•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Off axis WL Filter Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hello,

I tried asking this question in the Cat forum but didn't get a response.  Does anyone here know?

Thanks in advance.

#2 George Bailey

George Bailey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

I don't think it would make a difference

(I never noticed a difference with my C8),

but it would be simple enough to test it out at different positions and see if you get a better view

at one of them with your scope.

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the response, George.  I'd like to experiment with it but the Sun won't cooperate by producing an AR.  Wouldn't matter anyway--cloudy forecast here through next Tuesday...

#4 David Gray

David Gray

Apollo

• Loc: Ower Yonder, 01.5ºW. 55ºN.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

Hi Michael….

I’m not really a solar observer but I use a 6” off-axis (clear) mask/diaphragm with my 16.3” scope on occasion for other objects and not found an optical issue.

However for your solar-mask pursuits I wonder about how much (if) the sun would heat the opaque area of the device – thus possibly rising thermals across the filter in some instances....(the 9 to 3-o-clock positions ???) – so perhaps a 6-o-clock position might be in order.  

Or wind-directed thermals might be the factor to consider/address….?

Just my speculations on the matter…….

Dave.

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:54 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the thoughts.  The opaque part of the filter is white so it should reflect away a lot of the Daystar's heat but probably not all.  It makes sense to keep the filtered opening at the bottom (6 o'clock) of the objective.  Good to hear from you.

#6 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

I don't think you will see any difference.  With a blank sun you will get an easier full disk with your 50mm scope.

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

Thanks, Mark.  You're probably correct.  As far as seeing the full disk, I have other telescopes (and my 15x70's) for that).  My 2" ep's give me very close to a full disk, but I am more interested in a high power view with the C14.

As luck would have it, a (sort of) break in the clouds this afternoon coincided with the emergence of AR2625 so I was able to try out my new off-axis filter.  It worked great.  Sketch can be seen here.

[Edit: AR2625 is now followed by newly designated AR2626 ]

Edited by Special Ed, 14 January 2017 - 10:35 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics