AVS - DSO-1 comparison with Mallincam Micro-EX

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

Al, thanks for the follow up. Wasn't able to catch the show. I've heard that people have been able to use a MC Micro-Ex for autoguiding. That said I suspect it has more to do with the particular frame grabber. Do you think you might give it a shot and see if it matters which camera is used?

#27 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Curtis-

Not sure I will get a chance as its supposed to be cloudy tonight.  If I get a break in the clouds I will try and see if PHD or Metaguide can work with either Micro of DSO, using one of my different frame grabbers.

Al

#28 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Al, thanks, look forward to the report and/or show. From what I've seen metaguide is the software reported to work. This would be very good for whichever camera works (likely both do) since I'm guessing it could also be used as a finder at the same time. If this does work then I would happily buy one of these cameras over a QHY5L. Right now I have a straight through finder ready to go, but if it doesn't come to focus I can always modify my Celestron Firstscope little dob OTA, in fact I'd prefer to be 100% reflectors. :dobsonian:

#29 Jim Meadows

Jim Meadows

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: MS

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

Al, thanks for all the info here on these cameras.

I had also thought the Micro was not capable of using color when 3D-DNR was active. I thought it might even be due to turning on AGC. However, with some help from Rock I have tweaked the settings to get color with the Micro when 3D-DNR is used. For more info, see my post at...

http://www.cloudynig...-100/?p=6327790

Jim

#30 David B in NM

David B in NM

Messenger

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

Jim,

I placed a comment in the thread linked below.

http://www.cloudynig...-100/?p=6327940

David B in NM

#31 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:00 AM

I also made a comment on that link.

The key take-away is that: in videocam MENU's AGC (Automatic Gain Control) setting,

although the user can set OFF, LOW, MEDIUM, or HIGH (which are just different max. gain cap values),

it is the camera's DSP ultimately determines how much gain it will apply to the incoming CCD image sensor signals.

In another word, AGC setting is just your "wish", while camera's DSP may do something else based on other factors.

Manual Gain Setting, if a videocam has that feature, would be more desirable.  

In photon starvation shooting conditions, e.g., videoing/imaging deep space, we know sometimes camera's own intelligent exposure control does not always work out.

This is almost universally true for P&S, DSLR, mirrorless, and videocam, if "Auto" (on exposure and gain) is used.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#32 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

Just to add an interesting point:

What is AGC OFF?

Hint: it is not gain = 0 (which means the picture will always be black), nor gain = 1 (means no gain and no loss).

When the AGC is OFF, the gain is set to a factory default value (I think it a very low gain value.)

If memory serves, Samsung SDC435 does not use the "AGC OFF" term but "Manual Gain" when gain is not in any flavors of "AGC cap" settings.

When Manual Gain is chosen, a slider can be called out for the user to adjust and lock down the gain value permanently (until the setting is once again changed by the user.) 

Hey too smart the DSP may not be the best thing.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#33 Jim Meadows

Jim Meadows

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: MS

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

Al,

Thank you for buying both cameras with your own money and performing this objective comparison. It is great help to the entire EEA community.

Ditto.

Having cameras available in this price range is a plus for anyone looking to get into Video Astronomy. And the more info that can be provided to foster their use the better.

Jim
  • dragonslayer1 likes this

#34 David B in NM

David B in NM

Messenger

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

I felt it may be helpful to cross reference this post for people who may be researching/learning about these two cameras.

http://www.cloudynig...-100/?p=6342754

David B in NM

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics