Regards.John

#52 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Borscht Belt

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

Yet another EL clone for binofans on a budget:
http://www.gunsandam...7optics_011807/

The Burris clone doesn't have finger pads like the Vortex Razor, which I'm skeptical about being comfortable for my larger than average sized hands. Not sure if it has thumb indents, but since it's based on the EL, it should.

Also note on this same Webpage the new Leupold Gold Ring dual power bins (which they are calling "switch power", probably for the Brits, who will have to dig deep into their "pay packets" to buy them :-).

Disappointingly, the dual power bins are 7-12x32 and 10-17x42. IMO, not the most useful of configurations. Not only would they be difficult to hold at high power, but the exit pupils are small -- 2.6mm at 12x32 and 2.4mm at 17x42.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brock, have you checked out the new Kowa's?
--------------------
Mark

No, I will have to check if either Grice's or the Amish Shoe Store carries them for when Steve M. and I take our much anticipated trip in the spring.

A few days ago, I bought a NIB Swift Audubon 804 FMC bin. I had the 804 ED but returned it because the sweet spot was too small. According to the 804 FMC seller, the FMC model has a large sweet spot like my 804 MC model. If that's true, it would be hard to justify spending $1,200 for the ED glass in the Kowa roofs since the Audubons are probably at least as sharp if not sharper than the Kowas.

Besides, porros fit my hands better than roofs, said the Fox. :-)

#53 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

A drum roll please... :band: The least expensive EL clone has been announced -- the Bushnell Infinity. With a MSRP of $484.99 for the 8.5x45, and $499.99 for the 10.5x45, the price point for open bridged roofs has now dropped into the upper mid-priced range.

Even at full retail price, the Infinity is $1,200 LOWER than the Swaro EL. A new "Poor Man's EL." If only BVD Steve was still doing reviews. :-)

http://www.theoutdoo...on=###session##

#54 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

HANDS - FREE Binos !

http://www.21stcentu.../sportbinox.asp

Regards , Kenny

#55 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

Not really NEWS , but a few less commonly seen models here , many of which I'm sure Bill Cook could provide alternative NAMES for ! :-)

http://www.rspboptic...viking/bins.htm

Kenny

#56 pcad

pcad

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:45 PM

Just noticed a new member of Kevin's family, a 12x50 RP binocular. Here's a link
http://www.bigbinoculars.com/1250.htm

Peter

#57 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

Well spotted Peter !

I note it has a 6 degree TFOV too !

And 10 feet close focus is something rare for a 12x model .

The " stated " eye relief of 14mm sounds a little worrying for eyeglass wearers though !

Regards , Kenny

#58 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

Not really NEWS , but a few less commonly seen models here , many of which I'm sure Bill Cook could provide alternative NAMES for ! :-)

http://www.rspboptic...viking/bins.htm

Kenny

The VIKING HIGH RESOLUTION 8x42 is a rebadged 8x42 Ultima/Swift 8x42 Ultralite w/leatherette coverings, but at a cost of $389 instead of $189 -- what the Swift's cost NEW six years ago. My, my, either inflation has run rampart across the pond or the value of the US dollar has hit a new low.

Just checked, 1 GBP = 1.95904 USD. Except during recessions, 1:2 exchange is fairly typical, correct? When I was over in England in the early 80s a Cadbury Creme Egg, which cost 50 cents at home cost 99 pence in England. So it can't be the weakness/strength of dollar or the pound, the Viking is a ripoff!

#59 soraart

soraart

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

In addition to the already mentioned Bushnell Infinity, I see Eagle Optics is listing something called a Bushnell Elite e2 :confused: in an 8x42 & 10x42. Here's a link (no pictures yet)

http://www.eagleopti...ex.asp?pid=4906

I was hoping for a new premium porro....oh well :bawling:

Ted Nordhagen

#60 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

In addition to the already mentioned Bushnell Infinity, I see Eagle Optics is listing something called a Bushnell Elite e2 :confused: in an 8x42 & 10x42. Here's a link (no pictures yet)

http://www.eagleopti...ex.asp?pid=4906

I was hoping for a new premium porro....oh well :bawling:

Ted Nordhagen

The ad says the e2 has "Advanced Fusion Hybrid technology". The world's first atomic/electric binoculars!

The ad doesn't mention an open bridge design, so perhaps they have gone back to the original one-piece Elite design. The longer 8 ft. close focus makes me hopeful that the focuser will be somewhat slower than the ultra fast focusers on the original butterfly models.

Looks like it's shaping up to be an interesting year -- with new offerings by Pentax, Swift, Bushnell, Burris, Steiner, and Vortex -- at least for roof bin fans.

Unfortunately, for me, Ted, and other porro fans, no new high quality porros seem to be in the offering.

This has forced me to seek out old classics like the Swift Audubon 804 binoculars. I also bought a Fujinon 6x30 FMTR-SX. The overall image quality is second to none, but the IF EPs will always keep the Fujis from being practical for birding. If Fujinon made its FMT series with center focusing and lowered their weight, they would be the best binoculars in the world, and probably the best selling too.

What we need is a full-page ad in the New York Times, appealing to bin manufacturers to return to their roots and start making high quality porros again. Hip Hip....

#61 soraart

soraart

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:04 PM

Here are some links to press releases from Bushnell's website for the Infinity and Elite e2 binoculars;

http://marketing.bus...w e2 Binocs.pdf

http://marketing.bus...nity Binocs.pdf

Brock,

The Swift 804R Audubon I own (purchased in the mid-eighties) is my all time favorite birding glass. Used daily, it has never ceased to amaze me with it's extraordinary image. Having compared it to other 804R samples over the years, mine is admittedly a strong sample (lucky me) :grin:. Some mention has been made of weaknesses such as focus backlash and collimation issues but only recently has my pair been in need of a tweaking with either. Additionally, for me, the 8.5x is the perfect magnification in a birding binocular. Yes, the field of view gets a little soft out toward the edges; yes, they are a bit large for anyone with small hands or use to roof designs; yes, they can be a bit annoying when it comes to the diopter staying put; and yes, the rubber eye-cups aren't for everybody (I, like you, prefer them to the eye-cups on the 820's), but. . . nothing then or now can beat their resolving power or give you such a relaxed view. Swift delivered when they designed these binoculars, all of this, plus many years of birding pleasure for the low price of $149.00!

Ted

#62 lynntx

lynntx

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

At the risk of showing my inexperience, I have seen some favorable comments on a new bino offer from Leupold. They have been very successful with a 6 X 30 Yosemite model that was great for closer-in birding etc (especially ladies and youth as it has ability to fit more narrow eyes diminsion). I think down to 54mm.

They have just released an 8 X 30 version this month and I managed to get one on order today (although most dealers have only rec'd a very few so far). By no means is this meant to be a "high-end" porro, but it is compact and only weights 18 oz. and it has rec'd favorable comments so far from some pretty experienced birders- so I suspect they will be fine for a more casual user like myself. [Waterproof, fogproof]

Most bins I own now are too heavy to be lugging around the countryside. BTW they only cost about $115 US. Anyway, you may want to watch postings on these to see what other users are saying after they have some time on the market. I'm hoping they are as good as the Nikon Action Extreme- but a lot lighter.

Regards,
Lynn

#63 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Lynn for pointing out that recent offering from Leupold .

I think that if and when done RIGHT for any given individual , 8 x 30 can be a VERY practical choice for the daylight user who likes to carry binoculars around the neck for long periods of time .

I'm looking forward very much to hearing your first and subsequent impressions .

Regards , Kenny

#64 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

Ted,

I also have a "strong" Audubon 804 sample (MC version). The edges are actually quite good for such a wide field, I have to move a bird close to the edges to get it out of focus, and my focus accommodation ain't what it used to be.

I had expected the FMC and ED models to be a gaint leap forward, and in some ways they are better -- enhanced contrast, brighter, and more vibrant colors -- but for ease of view, my older MC 804 is still the best.

I had two MC 804s and both were excellent, but the second sample focuses closer -- 16 ft. vs. 20 ft. Like mutations, sample variations are rarely beneficial, but sometimes they are, same with my 17 ft. close focusing Nikon 12x50 SE.

The two great leaps in optics since the mid-80s have been better close focusing and enhanced coatings. Unfortunately, you can't just slap on FMC on old porros since the optics are configured for the coatings, as Edz pointed out in a CN thread I started a few months ago. Otherwise, I would be buying old classics and upgrading the coatings since many of the best porros were made before FMC became the new "gold" standard in the 1990s.

Lynn,

I tried Steve M.'s 6x30 Yosemite Sam, and dagburnit, the optics were a tarnation better than I had expected for this price point. If the 8x30s are as good, I think you will be pleased as a rooster in a hen house.

My issue with lightweight bins is that they don't dampen my shakes as well as my heavier bins. I find that 24-29 oz. hits the "sweet spot" for my built-in vibrator hands. But lightweight bins (20 oz. and under) sure feel nice around my neck.

#65 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:23 AM

Pentax's new DCF ED binoculars (SPs with ED glass objectives) are now available at Eagle Optics, but before I mention the price, please sit back in your chair so you don't fall off:
8x43 DCF ED -- $899
10x43 DCF ED -- $999

ED versions of porros usually cost ~$100 more than the non-ED version. But the Pentax roofs jumped btwn $400 and $500 more than the non-ED versions. Well, I guess like the man said, there are different TYPES of ED glass, and this kind must be spun with gold.

All this to get rid of excessive CA, which shouldn't have been there in the first place!

Can you say "Rip Off", boys and girls?

Heck, if I'm going to fork over THAT MUCH, I might as well pay a few hundred dollars more for the Kowa EDs and jump from a narrowish 50* AFOV to a more comfortable 59* AFOV and pick up the 99.9999% dieletric coatings and .5 more X.

Can you use the words "Pentax" and "Wannabe" in the same sentence, boys and girls?

#66 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

• Loc: Central New Jersey, USA

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

Brock,

I can hardly see false color at all with mid priced roof prism binos up to 10X43 size unless I really, really look for it. A white fence with bright sun in the background, crows on a high tree branch...maybe. I can see CA in my Leupold 12X50 roof if I am viewing the objects above but that's rare.

I would consider spending $899 for a Minox 15X58 ED but not for a Pentax DCF 8X43. The DCF SP or the lower cost EO SRT Ranger would be fine for me in the 43mm size. I think ED glass may be of value in a DCF 12.5X50 but I wouldn't want ask about the $$$$.....I know I can get the Nikon 12X50 SE for hundres less.

Erik D

#67 lynntx

lynntx

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hey Brock,
When I saw those prices for Pentax ED glass, I got a little nauseated. Holy cow! :shocked: ;>)

Lynn

#68 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:05 PM

I think we should wait for the reviews of the Pentax ED line because Pentax has been marketing binoculars for a very long time and would not charge more than the competition. When I purchased a pair of Pentax DCF WP 8x42's in the spring of 2000 for $339 they were the top rated 8x42 roofs under $500.

#69 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

$339 X 265.2% !=$899

Erik D

#70 medinabrit

medinabrit

Viking 1

• Loc: medina ohio USA.

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

It seems kind of unfair to knock the price of the pentax when they are half the price of the euro bins &30% lower than the high end nikons,
If they turn out to be as good as the others it makes them a bargain .
I Have the pentax pf ed scopes & they are very good.
Equal in my opinion to any others .
I do own some swarovski leica nikon minox also canon is .
I have pentax 8x42 wp which are very good too.
Maybe we should await some tests of them before we judge the value .
Seems a shame to see a bit of equpment snobbery in the astro hobby like they sometimes have in the birding side .
If i have upset anyone . Apologies.
Brian.

#71 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

$339 X 265.2% !=$899

Erik d

What does a 2000 DCF WP 8x42 have to do with a 2007 Pentax 8x43 DCF ED ? :confused:

#72 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

• Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:51 AM

Hi Joe,I'm with you and Brian on waiting until someone gets these and reviews or just talks about them.
Steve

#73 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:53 PM

$339 X 265.2% !=$899

Erik D

" When I purchased a pair of Pentax DCF WP 8x42's in the spring of 2000 for $339 they were the top rated 8x42 roofs under $500."

What does a 2000 DCF WP 8x42 have to do with a 2007 Pentax 8x43 DCF ED ? :confused:

My Sentiment exactly...

My 2003 DCF MP 8X28 received 3.8/4.0 score from birdwatchersdigest. It Was selected as a "best buy" AND reviewers' favorite in the under $500 price class. That model has the worst internal reflection I have ever encountered. ( My $29 Burgess Vireo show less ghost image under bright sun light.) I spoke to a Pentax sales rep at a scope show and he acknowledged the problem was caused by the design of the EP lens.

I guess I was unlucky in my choice of reviewers, but I wouldn't want to infer anything about a $900 DCF ED from my experience with a $200 DCF MP.

Erik D

#74 pcad

pcad

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:50 AM

I hope this post doesn't violate any TOS. If it does, I apologize and the mods can delete it if necessary.

I was visiting the Oberwerk site bigbinoculars.com and noticed that there are some new items in the discount page. Just thought people would like to know when interesting binoculars like these are available.

Peter

#75 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

BINOCULAR NEWS !

EXTRA EXTRA - READ ALL ABOUT IT !

I'm sure the whole optics world will be shocked and devastated to learn that I seem to have mysteriously LOST the Telstar 10 x 50 I'd had since 1966 .

I've searched the house high and low and there is no sign of it ANYWHERE .

Has anyone seen one for sale on " the broad inlet of sea where land curves inward of he " recently ?

Notable features included one dented objective rim and complete absence of left eyepiece .

Regards , Lenny

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics