Could I remove an LXD-55's motors/encoders...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:42 PM

and install them on my Vixen GP head?
Thanks.

#2 luckyman

luckyman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:14 PM

I don't know but there is a group on yahoo http://groups.yahoo....oboScope/files/ I am sure they can help. I do know there are people installing ds motors on different mounts :shrug:

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:09 AM

The recent dumping by Meade's outlet makes that an attractive notion. It also makes the EQ-6 conversion a little more practical. I think someone here on CN has LXD55 motors on a Vixen mount; I'll dig around and try to see who that is. How about an Autostar conversion for a Dob? :jump:

#4 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:02 PM

Boy John, your REALLY after that dob conversion eh ? Go have a look at yer messages.. I left ya a link a few days ago regarding that.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:14 PM

Boy John, your REALLY after that dob conversion eh ? Go have a look at yer messages.. I left ya a link a few days ago regarding that.

Thanks for the link - I did look at it but got careless and failed to respond to your note.

I have the Dob Drivers installed on Dobber II and Dobbest and got to play with the one on Dobber II over the weekend - it's great to have tracking at that aperture! The goto is a little clumsy, though, and requires a laptop so an Autostar conversion would be interesting. I'd much rather use the more robust (and harder to get) LXD55 motors for something that heavy so I'm pondering grabbing one just to strip.

#6 Oldfield

Oldfield

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:58 PM

If it can be done easily, it's a real great news for those LXD55 owners, since they can upgrade to the new one by selling the LXD55 to GP owner.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:18 AM

The instructions for adapting LXD55 autostar, motors etc to GP are in this file.
http://24.237.160.4/...ofit_v1.0.2.pdf

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:25 AM

The instructions for adapting LXD55 autostar, motors etc to GP are in this file.
http://24.237.160.4/...ofit_v1.0.2.pdf

That article addresses the installation of DS series motors. That project is quite involved. The LXD55 motors should be very nearly a bolt-on installation on the Vixen mount.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:26 AM

Also see this site. It is less complicated

http://bedair.org/Gem.html

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:32 AM

Here is the one I was looking for: close to direct bolt on replacement
http://www.weasner.c..._celestron.html

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:35 AM

Also see this site. It is less complicated

http://bedair.org/Gem.html

Again, that mod is for the lighter and less powerful DS series motors. Those motors have been used for conversions because, although extensive mechanical mods are required, they are readily and inexpensively available. The larger and more powerful LXD55 motors will be better suited and are already set up for the same gearing. I wouldn't be shocked if they simply bolted on.

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:09 AM

Well, I went ahead and did it. I had to change one screw, the one for the RA drive as my RA motor used a metric screw and the Meade RA motor uses a 1/4"-20 thread screw. No big deal. I also changed out the gears that attach to the worm gear shafts as the Meade gears are a different diameter than the ones I have with my current motor drives. One screw and two drops of Lock-Tite. Pretty easy project, fairly inexpensive. Now if the weather would cooperate, I could test the bloody thing.

#13 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:25 PM

Well, I went ahead and did it.

Great! Don't leave us hanging too long waiting for a report!

#14 TOMars

TOMars

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:22 PM

the constant wind here is enough to drive one mad.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:49 AM

It works in the house, and I did a little observing of the moon. I can't see polaris from my patio, so I couldn't do a polar alignment with any reall accuracy. But everything seems to work. I'll try again in a few days.

#16 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:30 PM

and install them on my Vixen GP head?
Thanks.

Well, I'm a bit late, it seems...

Check out the Roboscope group over on Yahoo, they do these kind of mods all the time.

Charlie

hope the mod works perfectly - My Atlas conversion will be ready soon!

Charlie

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

Well, I got to try the beastie out last night. The wind finally quit blowing and it was dark and cloud-free to boot. Tracking is very good, but the GoTo was a little off. I have to "train" the drives (I forgot to take the manual with me :foreheadslap:) and fiddle around a little with the backlash settings. Other than that, it works very well.

#18 Oldfield

Oldfield

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:19 PM

I heard from someone saying that LXD55 motors can be installed on GP/GP-DX very easily, all we need to do is to cut the bolt shorter in order not to hurt the motors.

Let's see.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics