My CN Gallery
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.
PCW Memorial Observatory
Michael Rosolina Celestron CGE Pro 1400 f/11 SCT 1980 Orange Tube C8 f/10 SCT 108mm f/4.2 Astroscan Reflector 50mm f/10 Galileoscope 40mm PST f/10 APM Germany HD 15x70 binoculars Canon 12x36 IS II binoculars Mark I Eyeball My CN Gallery
Older sketches in Members Galleries (rolandlinda3)
Equipment: Binoculars & Telescopes & plain old eyes
Special equipment: sometimes astrovideo in place of eyepieces
Sally My CN Gallery
Mark Seibold, Artist-Photographer-University Instructor-Lecturer, Record holder for most sketch awards and un-broken record over the astro-photographers for over five years
Quote:Mark --When you're doing a 2 or 3 hour sketch, would you take several breaks during that time, or do you find the whole process relaxing to start with?I used to race formula cars; when I was a novice my lap times would start to fade after only 2 or 3 laps, but with practice and improved skill I got to where I could nearly concentrate for a full race (about 20 laps). So perhaps I just need more practice sketching (both to decrease my effort-per-minute and increase my total effort "budget").Part of it must also be that I feel a bit rushed doing prominences. I did about an hour and a half of deep sky sketching the other night, and didn't feel worn out at all. But there I'm only sketching about 40% of the time, and the other 60% is finding, viewing, switching eyepieces, etc.-- Jeff.
Quote:When I used to do the sun I started with a rough pencil sketch that I then referred to in the house later to render the colored pastel from. I know that is now frowned on by the sketching moderators.
Parks Astrolight EQ6 (6" f/6 Newt)
10x50 Bushnell Binoculars
Quote: As long as you are careful not to embellish you re-drawn sketch with details not present in the eyepiece or on the original field sketch, this is perfectly acceptable and (I would imagine) a common practice.
Quote:As long as you are careful not to embellish you re-drawn sketch with details not present in the eyepiece or on the original field sketch, this is perfectly acceptable and (I would imagine) a common practice.Carry on! [Eric]========Embellishment, before I stepped down from being a moderator, was always the key factor in deciding where a sketch should be posted...sketching forum vs astro art. Redrawing a field sketch inside never came to play in this decision unless features on the target where added that weren't actually there from the original observational pencil sketch. Also, the inclusion of hands being drawn in were never taken into consideration. It was always based on embellishments of the target itself. If it was obvious that the finished sketch came more from outside sources or imagination to make a "pretty sketch", then it defeated the purpose that this sketching forum was originally started for. The Astro Art forum would be the better fit in that case.If there is no distinction between between the two, then perhaps the two forums should be combined. [Erika]
Quote:Mark, you are a superb artist and a great ambassador for astronomy and sketching.