Imaging/Sketching Contest Discussion

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators
  • Loc: Clifton Park, NY

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

Please post any comments or questions about the imaging contest or the forum submissions here.

#2 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:40 AM

Wow... too many really good ones this month!

Charlie

#3 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:31 AM

The order of the first and third items are switched in the poll versus the images.

#4 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

yeah, i don't know how that happened. I'm pretty sure I entered them in the same order.

#5 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Well if anyone is wondering when the June contest will start, it looks like polling for the CCD forum won't be done until the 18th, So we'll be holding the overall contest a little late this month.

#6 rumples riot

rumples riot

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:43 AM

When is the poll chaps?

#7 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

I should be setting that up today.

#8 UrbanStarSeeker

UrbanStarSeeker

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain, CO, USA

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:44 PM

I can't see Eric's image, is an error on the poll or is it just me?

Allan

#9 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

I can see it. Did you try refreshing the page?

Is anyone else having this problem?

#10 UrbanStarSeeker

UrbanStarSeeker

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

Yeah, I tried refreshing...actually I don't see it in the submissions thread either unless I select the Attachments link in the post header. Must be a Firefox issue.

Allan

#11 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

FWIW, I can see it in Firefox (Windows, 1.5.0.4) too.

#12 UrbanStarSeeker

UrbanStarSeeker

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

I found the problem. The filename of his image has "ADS" in it. Apparently the Adblock + Adblock Filterset G extentions have an overzealous filter that is blocking the image. I disabled Adblock and it worked fine. I just white-listed Cloudy Nights so the problem won't occur again. Sorry for the trouble.

Allan

#13 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

Not a problem! Glad you figured it out.

#14 thelittleman

thelittleman

Vendor (Peter's Actions)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

Just a suggestion...
I think there should be a (locked) post which contains the winners each month. That way it would be easy to look at the best of CN over a period of time, rather than having to scroll through all the previous posts...

Thanks,

#15 SteelersNation

SteelersNation

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:02 PM

good idea.

#16 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

Very good idea Pete - I'll get that together as soon as I can!

Charlie

#17 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

Peter et al

I am not sure I understand this suggestion but I assume that you have a good idea here about posting the contest submissions.

I have had several people write to me personally and ask why I have not won a contest yet as they seem to think I have been featured more in NASA web sites and soon to be in the Coast to Coast AM site (next week July 27 ~ Aug 2.

I do not really concern myself with winning contests- I just hope to share what I do with my astronomy art in hopes that it inspires others to try.

Am I not submitting my works properly for art contests?

I hope to hear from Charlie, Erika and other moderators or anyones advice,

thanks
Mark

#18 Rob B

Rob B

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: England, South Coast

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

I think you guys do amazing things with modest equipment. Truly a triumph of inventiveness over budget. I live in an area of very bad light pollution, so I don't even own a telescope these days. I have to get my kicks by writing software to manipulate and explore FITS images from professional telescopes. Consequently I have something of an understanding of how talented these entries are. Keep it up - us townies appreciate it!

#19 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:44 AM

Just a suggestion...
I think there should be a (locked) post which contains the winners each month. That way it would be easy to look at the best of CN over a period of time, rather than having to scroll through all the previous posts...

Thanks,

To all

Did this suggestion from Littleman ever materialize?

Thanks for any info,

Mark

#20 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hi Mark - never did get that together. I do eventually plan on doing it but to be honest it's not a high priority project at the moment... you can see that the poll threads are pretty much all that's in this forum, so if you want to have a look over time it's easy enough to do.

That said I will try to put aside some time to get this accomplished in the near future.

#21 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

Charlie has completed the new contest winners post over the entire span of years for every month in chronological time. This is beautiful to see. What a display! Some of the amateur photographers approach the quality of the Hubble.

There were others who asked about the sketching winners over the photographers but I do not think this new post indicates that.

Is there a way to determine that count without much research?

Thanks again for any information from any of you.

Mark

#22 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

I did a tabulation on this - see the lead post in the thread.

#23 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

I have a very cool rules change announcement to make, and I also have a request for a rules change that I want to bring before the group for discussion.

First, the rule change. I've been looking for this for a very long while and now it is reality... the forum polls are no longer "hard coded" at a 100KB (102,400 bytes) file size limit. They will now follow whatever the site wide rules for image file size and dimension are. Please note that at the present time this has been set to 200KB (204,800 bytes) in file size (on a trial basis), and 800px x 800px in image dimension.

Since this file size limitation may change over time (either up or down), The rules will be amended to accommodate this like so:

6. Entries must conform in all respects with the site wide image posting requirements. Entries that do not meet this criteria will be disqualified at the time of the semi final poll creation. It is the contestant's responsibility to ensure compliance with these requirements - although a moderator or administrator may alert a contestant to a possible problem in this area they are not bound to do so.

Now for the rules change request... I was recently asked if a member would be able to "legally" post images from a remote observatory. The member has a sort of "co-op" arrangement with another fellow for equipping and operating the observatory. My understanding is that this is not a "pay to play" remote observatory like Lightbuckets or Slooh, these guys have their own equipment installed in the observatory and share the operations and expenses of the site.

As we discussed the situation it became clear that this would not be permitted under the strict interpretation of our current rule #9:

10. Entries must represent the work of a single individual. You must setup and operate all equipment yourself, capture all exposures (or perform any sketching) yourself and process the resulting entry yourself.

Obviously, with the observatory being in a remote location and as there is equipment in there that he didn't install, our member would be in violation of rule #9 and so he can't submit any photos taken from the remote observatory.

This is the point of the discussion for a change to rule #9. Should we allow images from systems that you didn't completely set up yourself?

There are a number of scenarios that might be affected by this rule besides the "co-op" observatory referenced above. For example, what about members of a family with a home observatory? Members of an astronomy club that have outfitted a club observatory? Could family or members of a club be considered "co-owners" of the equipment? If so, they will almost certainly have not completely set up the equipment they use - in fact the only way to be certain that the operator set up all the equipment is if it was a portable setup.

It's an interesting question and one I'd like to talk over with you folks before making any changes to the rules.

What do you think?

Charlie

#24 roc.ls1864

roc.ls1864

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

Perhaps rule 9 should only apply to the 'Beginner" categories, as I doubt many "beginners' have remote obsevatories. My humble opinion

#25 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

In it's current form, there is no way to be fair in the Imaging/Sketching Contest. It's not even about what's fair it's supposed to be about "the best image produced" by members of CN.. That's all there is. If you want it to be fair then it's a lot more complicated. When a guy with an OSC is trying to compete against someone with a monochrome camera with an 8 position filter wheel loaded with NB an LRGB filters...how is that fair? How is two or three people pooling their resources going to be fair when competing against somone with a $600 dollar mount that drives 300 miles to get to some place with decent sky?

It would be completely self serving for me to totally object to this change...

In fact I think there is an un-intended exclusion that causes me to agree with a change. What about the guy who still has the desire and ability but physical limitations exclude him from going out and setting up? Maybe he/she, has to enlist aid or just plane have someone else set up? Here is a great reason to be in a cooperative! why should the rules preclude that person from taking part?

There's my 2 cents

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics