Photo

2006-07 Saturn drawing templates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

A simple template to aid in drawing the planet Saturn. Rings are at 14 degrees. A lot of hassles in photoshop to hammer out this one, even with some visual guidance from the templates over here for reference. Depending upon telescope type and diagonal configuration, you may need to flip this image 180 degrees to get North up :grin:

I like to use Microsoft Word to place and size the Saturn templates on the page to be printed out. Along with lines and boxes to fill in seeing conditions, instrument and EP used, etc.,

Attached Files

#2 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:02 PM

And one without the ring divisions. A 15 degree ring tilt was virtually indiscernible in difference from this 14 degree one… so into 2007, April, when Saturn is at 15 degrees I’m just going to cheat and keep using this template…

Well, hope this helps some people! Of course, I wish people who have never tried drawing Saturn or any planet will be encouraged to give it a try! It is a necessary step to take any observing to the next level, to train your eye and brain and to extract new detail and perceive more...

Make a drawing tablet, a small piece of wood to hold the paper, a white LED light (one I find useful is this one here or maybe this one here), pen/pencil holders etc,. and have this small compact unit stuck with large Velcro pads to the telescope at all times. That way, there will not be any running around collecting together the things you need. And there will be no excuses :grin:

Attached Files

#3 Talstarone

Talstarone

Lunar Man

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:26 PM

Thank You very much EverlastingSky :). That is a gret job you have done on the templates. I know to get them that detailed and accurate was not an easy task. So Thank You for the time you have taken to share these with you fellow Cloudy Nights memebrs. A Job Well Done! :bow:

#4 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

Welcome to the sketching forum, Everlasting. :D And thanks for the templates. I've added them to the sticky thread at the top of the forum for reference and make it easy to find.

#5 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for sharing the templates, EverlastingSky. I had run across the Saturn template site some time ago and had lost the link to it. It's a nice resource, and your cleaned up versions are very helpful.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics