• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeronimo Cruz

Jeronimo Cruz

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hi all,

I work on Kitt Peak and we are in the middle of summer shutdown projects for the mountain. I have been tasked with cleaning and lubricating an old Meade ED127 refractor plastic focuser. The original lubricant in between the focuser tube and the tube housing has become semi rigid, almost gooey.  Does anyone here have any experience with disassembly/ reassembly and cleaning of the focuser? Your help would be greatly appreciated! I will try to post pics after I go up to the mountain later today.

Thanks!

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Yes photos would help. I believe a friend of mine still has one onf these. When you say old are you talking about late 90s? And it seems to me the focuser is metal on my friends. make sure you take a photo of the bottom side of the focuser. The usual way to get the drawtube out on a rack and pinnion focuser is to remove the pinnion shaft and the drawtube will slide out. But other things like perhaps teflon pads  may come out as well. I've never been to Kitt Peak but I'm going to guess it's cold up there so consideration to a lubricant that performs well in cold climates may be needed. some fair weather lubricants can become more like pancake syrup in cold weather.

#3 tomjones

tomjones

Mariner 2

• Loc: along the 32nd parallel

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

The grease and tape sliders have to be removed.  Clean out completely with some kind of solvent.  Online hardware places sell a sticky back teflon tape.  Cut and place where the original tape strips were.  Now no grease required, and the focuser action is just like Teflon promises.  We don't need no stinkin overpriced crayfords, just modern replacement parts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics