CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tracking and GoTo without Meade hand controller?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Synon

Synon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Flagstaff AZ

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Is it possible to only use a laptop connection with a Meade LX200 GPS SMT to track and use all the functionality that the hand controller offers? I'm thinking about buying a used one but it does not come with the controller.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

It probably is. The handbox is just an I/O device and Meade's remote handbox software (included with Autostar Suite) emulates it. I can try it tonight to make sure unless someone else here has tried it already.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

I believe It is possible using Meade's Remote HBX software...GPS owners...is that the case?

Edited by rmollise, 26 August 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#4 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Apollo

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Gday Synon

It is possible to run entirely via a remote handbox on a PC if required, but sometimes it can get confused for a while if getting a GPS fix.

( It still works, but comms can get iffy at times, and may be interpreted as a lost connection )

There is also a smartphone app that replaces the ASII Hbx ( using WiFi via the Hbx port, not the serial port ) if you want to go that way and keep your serial ports free.

http://www.astrogene...wifi3/index.htm

http://www.weasner.c...ASII/index.html

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

PS Re

The handbox is just an I/O device

Yes and no.

The real Handbox and the GPS share a common comms buffer, so the handbox also has to have smarts to prevent it from clashing if the GPS is running.

Edited by OzAndrewJ, 26 August 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#5 Synon

Synon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Flagstaff AZ

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Thanks guys! Exactly what I needed to know!  :D  :waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics