•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goodwill Find.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer

oldtimer

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

My new year's resolution is to 'absolutely' stop rescueing small telescopes from Goodwill.  However I find I must still stop in to see what might be there. Today I found two 10 pound counterweights. They were not from any weightlifting equipment as they were both bored to 20mm and had set screws. Since I have two mounts with 20mm dec shafts and they were only $2 each I grabbed them.

• Jon Isaacs, G.Richard and Augustus like this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

My new year's resolution is to 'absolutely' stop rescueing small telescopes from Goodwill.  However I find I must still stop in to see what might be there. Today I found two 10 pound counterweights. They were not from any weightlifting equipment as they were both bored to 20mm and had set screws. Since I have two mounts with 20mm dec shafts and they were only $2 each I grabbed them.

A rule of thumb:

Anytime one makes such a resolution or feels as if the lineup is finally finished and there will be no more purchases, another purchase is just right around the corner..

Jon

• emflocater and G.Richard like this

#3 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Messenger

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

A rule of thumb:

Anytime one makes such a resolution or feels as if the lineup is finally finished and there will be no more purchases, another purchase is just right around the corner..

Jon

Boy! Is that all I have to do to find new scopes? Then I resolve to stop buying scopes! 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

Thrift stores are addictive!  :lol:

When you least expect it there is always something that you just can't pass up.

The price is always right, especially if you only go on the days when everything is 50% off. :like:

Stan

• Jon Isaacs and emflocater like this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Today I found two 10 pound counterweights.

Just curious, are they 10 pound weights or 11 pound = 5.0 Kilo weights?

Jon

#6 lphilpot

lphilpot

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Every time I've been in our local Goodwill, it's only old toasters, coffee cups, beat-up books and clothes. Nothing ever really interesting...

• Jon Isaacs and mdine1us like this

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Soyuz

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

I routinely visit all the thrift shops (Goodwill Salvation Army etc) in the area.  I've never seen anything other than junk toy level telescopes.  I have seen a few decent microscopes.  Left them all hoping that someone worthy would end up with them.  Probably wouldn't do the same with a desirable telescope.  More than once I've gone back for a book that caught my eye.

#8 emflocater

emflocater

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

I routinely visit all the thrift shops (Goodwill Salvation Army etc) in the area.  I've never seen anything other than junk toy level telescopes.  I have seen a few decent microscopes.  Left them all hoping that someone worthy would end up with them.  Probably wouldn't do the same with a desirable telescope.  More than once I've gone back for a book that caught my eye.

I went to a church donation center last week and walked out with an EQ1 version type mount for small scopes. Needed a new leg and 2 knob screws which I ordered very cheaply. I tore the mount completely apart and removed the original glue grease and replaced with Super Lube.The cost of the mount was $10! Waiting for a few small parts so I can pull out of storage my Jason 311 60mm refractor with a Crawmach 1.25" (one of the last made before Crawmach stop making them) focuser! I will post pictures of the Mount and scope with in 2 weeks as soon as the final parts come in and get painted. Got lucky I guess as the mount was $25 then $18, then $10. The people at the church had no idea what it was let alone how to use it, nor did those coming in to look at and buy items, until me!

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 11 January 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#9 oldtimer

oldtimer

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

Over the last six years I have Goodwill scored;

Two 60mm refractors (one being an ETX),  one 70mm, one 80mm reflector, a few nice tripods and the counterweights.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

Hubble

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

No scopes, but I have gotten some 7X35 and 10X50 Nikon binoculars at the thrift store..

#11 Eddgie

Eddgie

Hubble

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

Not Goodwill but a local re-sale shop with an incredible array of junk.

I was in there one day and saw a really nice old binocular that looked like a Zeiss made unit.  Very sharp optics.   Price was $15.

The lady running the shop looked kind of shocked when I didn't try to talk her down.

I went home and posted on CN Classifeds and sold it for $75 three hours later. 

I wish I were that good at picking stocks.. LOL. 

• emflocater likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics