• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#26 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Borscht Belt

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

Steve and Kenny,

For some reason, the last 0 in the URL was dropped when I copied and pasted it, and the last part of the link is not "active".

The correct address is (you'll have to copy and paste, the whole link isn't "active"):
http://www.outdoorli.../gear/article/0,19912,264264,000.html

#27 Sellick

Sellick

Vostok 1

• Loc: Union,Oregon

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

You all should look at Carson Opticals XM-042HD 10x42 oring sealed nitrogen purged waterproof fog proof Phase coated and they have a special coating the thay call High Definition. they have been tested in the lab for light transmission. and beat out Leupold and nikon You can find the report at www.carson-optical.com the MSRP is $350 I have a pair NIB for $289 and I will ship for free in usa. all so look at there life time warranty.

Allen

#28 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

• Loc: Central New Jersey, USA

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:19 AM

And you are posting in response to which thread?

Or is this a shop and swap announcement?

Erik D

#29 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:23 AM

A nice gift for that special lady in your life , perhaps ?

http://www.swarovski...&origin=landing

Regards , Kenny

#30 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

• Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:45 AM

Hi Kenny,I like the Nubucco Crystal Pocket binoculars you can have it sent to me for my wife.:-) My wife already claims my Swarovski 7x30 SLC at least she thinks she does.
Regards,Steve

#31 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:47 PM

>>>You all should look at Carson Opticals XM-042HD 10x42 oring sealed nitrogen purged waterproof fog proof Phase coated and they have a special coating the thay call High Definition. they have been tested in the lab for light transmission. and beat out Leupold and nikon You can find the report at www.carson-optical.com the MSRP is $350 I have a pair NIB for $289 and I will ship for free in usa. all so look at there life time warranty.

Allen<<<

Bill, this is your good side. Just say "Hi" to Sellick and keep your mouth shut . . . at least until your tongue stops bleeding. Besides the post you're considering would take hours. . . . . . . . .

Ah . . . . I feel better, now.

Good night,

Bill

#32 ChrisR

ChrisR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Washington

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:02 AM

Bill:

Be nice.

Peace,
Chris

#33 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:02 PM

As per Joe Ogiba's post on CN, Pentax is unvealing a new line of ED roofs next month.

Hurrah! I've been asking for ED roofs for years. It was the next logical step, FL in premium roofs, ED in mid-priced roofs (though the "under $900" price tag listed could not be considered "mid-priced"). They are made with lightweight magnesium alloy and have high zoot (silver) coated prisms like the Nikon LX L.

Here's the news release:
http://www.pentaxima...ticleId=9516991

and photos of the new line:
DCF ED photos

They don't list the specs, but from the configurations, I would guess the FOV for each model is probably similar if not identical to the SP line. IOW, mid-priced FOV with premium price tag. Hope not! The narrowish FOV is my chief complaint with Pentax binoculars.

#34 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for posting this here too , Brock .

I provided the CORRECT link to the IMAGES in a post to the Binocular forum thread !

Kenny

#35 johnirvine

johnirvine

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

Looks like if you follow the links via the "explore our products" link you can get the specs.

Alot of the specs appear to parallel the SP line with their moderate to narrow FOVs.

#36 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

John,

Thanks. Takes six links to get to the specifications from the homepage! If you type in the ED model in the search window and chose "our products" in the menu bar, you can get to the specs in two clicks.

Yeah, same FOV as SP. The 10x43 and 8x32 models have the widest AFOV and would be my picks. One of my beefs with the 10x42 LX/LX L was the CA. I never tried a Pentax DCF WP or SP, but I've read complaints about the CA. The ED glass might be the ticket to ride.

With a MSRP of less than $900, the street price might be around $600-$800, depending on the model. Plus, Pentax runs rebates once a year. Better than paying $1,399 for the LX L!

The question is if the ED version is made in China or Japan? Find any info on that?

#37 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

• Loc: 38°21'N 120°55'W

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

Nice looking binos! I especially like the looks of the 8x32 version. Regardless of the country of manufacture I think they will be a big hit!

#38 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

Aside from a slight contour change around the hinge and .8oz more weight, the EDs look to be a "twin" of the Japanese SPs. The specs are a match as well.

I really like my 10x43SP, it is sharper on axis than my 10x E2 glass which would put it into a fairly small club. For me, CA is rarely a problem, though the eye lenses have a curvature that can pick up reflections off the eye under some conditions.

If the ED version of the SP has any improvement at all, it should prove to be a fine binocular. The 8x32 and 10x43 have a decent 60° AFOV which I feel is adequate, but I still prefer the E2s wider FOV. The 12.5x50 seems to have been cut from the new line. Too bad because it would likely have had good astro potential.

I wonder if SP sales turned out to be less than expected so the "upgrade" was created to bolster sales?

Rich V

#39 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:11 AM

Rich,

Somewhere in cyberspace is a Website that tracks optics sales and prices over periods of years. I suspect that when sales start to flatten for a particular model and when competitors sales are increasing, bin manufacturers feel its time to bring out a "new and improved" line to boost sales. The SP sales may have bottomed out.

Sometimes these upgrades backfire (e.g, the previous version Zeiss Victories).

Do you or has anyone who has used your binoculars seen barrel distortion while panning with the 10x43 SP?

Also, how about those protruding strap lugs? Do they dig into your palms? Thanks.

#40 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:23 AM

Rich,

I just read your CN review, you found the binocular comfortable, but the ultra-fast 1/6 of a turn from close focus to infinity would play major havoc with my focus accommodation. I had trouble with the fast focuser on the less than one turn 10x42 LX/ LX L.

So the distortion is a moot point since the fast focus rules this binocular out for me unless the ED model has a slower focus, which is highly unlikely since the trend is toward faster rather than slower focusers.

#41 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:29 AM

Brock, let me clarify; that 1/6 turn of the focus wheel was from 30' to infinity. As I move towards closest focus, it takes a lot more travel. From closest focus (about 5.5') to infinity takes about 1-1/3 turns, so it's not quite as fast as the Nikon LX.

I have large hands, not XL, but the strap lug placement doesn't get in the way for me. There's 4" between the strap lug and the objective end of the binocular. The center of the 7/8" thick focus knob is 4-1/4" from the objective end.

There is a small amount of barrel distortion; I get the "rolling ball" effect very slightly, much less noticeable than my Pentax porros or my Nikon aspheric compacts.

I would love to do a side-by-side with the 10x43ED to see how much color improvement there is. My local camera shop now carries the SPs, maybe he'll have an ED in the future to try out!

Rich V

#42 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

BTW Hoya and Pentax to merge .

#43 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for this info Joe !

A quick glance at the FINANCIAL reports would seem to indicate that this must be welcome news for Pentax shareholders , even though under Japanese Law , they DON'T have a say / vote on the merger .

Regards , Kenny

#44 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

Kenny I think it's great news for Pentax.

Hoya supply glass to most lens manufacturers. They are the largest manufacturer of optical glass in the world.

Hoya sells raw optical glass to just about everyone. Even Zeiss and Lietz buy what is known as "catalog glass" from them - standard off-the-shelf common glass types used for most elements. If you have a Japanese lens, chances are at least some of the glass in it came from Hoya's works. Even German lenses sometimes have it, in addition to their usual reliance on Schott glass. (no, don't try to drink bourbon from your lens LOL)

Hoya is first and foremost a supplier of raw optical glass of excellent quality, competing with Schott and Corning among others for the catalog glass market.

dpreview

#45 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:40 PM

Brock, let me clarify; that 1/6 turn of the focus wheel was from 30' to infinity. As I move towards closest focus, it takes a lot more travel. From closest focus (about 5.5') to infinity takes about 1-1/3 turns, so it's not quite as fast as the Nikon LX.

I have large hands, not XL, but the strap lug placement doesn't get in the way for me. There's 4" between the strap lug and the objective end of the binocular. The center of the 7/8" thick focus knob is 4-1/4" from the objective end.

There is a small amount of barrel distortion; I get the "rolling ball" effect very slightly, much less noticeable than my Pentax porros or my Nikon aspheric compacts.

I would love to do a side-by-side with the 10x43ED to see how much color improvement there is. My local camera shop now carries the SPs, maybe he'll have an ED in the future to try out!

Rich V

Rich,

Thanks for clarifying the focuser speed and for the strap lug spec. The focuser sounds more manageable for me than the 10x42 LX/LX L, which required less than one turn from close focus to infinity, which caused me to readjust the right diopter at various distances. That issue and the barrrel distortion are two reasons I sold the 10x42 LX L. The third reason was that I found the lead-free glass and newer coatings produced images of lesser quality than the older cheaper, heavier 10x42 LX.

The 8x32 LX takes only 1/2 turn to reach infinity, very fast. The focuser on my first sample was too loose so I kept overshooting my targets and would have to backtrack and then adjust the right diopter, by which time the bird was gone! My second sample 8x32 LX has a tighter focuser, and I actually enjoy using the fast focus now.

So through the school of [expensive] hard knocks, I found that focuser tension is of utmost importance with fast focusing premium roofs. Toulouse Lautrec and you might as well buy a IF EP focus bin.

The 8x32 LX has a small amount of barrel distortion, but the full sized models should be used while singing "Roll out the barrel, and we'll have a barrel of birds..." :-) The full sized LX/LX L has too much barrel distortion for a premium bin, IMO. Of course, if you don't see it, good for you! Wish I didn't.

My hands are 4" wide at the center, so I would just fit inside the strap lugs of the Pentax ED (assuming the specs are the same as the SP). I might have to add Bushwackers for more palm room.

I'd be very interested in reading your side by side comparison of new vs. old Pentax. As I found out with the LX and the Swift Audubon, newer doesn't always mean better.

#46 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:37 AM

Brock ,

Given their legendary status the world - wide , I was quite surprised to learn that your hands measure ONLY four inches across at their widest point !

The eagerly awaited revelation of this vital statistic inspired me to measure my own , which at 3 and 7/8ths. of an inch , is only 1/8th. of an inch narrower than yours !

The need to slightly re - adjust diopter for perfect focus of differently distanced objects is what makes the central locking diopter feature of the Zeiss FLs and the Swarovksi ELs an added inconvenience , which as far as I know , is a minor annoyance hitherto mentioned thus far only by yours truly ( and boy - did I take some stick for daring to suggest such a thing could be possible ! )

Of course , the OLDER Swarovski ELs had that MUCH slower focus , which seemed to provide more accomodation / depth of view -- but not many users seemed to like that feature , which presumably is why is was changed .

Still , at least it shows that SOME manufacturers actually LISTEN TO and ACT UPON user feedback !

May I suggest singing the Oasis song ROLL WITH IT as an occasional alternative to ROLL OUT THE BARREL .

Then again , if studying rocks , one could always give a rendition of the Rolling Stones' IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL ( but I like it ! )

Season's Greetings !

Kenny

#47 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

You may have read on BF or elsewhere rumors that Swift Optics, America's oldest family-owned optics company, was being sold. Turns out it was a restructuring after filing for bankruptcy, with the Sports Optics division being spun off into its own company.

Accoding to a BF member who spoke to a Swift rep on the phone, Swift will be unveiling new binoculars this year! (I hope one of them is a new Audubon w/ longer ER, smaller, more comfortable, click-stop eyecups, a sturdier, metal focus bridge, and a more attractive color).

Here are the original posts:
http://www.birdforum...dex.php/t-70213

My news update is that I called Swift about repairs/modifications and was told that they are no longer doing in-house sports optics repairs, but are outsourcing their work to Texas Nautical Repair. I spent about 10 minutes on the phone talking with Les, one of TNR's technicians, who seemed knowledgeable about older Audubons.

I used to talk with one of Swift's repair people (can't remember his name, he had an Eastern European? accent), and he was very knowledgeable about Swfit binoculars, always got me the answers I needed.

I really liked the fact that Swift allowed its customers to talk directly with their technicians unlike Nikon, which will only let you speak to a customer service rep, who can tell you what's in his "knowledge database", which only dates back to 1992, the year they began multicoating their binoculars.

Btw, TNR's phone # is NOT toll free!

#48 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:13 PM

I hope one of them is a new Audubon w/ longer ER, smaller, more comfortable, click-stop eyecups, a sturdier, metal focus bridge, and a more attractive color).

Brock, have you checked out the new Kowa's?

#49 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

Brock ,

I'm just glad to hear that at least two of the technicians you've spoken to actually knew what you were talking about.

Away from optics , but nonetheless probably even more importantly in my line of work , I had good reason to speak to a heating appliance manufacturer's technical department today .

So I rang this number , endured 10 minutes of recorded classical music , source not identified , interrupted every thirty seconds by a recorded voice message , apologising for keeping me waiting , then finally got through to another recorded voice which informed me ( last of five options ) that if I wished to speak to someone in the " technical department " press 5 , which led to a further 10 minutes of piped music ( Oasis this time - but again interrupted every thirty seconds by an apologetic message ---- must have been the " technical edit " , as I hadn't heard those interrupted versions of those Oasis tracks previously ) until AT LONG LAST , I got to speak to an actual LIVE , REAL person .

Unfortunately , within about 15 seconds , I had a strong hunch that she hadn't a clue what I was talking about , and she proved me right after hearing me out , about two minutes later , by telling me I needed to talk to a SENIOR technician , rather than herself ( who for all the world sounded like a school child auditioning for a job as a telephonist ) then promptly diverted me to another line , which , incredibly , played the same recorded classical music as I'd started with , for another 3 or 4 minutes , until FINALLY , I got to speak to a man who could help me , and who even found the time to share a very long winded version of his feelings of amusement at the fact that a person formerly known as a " rat catcher " was now officially designated the job description of " vermin technician " .

Of course , as MY company were paying for this call , I suppose it mattered little to him how long the story took to tell .

My cell phone was as flat as a Nikon Pro Star's field by the time I'd got the part numbers I required , and not for the first time , I was relieved that the call charges don't come out of MY pay packet !

Regards , Kenny

#50 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

Steve C. tipped me off to some new Vortex binoculars:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars

For 2007, Vortex will be unveiling new configurations in the Vortex Razor line: 8.5X50, 10x50, and 12x50. Although the specs might change according to the disclaimer underneath the specification table, if the specs are as listed, they look very promising, particularly the 8.5x50s, which offers a wider than usual AFOV of 57.8*, nearly 2* wider than the Nikon 8x42 LX. Hopefully, the co. solved the issues of the hard to turn focuser and slipping eyecups on the newer models.

Also new is the 6.5x32 Fury model, which has silver coated prisms, a W-I-D-E 8.3* TFOV, 4.9' close focus, 21mm ER, large exit pupil -- 4.92mm, and a nice price (probably less than $300 since the MSRP on the 8x42mm Razor is $150 higher than the "street price").

There may be other new models or configurations, I'm most familar with the Razors. Curiously, the much praised 8x42 and 10x42 mid-priced Broadwings are missing from the 2007 line-up.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics