Degree Circles

• Please log in to reply
1119 replies to this topic

#1026 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Ok, I did it. Not sure why I found it so nerve wracking, went pretty smoothly.

2" hole with desk grommet. Used red wire notched into the grommet for the indicator. Still trying to find a clear cover, maybe even a magnifying lense.

Very nice display! I like it.
Are you able to fine tune the degree circle? I went with the adjustable pointer route on my setup.

#1027 plaidmelon

plaidmelon

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Manchester, Michigan

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

If I turn the grommet I have a few degrees of adjustability. I always set up in the same spot in the yard (where the "dobservatory" will eventually be) so I don't need much variability. I don't plan in lugging the beast to any other sites either, I have smaller scopes for that.

#1028 plaidmelon

plaidmelon

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Manchester, Michigan

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Realized I didn't give credit to skizoid's post that was the original idea with a couple of tweaks.
See it here

#1029 kind

kind

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

I know a lot of people got their circles printed @ Staples or a Kinkos but does any1 know if Office Max has and will do this?

#1030 kind

kind

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

I know a lot of people got their circles printed @ Staples or a Kinkos but does any1 know if Office Max has and will do this?

well to answer my own question, yes they do. I was just there and it cost me 7 dollars and 82 cents.. That was with the 20% off bag sale they are having.

#1031 markau

markau

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

I must express my thanks to the people who have contributed to this thread.

We have had a decent telescope for about 6 years and it became a source of frustration and a very expensive way to see the moon, a few planets and the Orion nebula.

So I tried the method outlined in this thread. A Wixey angle thing cost about $37 and printing the circle about $3.

Anyway I am excited because tonight we saw M6, M7, M8, M11, M20, M21, M25. Unbelievable!! More than we have ever seen through the scope, in one evening.

I planned the session using a book and stellarium to list suitable objects (based on position and magnitude). In the field (i.e. backyard) I used SkEye on my phone to find the coordinates of the objects.

The design is genius in its simplicity and affordability. It makes me keen to get the 'scope out again as soon as I can.

Thank you very much!

#1032 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

well to answer my own question, yes they do. I was just there and it cost me 7 dollars and 82 cents.. That was with the 20% off bag sale they are having.

My experience with Office Depot on large format printing has not been good....after three tries at two different stores, they still couldn't get it right....FedEx/Kinkos got it right the first time...The folks at FedEx/Kinkos seemed much more knowledgable about how to use their equipment then Office Depot did/does.

#1033 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: columbia, sc

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

What should be the proper orientation of a degree circle markings should I use, CCW or CW on top of the box board? Carol, in your attached photo, it appears that you have it both ways. Thanks.

shien

#1034 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

So glad you gave this simple Degree Circle a chance to show you what all one can find in the night skies easily! Congratulations on bagging so many targets in one evening!

Also, I'd like to welcome you to Cloudy Nights! We're very glad you joined us here!

#1035 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

What should be the proper orientation of a degree circle markings should I use, CCW or CW on top of the box board? Carol, in your attached photo, it appears that you have it both ways. Thanks.

shien

If you mount the degree circles on the bottom fixed base, then the numbers should increase clockwise. If you mount them on the top board, then the numbers are counter-clockwise, and the pointer would be attached to the bottom base.

#1036 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thanks, Carol. The PDF for 12" LightBridge Dob is for for clockwise, but I did bookmark one link for 19" which is the same as what you have in both directions, and is easier to read.

http://www.cloudynig...Setting_Circ...

I plan on using this one to fit with my scope. Good to know how it works, otherwise, I will have to constantly remind myself not to turn the other way and mis-identify something.

shien

#1037 stargazer424

stargazer424

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Does anyone know where/how to get something printed onto a thin but sturdy material like plexiglass? My design calls for a circle that lies outside of the base diameter because I am nervous about cutting into the wood of the base. I am currently using a piece of laminated (packing tape) poster board.

Posted Image

Obviously it would have to be thinner than the ball bearing disk:

Posted Image

#1038 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Dan:

There are two ways you can use the setting circles, one is to put on top of the base board, like you did, and the other is to put on top of the bearing box board. No need to cut into the wood if you put it on the bearing box board, though the setting circle needs to be counter clock wise to get the star coordinates right.

shien

#1039 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

You're most welcome! :)

#1040 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Kansas

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

If you have an OTA and would like a mount and tripod with setting circles the Orion VersaGo ll and the Celestron-Skywatcher AZ4 have setting circles. I use my Omni XLT 150 reflector, C6-SCt and my Celestron 102 GT on my Orion VersaGo ll and the setting circles are very accurate if you level the mount.

Attached Files

#1041 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

2nd pic

Attached Files

#1042 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

pic

Attached Files

#1043 stargazer424

stargazer424

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

schang: Thanks. I already figured out how I was going to design my setting circles, I was just looking for advice on how to implement it.

My original thought was to have it printed directly onto a plastic or plexi material and cut out to the shape I want.

Meanwhile I had something staring me right in the face. (well not literally as it was in a closet). Here is a metal sign that I got about 14-15 years ago when I worked in a retail store. The store closed and I took home this sign, drilled a hole in it and made it a clock.

Posted Image

The face can be removed from the outer rim. It's 21.75" in diameter (my original design is 21") and it is thin enough to fit between the top and bottom base. I could print, laminate and mount a degree circle on this.

The only issue is HOW I would cut out the center...I only have 1 power tool (a drill). Also it would add about 3.75 lbs to my base. I was trying not to add too much weight (which is why i was looking for a plexiglass solution)

Thoughts?

#1044 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Re: post above

Dan.....Since you want it mounted on something rigid I'm assuming your degree circle is going to be independently rotatable and you will be using a fixed pointer?

#1045 stargazer424

stargazer424

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

Yup! I like Sky Captain's design (shown MANY pages back) where the disc is rotatable, so you can spin it around to align and then lock the disc into place. Of course he machined out an aluminum disc, something I don't have the capability of doing. If you look a few pages back you can see my design concept.

I think I found an even better medium for mounting my degree circle, since I don't have any tools to cut that metal sign. Someone was throwing out a piece of a table top that has a thin particleboard or plywood top. I pried it off the rest and it is thin enough for me to score the wood with a knife and cut it. It will take a bit of elbow grease, but I won't need any additional tools. I'll post photos later. Going to head to Staples tonight to have the degree circle printed and laminated.

I want to try and finish this project this week because this weekend I going up to a cabin in the Catskills and will have some dark skies (FINALLY!).

#1046 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Dan, looking forward to seeing your finished design; as well as hearing how it worked for you in the dark skies on the weekend.

#1047 stargazer424

stargazer424

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

Degree circle printed, laminated and mounted. Glue is drying. Details and photos to come when I am done.

Sky Captain, what is the black knob you are using to lock your circle in place and where did you get it? My original idea was to use some kind of knob similar to the collimation knobs on my telescope, but I couldn't find something like that. My second idea was using thumbscrew and twist to tighten, but I couldn't work out a good way to thread it to my L bracket so it stayed tight. Now I am using a homemade spring loaded mechanism...i think it will work.

Here is a good question. For my "locking mechanism" I need to screw a small L bracket into the degree circle and it will cover one of the numbers. Is there a section of numbers that would be best to cover?

#1048 stargazer424

stargazer424

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Photo Time!

Here is where I got my material to mount my degree circle to:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Laminiated (~$6 at Staples) and mounted:
Posted Image

Outside cut (using only the tools you see here):
Posted Image

Inside cut out:
Posted Image

Its a fit!
Posted Image

On the mount:
Posted Image

My "pointer" (a red LED from a broken mouse):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

My power source (3 AAA batteries):
http://i276.photobuc...zpsd1c68416.jpg
http://i276.photobuc...zps5c60c821.jpg

The switch (someday when I am brave enough to make permanent changes to my telescope, I will drill a hole and have this screwed into the base.)
http://i276.photobuc...zpscbe5f6d9.jpg

FYI: I got the batter pack free from http://www.keyelco.com/ Go to product and click “Add to Sample Cart” to order. No registration is required. You fill out a sample request form. No corporate email address was required. It ships UPS Ground. You do not have to pay the shipping.)

The degree circle rotates by hand. Surprisingly it doesn't really move when I just spin the base. Regardless I think I still need a "locking mechanism", but I need to rethink my idea for it. I had this spring loaded thing in mind, but it doesn't seem to stop it spinning. I need to find some kind of knob/screw that can fit tightly on a small L bracket. Anyone know of anything I can get at Home Depot or similar store that would work? Something like this:
http://i276.photobuc...zpsa1544a66.jpg

EDIT:

I was searching on Home Depot's website and found some possibilities for my locking issue...how about a...door lock!

http://www.homedepot...r-Lock-S-402...

http://www.homedepot...olt-Lock-S-4...

http://www.homedepot...o-Door-Lock-...

I'll have to stop by the store and see if any of these or things like them will work...

#1049 Steve OK

Steve OK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

I just ordered the Wixie digital level from Amazon for $29.99 and free shipping. What a deal....

Thanks to Carol and all the rest for contributing to this great thread!

Steve

#1050 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Steve, you'll really like the Wixie! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics