Photo

Tele-Optic GIRO 3...What Do You Think?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

Anyone using this alt/az mount and what do you think of it??

#2 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

Is this a new Giro mount? I am aware of a Giro 2 DX(I have one), A Giro XXL and a Giro Mini. I have not heard of a GIRO 3.

There are reviews of the Giro 2 DX and Giro XXL in the CN review section.

A Giro 2 DX two arm version can handle 30 lb OTA on EACH side!

ERik D

#3 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

Eric;
Marcus of APM in Germany is showing the Giro 3 on his webpage...I've e-mailed him asking the same question.
Jeff Kurtz

#4 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:41 AM

Jeff,

I went to the APM web page to have a look. The Giro3 DX photo, weight( 4.6 lb) and specs looks very much like my Giro 2 DX except for the red paint job. The Giro 2 is a pretty amazing mount for it's size. I am mounting a 6in F8 triplet. OTA weight with pair of 7in ID rings, dovetail plate, 9X50 finder and 2 in diagonal is about 29 lbs....let us know what you find out about the Giro 3.

Erik D

#5 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

Erik;
How difficult was it for you to adapt to "hand powering". Did you buy from a dealer in the USA or from APM in Germany. How smooth are mount motions at high power. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Jeff Kurtz

#6 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:25 PM

the diffrence between the GR2DX and GR3DX is inside live only. The GR3 DX has smoother motion on both axis . For the beginning we have now the red, the silver and black follows.
Price did not changed. US dealers where you also can order them, we can tell you off-line

thanks
APM Markus Ludes

#7 suburbanskies

suburbanskies

Messenger

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

the diffrence between the GR2DX and GR3DX is inside live only. The GR3 DX has smoother motion on both axis.

Markus, does the Giro3DX uses ball bearings on the inside for smoother action?

Thanks,
Mark

#8 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

Mark;
I don't believe it uses ball bearings...it claims to be precision CNC machined...Tech 2000 has a writeup on their webpage which gives a good overview of the GIRO2...they appear to produce a goto drive system for this mount which seems to be well conceived and adds allot of additional functionality as a future upgrade.
Jeff Kurtz

#9 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

Here is a review of the Giro XXL with photos of inside and comments about the Giro 2:

http://www.cloudynig...php?item_id=459

I am not sure if using ball bearings in a alt az mount will be an advantage. You need SOME tension on the bearing surface instead of a free roatating one like a bicycle wheel or in-line skate.

Jeff,

I purchased the Giro 2 DX, 7 inch Parallex Rings, Losmandy G 11 saddle, 13 inch DUP Plate and 2X 11 lb counter wts from ITE as a package in 2003. I had no experience with the Giro and wanted to purhcase everything from one dealer to make sure they all fit. Waited ~two month for the dealer to order and have the Losmandy saddle drilled to match the mounting holes on Giro. In the end the dealer send the saddle to Parallax to do the drilling. Also paid 2X$75 for the countery wts. It end up costing more than $950 for a two arm Giro 2 DX and all the accessories. Now that I know what I need I can order the parts myself and have it done quicker and cheaper.

The key to smooth operation with the Giro is balance. You'll want a long dovetail plate to slide back and forth when you change diagonal/binoviewer/EPs. You don't need slo mo controls or any tension on the Altitude knob when the OTA is balanced. Light finger tip pressure is all that's needed. I have used my up to 300X. Tracks just fine.

ERik D

#10 suburbanskies

suburbanskies

Messenger

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:01 PM

The key to smooth operation with the Giro is balance. You'll want a long dovetail plate to slide back and forth when you change diagonal/binoviewer/EPs. You don't need slo mo controls or any tension on the Altitude knob when the OTA is balanced. Light finger tip pressure it all that's needed. I have used my up to 300X. Tracks just fine.

ERik D

Erik, I wholeheartedly agree. With the Giro2DX, I had great action when balanced. I could never understand how others could get acceptable action without any counterweight!

Jeff: I am a bit concerned about the long-term action of this mount. I've heard concerns that the teflon pads used in the Giro2 may wear down over time. I was wondering if the manufacturer had switched to ball bearings because, unlike teflon, would be stable over time.

In any case, it is a very good product. I used a TEC140, Giro2DX, binoviewer, TMB 8mm Monos and had a great time observing Mars several years ago...

Mark

#11 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

Eric and Mark;
THANK YOU for your responses. Mark...it appears you use counterweights to achieve balance...while Eric seems to slide the scope up and down on its dovetail...it seems either way would work BUT moving a counterweight would be the easiest method. I also wonder if the Giro3 had made some improvement with Teflon pads to ensure a longer life. I'm not sure why you feel the Giro2 might not hold up well long term. As I rarely observe for more than two hours at a time...the Alt/Az option of quick setup would be ideal. I'm hoping Marcus may comment...I sent him an e-mail on Thursday and have not heard back from him.
Jeff Kurtz

#12 PJF

PJF

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

I've heard concerns that the teflon pads used in the Giro2 may wear down over time.

As far as I'm aware, the Giro2 is not designed to be used with teflon pads - my unit certainly has none.

The mount is made up of accurately machined metal parts sliding against each other with a lubricant. It is an extremely simple design, executed extremely well.

#13 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

Here is a bit more info about the Giro from John Ford's CN review. The whole review in availble from the link in my previous post:

The specs say that the design of the XXL is completely different from the GR-2D, suggesting that there are bearings of some kind in this design. Judging by the smoothness of the action, I was almost convinced of this, yet when large unbalanced loads were applied (scope with no counterweight), the friction increased quite significantly, while still remaining very smooth and useable. So, I did the only logical thing…I took it apart. As you can see from the picture, there are no bearings in this design. In fact, it is exactly the same design as the GR-2D, only bigger.

http://www.cloudynig...s/tmb152x11.jpg

Erik D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics