• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 jethro

jethro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockefeller, Pa

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I'm glad many think about, and do, the same thng.

Now I have the proof that I'm the odd ball my wife thinks.

• rnc39560 likes this

#52 jethro

jethro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockefeller, Pa

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

By the way, don't go telling my better half about the proof.

She likes me as a cracked egg.

• rnc39560 likes this

#53 clmurphy74

clmurphy74

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Don't worry, I won't.  :lol:  I had to get creative to hide the broken glass... typically one of my Grandmother's mason jars she just purchased to can something grown in the garden.... :shocked:

• rnc39560 likes this

#54 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

I wanted to see who else feels this way. When I was a small child, it simply amazed me that I could look through my uncle's 7x35 binos and everything seem closer and larger. I would sit on the porch and study how it made the cars in the driveway look flat also. Like I was looking at an enlarged cardboard cutout of them. The optics and workings and general observing fascinated me! Not enough to last through my early adulthood, but a great deal nonetheless. 

As i stepped into astronomy MANY years later the science and astronomy interest peaked for awhile, but its back now to the optics. If i cant get out because of bad conditions, no big deal. I watch birds and squirrels play in the yard, cargo ships, shrimp boats, and recreational boats in the gulf. If I go to the property in the country, I'll look for deer, turkey, and bobcats. It doesn't have to be planets and DSO's. To me its the enjoyment of that childhood memory of looking at something far away, and knowing that this is how Lee Majors must feel when the "Six Million Dollar Man" used his bionic eye! Lol! Dated myself there! :) Its the love of enjoying not only the worlds far away in space, but also the world around us. 

Yes, I too definitely enjoy the super abilities that the optics give us. Just the act of looking into the eyepiece is something very, very novel to me, be it during the night or day. This past terrible winter, I found myself setting up my small scopes as spotting scopes indoors and just looking at whatever I could. As spring came around and the birds came out and sat on the bare trees, I got some birding done. During the night, I would bring one of my dobs to either my south or east facing window and take in the sights. I could see bright DSOs and planets. It kept me sane during the polar vortex's extended visit! 

I also like looking through binos too. So yeah, definitely love the optics! Even now, as I mull dipping my toes in the Video astronomy waters, I know that I will not give up visual observing anytime soon. 

• rnc39560 likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics