Photo

WO EZTouch Alt-Az Mount now sold without Tripod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:33 PM

I noticed that WO is now selling the EasyT Alt-Az mount without the tripod for $379.

#2 kfred

kfred

Vanguard

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:46 PM

It does look like a very nice Alt-AZ mount - looking foward to hear some user reports.

Fred

#3 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:53 PM

W.O.'s said they were going to offer it without the tripod.

EZ Touch

Though it can hold two telescopes, it looks like you need to buy thier combo plate to mount a 2nd telescope. Unless it comes ready as a two telescope mount. :shrug:

Combo Plate

Nice looking mount. :cool:

#4 williamoptics

williamoptics

Vendor (William Optics)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:28 AM

You can use any Losmandy-compatible plate, not necessarily WO COMBO plate only...

#5 Tom T

Tom T

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

It does look like a very nice Alt-AZ mount - looking foward to hear some user reports.

Fred

Fred, when you consider it's dual arm capability, in this price class this is probably the best alt/az I've ever used.

It's smooth, it's stable, and the abiltity to mount two scopes at once is particularly cool.

The only "downside" that I see at the moment, is that you apparently can't mount encoders - but for small scopes, I personally don't feel it's needed.

I'm getting rid of my Gibralter and keeping this.

Tom T.

#6 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

AOK, the manufacturer, is selling a version with encoders.

#7 skyview

skyview

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

All right, it's official. Tom T has endorsed the EZ Touch. I will now go and bust open my piggy bank :jump:. I mean it, I'm looking for an alt-az upgrade over my telepod.

Tom, are you still going to mini-review the EZ touch with the WO 105 triplet?

#8 Tom T

Tom T

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

Yep.

Although - I may bump it up and do it with the UWANS to get it out a little sooner. It makes more sense to do it with the 105, but I've been getting lots of questions via e-mail on this mount, and it's going to be a little while till I get the 105 review out. (I have about 5 reviews on the docket at the moment, and a couple more things I'd like to get to - I've got enough to keep me busy for a while.)

I played with a FS102 on the WO tonight and a 66SD on the other side (being woefully ignored). It works well, but balance is a bit of an issue - like with any alt/az (except the discmounts - which are in a whole nother class).

I'm not sure I'd want to put a whole lot more weight on it than that (especially with a scope as long as the FS102), but it was pretty solid, smooth and useable at 180x or so. The rap test gave a damping time of 4-6 seconds which is about what I'd expect - focusing settled down within a couple of seconds (1-2 when using fine focus). Better than my Gibralter, considering the weight that's on it. It's certainly a lot more versitile in the telescopes you can use with it.

Some small annoyances have popped up - I do wish the tension adjustment screws were captive - however you can tell when they are all the way out before they pop out (and they haven't popped out yet) - they get a little wobbly when all the way out - and the tray's a little small (I also wish they had used a bolt that went all the way through the support, instead of one that screwed into the plastic - that would be less likely to strip out at some point - although that's a minor issue.

Still, given the price, and the fact it's dual armed with Losmandy and Vixen saddle plates (that covers just about everything) - I think it's an excellent deal.

I've got the gibralter sold.

T

#9 Tom T

Tom T

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

I should probably be trying to get some sleep, but I can't. So - I hauled the EZ-Touch out again.

This time I took the 66SD off, and put VSP's (vibration supression pads) under the feet.

At ~200x, with the FS102, the rap test yeilds a settle time of <2 seconds (the combination of a few lbs less and VSP's the difference is astounding). Focusing - the jiggles stop as soon as you remove your hand from the knob.

Overall, I consider this very good for a lightweight alt/az mount.

I came in to get some higher power eyepieces, and I'll check dampning time at 275x and let folks know.

#10 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:14 PM

No we're talkin'....

#11 Tom T

Tom T

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

At 275x (nagler 3-6 zoom on 3mm), loaded with the FS102 (w/ 8x50 finder) ONLY (no scope on the other side as opposed to my earlier post), using VSP's, damping time from the rap test is still right around 1 second. When moving the scope to recenter the target, the scope stops jiggling immediately after removing your hand from the telescope.

To get this level of stability, it's I found it's VERY important you spread the legs as far apart as possible.

I'd recommend Ultrawide angle eyepieces for higher powers, as items just fly across the FOV of the 3-6, but the motions of the mount are smooth - however, unlike the DM4/6, I can't track and observe at the same time - the setup isn't that stable - but to be fair, I've never seen one that is - outside of the DM4/6.

This is excellent performance for a lightweight, inexpensive mount.

T

#12 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

Tom--
I've got a Tak Teegul Lapides Mod on a SVP tripod and this setup does allow tracking with the slo mo controls. Very smooth and solid. I've got a 100ED and TV76 in a side-by-side setup and have added slo mo cables to reduce vibration when tracking. See pic.

***Ooops! Sorry about the large pic file****

Phil

Attached Files

#13 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

What a great looking setup Phil!

Could you please reduce this to 800x600 pixels...60KB filesize please.

Thanks!

#14 nreid

nreid

Apollo

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

What is the weight limit of the eztouch? Please tell me my SV115mm at almost 20lb would work!!

#15 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

Better call them...that might be pushing it. Maybe a DM6 is in order for that scope...

#16 warf

warf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

Tom, didn't I see on another thread that you purchased a mount from Raul at DesertSky Astro? I have one on order from him too and it is similar in design to the eztouch so I would think that the weight issues might be similar. I went into it with my eyes wide open knowing that my WO ZS80 (baader film) and Coronado PST would be as big as I would be putting on this mount design so I could do side by side Solar observing.

#17 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:29 AM

Marsh, yes I did and returned it after trying it with a 90,, f/11. The scope was difficult to balance and I had a hard time getting the alt adjustment tight enough. Raul had a fix for that but I think the fact that I got a TV102 in the process, I knew it was going to be too much for the DSV-1 to handle it. I went with a Meade LXD75 instead so I could also gain the goto.

I still think the DSV-1 is a good, solid mount for smaller 80mm faster scopes. What you are thinking about mounting on it would probably be fine. He does offer a guarantee on the mount if you ask him.

#18 warf

warf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

My reason for asking Tom was more for one of the other posts that had asked about weight capacity of the EZTouch... since the DS1 is similar in design the key question one will want to ask is what is going to be mounted on these new style Alt/az mounts... again, I feel fairly confident that my two small scopes that I am mounting on this style mount will work fine. And as you stated, Raul has been great to work with as has the folks at WO.

#19 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:16 PM

I have been using my UA MicroStar deluxe for my 80FD and with a medium bino-mount for the MS I can mount my 66SD and PST side-by-side. Larry from UA is also great to work with and has done some custom work for me as well.

#20 tjswood

tjswood

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

Tom -

If you buy just the mount w/o tripod for $379, can you attach your Losmandy DUP / DUPS plates to it right out of the box? Or do you have to buy the $148 adapter plate??

Also, I noticed that it has a 5/8x11 sized mounting thread where it attaches to the tripod - I thought the Gibraltar or Bogen tripods were 1/2" and not 5/8??

Finally, why haven't they posted specs for this yet?? Sort of odd they would sell it without posting the specs - website says "Specs coming soon" That is odd.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics