Photo

How to tell if your image meets the guidelines

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:30 AM

Hello folks - I've been chatting with some folks who were a little unclear as to how to check your images to make sure that they meet the forum guidelines. Here are a couple of ways to do so that for sure work in Windows XP and Internet Explorer, and may or may not work for you in other OS's... if you have another OS and want to use the following image to create a similar "tutorial" post, feel free to download the example image "image_dimensions.jpg" below, or use one of your own. If you need space to store your image(s) so that they can be linked to as I have done here, please do not hesitate to contact me by PM and we can work out those details. I would be very pleased to see folks add "tutorials" on different OS's to this thread. Anything to spread the word and help educate CN's users...

Here's a very easy way to verify the dimensions of your image in XP (as long as your file is on a local disk): mouse over an image file icon in Explorer and a small box will pop up like so as long as you hold the mouse over the file icon:

Posted Image

You can see the dimensions for this file are 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high. However, the displayed file size is not going to be accurate enough to go by for file size, especially if you like to push the 100,000 byte limit. There are more accurate ways to verify this info.

Before you upload a file, you can check your image's properties out in detail. Right click on the image you want to check and select "Properties". You'll get a dialog box that looks like this:

Posted Image

A good rule of thumb is to take the largest figure under "Size" (95,599 bytes in this case). To get the skinny on the dimensions of the file, select the "summary" tab. You'll see something that looks like this:

Posted Image

Height and width in pixels are displayed right there.

If you want to check your image after it has already been uploaded, just right-click on it and select "properties". You'll get a dialog like this:

Posted Image

It shows that the image is 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall, and is 95,599 bytes in size, just as it did on my computer before uploading. You can verify this for yourself by right-clicking on the first screen capture image in this messaage and selecting "properties".

PLEASE NOTE: This is how I determine what is or is not a "legal" file.

ONE LAST NOTE: You may be reading this in a forum that does not have the same file size limits that are in force on the Solar System Imaging Forum, where this message actually resides. Please check your forum's specific guideline file to know what those limits are.

I hope this helps you figure out if your images meet the forum guidelines!

Charlie

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics