• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Complaining about Texas summer weather???  why complain about bad weather when the night sky is the shortest?  you will be rubbing our noses in it come Jan/Feb when the night is long and your weather is much more tolerable for long nights of viewing compared to the northern hinterlands.....

• havasman likes this

#52 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Here in Arizona, we're going through the summer monsoon season (last week, we had some crazy flooding north of Phoenix) with its attendant clouds and storms. Of course, the clear period we had earlier this month was during full moon. 

#53 XRinger

XRinger

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Woburn, MA USA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

It's been a very mild summer up here in MA. Being a Texan, it feels like Fall is here already.

Since it's not real warm at night, long pants and a heavy pull-over helps keep the mosquitoes at bay.

The Dew is my problem. Last night around 10:30, I reached over to the get my binoculars off a glass table top,

and it was soaking wet. Seems like it was dry one second and wet two seconds later! I packed it in.

Being a newbie, I don't want my gear getting too wet.. Just doesn't seem right.

When it gets colder, I hope to have my remote control gear all tuned up.

That way I can sit in the den and watch the sky on my 42" EDTV. :)

Just hope I don't fall asleep and wake up to find my rig covered in snow and ice..

I hate the winter in NE..  And of course there's always some animals around, just in case you fall and break some bones.. ;)

P1010694_zps03cd9b70.jpg

• rnc39560 and havasman like this

#54 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

For the dew, I recommend a small covered observing table or other shelter.

Since you are Texan, any recommendation of tools to deal with the other matter would likely be superfluous.  :grin:

Edited by amicus sidera, 26 August 2014 - 09:55 AM.

• XRinger likes this

#55 stryder

stryder

Sputnik

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

It's been downright awful this summer here in Cincinnati. I've taken my rig out twice in the past three months -- here's hoping for a better Fall and a mild (and dry) Winter.

#56 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Very nice pic XRinger! Welcome to CN! 

Edited by rnc39560, 28 August 2014 - 11:08 AM.

• havasman likes this

#57 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Ya'll can have your winter.  I'll take the heat and humidity anytime over it.  AND the bugs.  The older I get, the colder I get.

• havasman likes this

#58 ggalilei

ggalilei

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

Are those coyotes, XRinger? Would they ever attack humans or specifically me and my dog? I hear them howling not far from my home every night and I wonder ....

I feel better about my heat and humidity (mysteriously few mosquitoes), plus freezing cold winters, after reading this thread, Seems we are all dealing with one adversity or another. I had been thinking about moving, but it doesn't sound like there is a perfect place out there, it's either heat or cold, mosquitoes, clouds, sandstorms, monsoons, expensive living costs, light pollution, etc. After all, I do get some pretty views right from my deck, and I can appreciate that.

#59 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Weather is generally beautiful out here in the Pacific Northwest. Mid to late summer does have some smoke at times from forest fires, but that's only spotty depending if you have a fire nearby in your local region. Mosquitoes are easily dealt with and there are no humidity issues during the summers. Oh and we have some of the darkest skies in the lower 48.

#60 ggalilei

ggalilei

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

You HAD to one-up me, didn't you? Well, there, we are even at 845 posts!

... just kidding.

#61 clmurphy74

clmurphy74

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

IMO, there is no such thing as a perfect spot in an imperfect world...

Though if I could "design" weather, then I'd take a page or two from Anne McCaffrey! :lol: That way it would only rain just after daybreak or just before sunset (for an hour or two at most).  Then there would be no pesky clouds to interfere with my starwatching (Sol included!) :waytogo:

#62 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

Are those coyotes, XRinger? Would they ever attack humans or specifically me and my dog? I hear them howling not far from my home every night and I wonder ....

I feel better about my heat and humidity (mysteriously few mosquitoes), plus freezing cold winters, after reading this thread, Seems we are all dealing with one adversity or another. I had been thinking about moving, but it doesn't sound like there is a perfect place out there, it's either heat or cold, mosquitoes, clouds, sandstorms, monsoons, expensive living costs, light pollution, etc. After all, I do get some pretty views right from my deck, and I can appreciate that.

Truthfully, they won't bother you much unless there's young around or they're sick (rabies, etc...), but your dog is another matter....they'd love to get your dog to chase one of them.....and have them for dinner......

• havasman likes this

#63 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

It is the humidity that gets me more than the heat. Within minutes everything including my clothes are soaking wet. Within a half hour water is running down my scope and my star altas is turning to soup even if I keep it covered. C'mon fall!

• rnc39560 likes this

#64 XRinger

XRinger

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

Coyotes I've seen in Texas are smaller than these Boston area Coyotes.

Some of these are almost wolf sized. They have been attacking a few people around here, and they do love dogs and cats.

We are in a densely populated area, so they don't fear people much, and it's common to see them in the back yard, day and night.

What's really scary is running into a big one out in the woods. They just stand there and try to stare you down.

When it happened to me, I was unarmed and the Coyote was the size of a large German Shepard.

Another time, I was walking in the backyard woods and heard a threatening growling. Close, loud, deep and unnerving. Near a den?

We had one chase, kill and eat a young turkey, in the middle of the day, all within 30 yards of our home.

It took him 45 minutes to finish eating the turkey, just behind my backyard.

Sometimes I'll hear something outside at night, an view the security cam footage the next morning.

It seems that our Coyotes really love rabbits.

I turn off the cameras when I'm using the scope, they emit IR and the Samsung sees them.

So, when I hear something large moving around, I have no clue what it is.

(Another reason to use remote-control telescopes)! ;)

This all started a few years ago and is getting worse by the year.

#65 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Here in Holland, I've only seen 1 star in the past week.  It's been cloudy and rainy with high winds all week.  Tonight Accuweather predicts heavy rain with chance of flooding and maybe a high of 50 degrees F.  I'd be happy to trade this winter weather for a couple of days of summer with bugs!

Some areas could use a lot of rain right now as they are in a severe drought.

#66 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

I wonder if what you are seeing are coy-wolfs. I've heard that these are becoming fairly wide spread.

We finally got a break tonight! The transparency wasn't that great, but the humidity was down and we had just enough breeze to make it comfortable. 

#67 havasman

havasman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

nothing to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up like a coyote that does not run. to me, scarier than rattlesnakes. btw, the snakes at the dark site so far have all been king snakes & they're always welcome.

• rnc39560 likes this

#68 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

I honestly don't get you guys' complaining.

I spent a whole night last night out with my 16" in the South Texas heat, humidity, and mosquitoes.  Surviving these things is really quite elementary.  Mosquitoes - use repellent.  You guys act like you don't know the stuff exists.  Heat and humidity?  Lots of water.  Also, suck it up.  Do you love astronomy or not?

Do I miss spring and fall?  Of course.  Am I going to miss out on the wonderful sights of the summer sky because of heat and mosquitoes?  Hell no.

Gotta agree with you. 85° and complaining? I think the problem is so many live in air-conditioned bubbles that a few degrees up or down and we fall apart.

#69 XRinger

XRinger

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

"Do you love astronomy or not?"

I do, but I have to admit, living up here in MA for all these years has made me more heat sensitive.

When I visit back home, I walk around with a water bottle and drink half and pour half on my shirt..

Ice cubes in the shirt pockets too! :)  (Family lives in Junction TX and it gets HOT there)..

It's a beautiful fall night here north of Boston, the moon is nice and bright already. Sun is just going down..

And here I sit with a broken AVX.. It's only a week old and ready to be repaired.. :(

I've got my scope attached and I'm using manual mode. I want to see Saturn for a few minutes anyways..

It's cool here (68F), no mosquitoes right now.. :)  

Cheers,

Rich

#70 poodle

poodle

Ranger 4

• Loc: Breckenridge, Texas

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Was out till 4am this morning at a small star party. It was hotter than all get out till the sun went down then it was just plain nice. Never had 1 mosquito buzz me. It is so dry here I would gladdly give up a couple weeks of veiwing just to get a little rain.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics