Photo

Beginner's GIMP Sketching Tutorial

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

I'm not the best sketch artist in this hobby, so I got permission from Eric (cildarth) to use his fantastic M13 drawing from this CN tutorial

The GIMP is a free version of Photoshop, and it also has a step learning curve. I thought other Linux, or Windows and Mac users who can't afford PS, might find this tutorial informative.

Also here is a generic tutorial for using Layer's in The GIMP, -> The GIMP Tutorial - Using Layer's to Create Space Art

In addition to that, Eric informed me that he posted in another thread his steps to invert drawings, that can be seen here: Eric's Tutorial

Goal, take sketch and invert colors, adjust brightness to have skecth appear as view through telescope eyepiece.

Using cildarth's M13 image, open the file in GIMP.

Attached Files

#2 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

Next select Tools/Color Tools/Brightness-Contrast and drag the brightness slider down to -127

Attached Files

#3 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

Now select Layers/Colors/Invert.

Attached Files

#4 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

Now select Tools/Paint Tools/Bucket Fill , click an area outside the circle, it should turn black. If not goto the palette and select the before and after colors so that after is black.

Attached Files

#5 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

Again select Tools/Color Tools/Brightness, slide down to -127 but also increase contrast to +40. This is a subjective area you may wish to skip this step or modify values based on your own desire. To me, it now appears as if I'm looking at it thru a telescope.

Attached Files

#6 Jaycin

Jaycin

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info, Chris! :cool:

I have had the Gimp software for quite some time, but it locks up on me quite often, so I never use it. Maybe I should re-install it.

#7 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

I changed the first post to indicate Eric granted permission to use his sketch of M13. I also added two links, one to Eric's steps (which I missed!) and another to someone else's generic Layers tutorial using The GIMP.

One could use Layers and incorporate their own sketch, give it a try and see what happens!
Here is the result of me following that tutorial (again this part is more for "fun":

Enjoy!

Attached Files

#8 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

For example, here is my really really bad version of M13, with some layers added (now you know why I used Eric's for the above tutotial! :) ) .

Anyway, this is just an example, its obviously a little overkill with the backround stars, supernova and gaseous nebula thrown in.

Attached Files

#9 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

I don't use GIMP but I think this is a cool freeware program and these are neat drawings you've created with it. Thanks for putting this together Chris! :waytogo:

#10 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

Thanks alot for the tutorial I didnt know how to use gimp at all but this helps alot.:thanx:

#11 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

I use The GIMP quite a bit (on a MacBook Pro) and it is a very capable program. It has come a long way from its earlier incarnations. It still has some issues with fault tolerance in its design (i.e., it doesn't recover very well from bugs), but it is far more stable now than it use to be. I have been able to work with some pretty large projects with it.

It still suffers the same "getting long in the tooth" interface that Photoshop is facing.

But, hey, it is free!

It has a great set of various filters and "script-fu" plug-ins.

Bic

#12 mapofthedead

mapofthedead

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the guide, been using it for a while on my Mac. It doesn't seem quite as "intuitive" as Photoshop but as you say, its free :)

#13 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hey Chris,
great tutorial. I think GIMP is a really good alternative to Photoshop, especially, when you are not willing to spend a lot of money on such a programme. I personally prefer Photoshop, still, when I am recommending a free software, it's usually GIMP.

Sebastian

#14 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:15 AM

Chris, thanks for posting that step-by-step using The Gimp. I've played with it just enough to know that it's a great alternative to Photoshop. It's great to have you convey your experience to others.

#15 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

Thanks. :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics