Binocular NEWS ?

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#176 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Borscht Belt

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

The new Monarch X seems to have a Leupold clone, the Northfork binoculars.

Same configurations and specs except no mention of "dielectric" prism coatings. Instead they have one of those proprietary "SHR-enhanced" coatings, which could be the as dielectric.

The FOV is stingy on the 8.5x verion, but oddly, different in the 10.5X version (6.2*), good for a 10x bin, but not as good as the 6.6* of the Monarch X.

Given that these appear to be the same bins, it's odd that the 10.5x version should differ in FOV???

They are pricey like the "Xs".

But what I do like about the Northfolks vs. Monarchs is there is no center rod to keep your fingers from wrapping around the barrels.

I could see a potential problem for the collimation getting knocked out of alignment with those long barrels, but grip-wise, I think this version would be easier to handle.

The ergonomics on the Monarch have not gotten good marks in the reviews I've read.

Leupold 8.5x44 Northfork Binoculars

#177 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

Here's the latest open bridged "Euro" roof to hit the market from that GIANT of a miniature company, Minox, makers of the world's tiniest cameras.

Ladies and gentleman (and Kenny), I now present for your viewing pleasure the brand new, just off the assembly line (though I'm not sure from what country yet, waiting to hear from EO), elegant, open bridged roof for people with tiny hands (Ginger, a drum roll please)... :band:

The Minox CB BL 8x44 and 10x44 Binoculars!

Yes, it's true Minox has finally used the letter "C" in its nomenclature.

Standing 5.3" tall but only a minoxual 2.3" wide, this has got to be the world's narrowest open bridged "full sized" binoculars (ooo wee, I dink dat dey goofed wit da specs, maybe puttin' too much hot sauce in dere Gumbo):

The World's Narrowest Open Bridged Binoculars

#178 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

They could be 5.3" by 5" by 2.3". Not goofed specs, but incomplete?

#179 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

I was recently unreliably informed the C.B denomination by our non - German ( sorry GERMAN ) friends , Minox is a gesture to the great C.B.Fry .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._B._Fry

A remarkable man by any standards and the only world long jump record holder to have also played for England at both football ( a kind of soccer ) and cricket ( a kind of baseball with lunch , googlies and silly mid - ons ) .

Kenny

#180 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

A while back, I had commented, here, there, and everywhere, about my wish for Fujinon to make center focus binoculars.

They already do, but very limited - the BFL porros with their narrowish FOV and the Fujinon CD, which has meet with mixed reviews and looks suspiciously like a Meade Montana.

But now I see a new roof, simply called the MF (which I assume means "multi-flashlight").

Has anyone had a look through these? They also offer a 10x42. The dual use flashlight/bino is a cool feature.

Fujinon Multi-Flashlight 8x42 roofs

mini-flashlight/bin combos are also available:

LM (Light Flashlight) model

The LM models are available in two designer colors and are used by the Japanese Self-Defense Forces. I kid you not.

#181 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

• Loc: Under the southern horn of the bull

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Binocular NEWS!

New zeiss mid range roofs!

Read all about it:

http://www.zeiss.com...e/us_index.html

#182 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Are these a reaction to the Swarovski Companion, you think?

#183 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

I'll bet. Also, didn't Zeiss recently conduct some kind of user poll about bins? I supposed people wanted something cheaper and flatter.

#184 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Binocular NEWS!

Extra! Extra! Updated Trinovids from Leica:

http://uk.leica-came...rs/trinovid_42/

'Midrange' is the new cutting edge.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics