircraft. I'll track them too with xt8 dob. 

#4 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:47 AM

With time restrictions and perpetually poor conditions it's all that's left.

• rnc39560 likes this

#5 JMKarian

JMKarian

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northwestern PA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:20 AM

rnc39560,

I can identify with you 100%.  The gift of vision is so special, and combined with the right  optical magic will always fascinate and entertain.  I enjoy sitting on the deck on a sunny morning with a cup of coffee and just pick a random area in the distance to explore.  There's always something.  It might be watching a gypsy moth feasting on the now-serrated edge of a leaf at 100 feet, or the slow ascent of a garden slug on a plant 75 feet away.  Great optics make it even more special when you can "resolve" the fine glint and sparkle of individual dew drops.  ANYTIME is scope time !

• rnc39560 likes this

#6 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

I use a communication tower ... located on a ridge 5.2 miles from me ... to test out new telescope, binoculars and eyepieces. That tower and I have become great friends over the past 20 years!

• rnc39560 likes this

#7 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

I'll be the odd one here.  :)  While I admire and enjoy the "optical tools," I'd have to say that I'm mainly interested in what I can see with them.  I love the old C8 that I've been using since '77, and I have a number of pairs of binoculars that I often find myself running in and out with seeing how each one shows an object.  I enjoy the "time travel" of using really old binoculars and opera glasses.  Still, if I could get good views of DSO's and such with a magnifying glass, I'd probably use it.  Sometimes, it seems like telescopes and things almost "get in the way."

Marty

• rnc39560 likes this

#8 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Only a little. I enjoy making a mirror and the mechanics of making a telescope, but for me it's seeing the deep sky objects. I don't really care much for terrestrial viewing. It never looks quite right to me, though it's kind of neat in a funhouse way. It reminds me of that movie scene where the moon looks the size of a three story building in the background. I prefer extraterrestrial viewing.

I understand your passion but it's not mine.

Rock on!

• rnc39560 likes this

#9 Star-gaze69

Star-gaze69

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I wanted to see who else feels this way. When I was a small child, it simply amazed me that I could look through my uncle's 7x35 binos and everything seem closer and larger. I would sit on the porch and study how it made the cars in the driveway look flat also. Like I was looking at an enlarged cardboard cutout of them. The optics and workings and general observing fascinated me! Not enough to last through my early adulthood, but a great deal nonetheless. 

As i stepped into astronomy MANY years later the science and astronomy interest peaked for awhile, but its back now to the optics. If i cant get out because of bad conditions, no big deal. I watch birds and squirrels play in the yard, cargo ships, shrimp boats, and recreational boats in the gulf. If I go to the property in the country, I'll look for deer, turkey, and bobcats. It doesn't have to be planets and DSO's. To me its the enjoyment of that childhood memory of looking at something far away, and knowing that this is how Lee Majors must feel when the "Six Million Dollar Man" used his bionic eye! Lol! Dated myself there! :) Its the love of enjoying not only the worlds far away in space, but also the world around us. 

I have been in love with optics ever since my parents bought me my first telescope; a 60 mm. refractor from Edmund Scientific. I've been through a succession of telescopes since that one. A 4.25 Newt., a 6" Newt., another 6" Newt. when I moved to Texas, and now an 8" SCT. I've had a parade of binoculars, and don't get me started on all my cameras and lenses. I've even had a few microscopes down the line. Hmmm. maybe it's time for another microscope....or that RFT refractor.....or a better DSLR camera.......

• rnc39560 likes this

#10 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

During the day when i'm not using my Bushnell 10x50's for astronomy, it's fun to watch the birds fly on my fence and try to identify the species.

• rnc39560 likes this

#11 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

I'll be the odd one here.  :)  While I admire and enjoy the "optical tools," I'd have to say that I'm mainly interested in what I can see with them.  I love the old C8 that I've been using since '77, and I have a number of pairs of binoculars that I often find myself running in and out with seeing how each one shows an object.  I enjoy the "time travel" of using really old binoculars and opera glasses.  Still, if I could get good views of DSO's and such with a magnifying glass, I'd probably use it.  Sometimes, it seems like telescopes and things almost "get in the way."

Marty

THat was what I'm meaning. USING the optics to see different things. Not just the tool, and not just extraterrestial things, but the world around us. Just the fun of enjoying different things. 

#12 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

I have been in love with optics ever since my parents bought me my first telescope; a 60 mm. refractor from Edmund Scientific. I've been through a succession of telescopes since that one. A 4.25 Newt., a 6" Newt., another 6" Newt. when I moved to Texas, and now an 8" SCT. I've had a parade of binoculars, and don't get me started on all my cameras and lenses. I've even had a few microscopes down the line. Hmmm. maybe it's time for another microscope....or that RFT refractor.....or a better DSLR camera.......

I cant tell you how many times i have thought of getting a microscope! Lol! 

#13 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

This is an interesting topic. I never thought of using my telescope for fun during the day. I will now have to take a look and see what a nice portable short tube refractor with quick set up will cost me.

I have to say when I was calibrating my finder scope I was fascinated by the transmitter top of the Prudential Building here in Boston MA. I think I stared at it for a good half hour just taking in all the detail that is atop of all these buildings... Might have to do more of that type of viewing from my deck. Hopefully I won't have any cops called on me...

Although binoculars are always an option... Have a pair of those already.... Might have to keep those in the car for moments just as you describe.
  • rnc39560 likes this

#14 jethro

jethro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockefeller, Pa

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

I use my 80mm Table Top looking at everything. :snoopy:

#15 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

This is an interesting topic. I never thought of using my telescope for fun during the day. I will now have to take a look and see what a nice portable short tube refractor with quick set up will cost me.

I have to say when I was calibrating my finder scope I was fascinated by the transmitter top of the Prudential Building here in Boston MA. I think I stared at it for a good half hour just taking in all the detail that is atop of all these buildings... Might have to do more of that type of viewing from my deck. Hopefully I won't have any cops called on me...

Although binoculars are always an option... Have a pair of those already.... Might have to keep those in the car for moments just as you describe.

I picked up a Celestron 70mm travel scope used for $40. I take it to the beach and the rural property on alt/az. I have a WO 80 Zenithstar also, I just got it, but not taking it to the beach. I use it as grab any go at home. If something happens to the Celestron its a $40. I'd feel better about that. Lol! 

#16 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

I also notice our tower so often now, I called and reported when the top red light was out. :) Had to help the old fellow as its helped me MANY times. 

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

You know, there's more to life then watching lightbulbs burn out..... :lol:

• rnc39560 likes this

#18 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Lol... can't help it Randy. I look at that tower EVERY time I walk out the front door now. Hardly noticed it before I used it to site in finders. 

Daniel, also an Orion ST 80 is good quality grab and go for terrestrial as well astro that's very capable and inexpensive. If I were wanting astro too I would probably go ED or APO if budget allowed. I just wouldn't use the higher $  ones in rugged or sandy terrain. Just me though. 

• Daniel Guzas likes this

#19 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: los angeles

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

From my hilltop balcony I love to people watch, whether on the street, in their yards, or through their windows.

• rnc39560 likes this

#20 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

From my hilltop balcony I love to people watch, whether on the street, in their yards, or through their windows.

Hmmm...  I think all you need to look in people's windows is an apple crate to stand on til the police come...

Marty

• rnc39560 likes this

#21 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

:lol:  :funny: 

#22 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Lol... can't help it Randy. I look at that tower EVERY time I walk out the front door now. Hardly noticed it before I used it to site in finders.
Daniel, also an Orion ST 80 is good quality grab and go for terrestrial as well astro that's very capable and inexpensive. If I were wanting astro too I would probably go ED or APO if budget allowed. I just wouldn't use the higher $ ones in rugged or sandy terrain. Just me though.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T rnc39560!!!

I have been looking at the short tube refractors to round out my collection... And Orion the Orion ST 80 is one of the ones I have been looking at... However I am fond of the Skywatcher Startravel 120T. Unfortunately they are hard to come by here in the USA... However I have connections in Ireland and one of my "inlaws" has a internet telescope company who sells Skywatcher... Might just have to give him some business!

Yep! Those are NICE!

#23 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

Yes, telescopes (including binoculars) are definitely magical; they allow you to see things that are hidden from the common masses. I still remember that feeling of power from my earliest childhood. That's one of the reasons why I'm mystified how anybody could go through life without owning a pair of binoculars -- so much magic for so little money. It's as though you could step into a fairy tale and actually purchase a pair of Seven League Boots.

Magnifying glasses and microscopes are the same -- maybe even more so. I even got that same buzz a few weeks ago, when I got a new pair of eyeglasses with a slightly different prescription.
  • rnc39560 likes this

#24 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

Along with flashlights, I keep, and use, scopes and binoculars everywhere.  Binocs in the car and truck, a spotting scope in the kitchen, one in the bedroom, and one in my shop, a small monocular in the small backpack that is my portable office,  and five astronomy scopes. And, three microscopes, one a stereo view. Everything...birds, critters, people, boats, planes, bugs, seeds, clusters, planets, galaxies, is a candidate for a look. 

• rnc39560 likes this

#25 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

Lol... my dresser top companion. 4" lens 

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics