Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03
Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: frank5817]
      #3233980 - 07/23/09 10:08 AM

Jeremy--thanks for posting these two careful observations and well executed sketches of the Wesley Impact scar.

Carlos--thanks for putting us in orbit around the King!

Rich--let us know where you post your images.

Kris and Frank--good luck on your local weather. I've had the scope ready to go, but we've had clouds and t-storms day and night here all week.

--------------------

Michael Rosolina
Celestron CGE Pro 1400 f/11 SCT
1980 Orange Tube C8 f/10 SCT
4.25" f/4.2 Astroscan Reflector
50mm f/10 Galileoscope
40mm PST f/10
APM Germany HD 15x70 binoculars
Canon 12x36 IS II binoculars
Mark I Eyeball
My CN Gallery

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #3233982 - 07/23/09 10:09 AM

Jeremy,

Another excellent observation of Jupiter showing the Wesley comet impact scar. The impact site appears to be enlarging (most probably due to shearing forces of the jovian atmosphere). It is interesting to follow the development of this cometary impact site over the South Polar Region of Jupiter. I hope that we can all observe it as well over the next few weeks. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

--------------------

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
      #3234146 - 07/23/09 11:42 AM

Jeremy

Great sketch! [And your earlier one in Spaceweather yesterday too!]

I was compelled to sketch Jupiter last night but could only see it for fleeting seconds through clouds. I forgot which polar region the impact scare was at, It is new to me so I thought I read the south polar region. However I easily noticed the obvious moon transit shadow just to the right of the GRS through my 10.1 inch Dobsonian; that compelled me to sketch at least that but then the clouds took over too soon.

I am confused now. I keep reading the impact scare as in the south polar region [as reported in yesterdays NY Times; you'd think I as an astronomer would get my info from an astronomy site and not the NY Times but I do have the transit times for it from the Australian Ice in Space forums], but then I see it here in your sketch in what I thought was inverted as it would be seen in a Dob, yet you are showing it at bottom as proper south orientation. ( I did easily see the SL-9 in 1994 and showed it to all my neighbors.)

Thanks again for any info Jeremy,

Mark

Edited by markseibold (07/23/09 01:38 PM)

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: markseibold]
      #3234192 - 07/23/09 12:06 PM

Thanks again for the comments on the sketch. Mark, I have this bad habit of rotating all my sketches so that north is up. To help provide a reference, I do usually drop a compass rose somewhere in the sketch. Since we're dealing with Jupiter, I replace the "W" with a "P" for preceding, so there is no confusion about whether I'm saying celestial West or planetary West. In any case, I probably need to re-assess whether putting north up on planetary sketches is a good idea. I think it works well for deep sky, but it does seem to go against the grain for planets.

Weather is really making this difficult for a lot of folks. I hope you all do catch a break from it at some point very soon.

--------------------

Orion SVP 6LT (6" f/8 Newt) || Orion XT8 (8" f/5.9 Dob) || 15x70 Oberwerk Binoculars || Coronado PST
The Belt Of Venus || Sketch Gallery || Sketching Resources || Drawn to the Universe Column

Kris.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Belgium
      #3234337 - 07/23/09 01:36 PM

Jeremy, another fine jupiter sketch
we might have a break in the clouds this weekend

--------------------
Kris

To be old & wise, you first gotta be young & stupid

my website

my CN sketch & picture gallery

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04
Loc: Chicagoland
Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: Kris.]
      #3234388 - 07/23/09 02:09 PM

great Jupiter sketch, glad to see the impact is still visible, maybe i will get a chance to look tonight, clouds have been relentless this week.

Edited by Tommy5 (07/23/09 02:09 PM)

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08
Loc: Utah
Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: Tommy5]
      #3234514 - 07/23/09 03:31 PM

Jeremy

A terrific sketch and your observations are really close to what I observed. No need to post my poor man's version!

Carlos,

I enjoy all of your sketches and this one is tremendous! S&T or Astronomy should use it when they describe the event.

I spent time last night sketching M25 (did M23 the night before) since I had never done those open clusters. Then I spent it in Cygnus observing and sketching the Veil Nebula NGC 6690 and 6692. Also went after M29, several PN's and before moving to Jupiter I ended in Cygnus with PK 64. 5.1. I was at a dark site last night but today the monsoon is coming back so . . . . I'll see what evening brings.

--------------------
Thanks,

Jay

My Observing Blog

My Sketches

Scopes: XT10, 14" Dobstuff Strut w/Zambuto,
EPs: Pentax XW's, a few ES, a couple of TV's and a few others

"I believe in the pursuit of happiness. Not its attainment, nor its final definition, but its pursuit." Andrew Sullivan.

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

#3235487 - 07/24/09 02:39 AM Attachment (62 downloads)

I was finally able to get a view of the jupiter impact myself, it is really cool. I set up my 6" achro at about 11:30 cdt, and looked at jup, the impact was very hard to observe due to jup low altitude and seeing conditions, around midnight things improved considerably, the impact area is the darkest thing on the planet easilly visible even when i stopped down the 6" C6R to 4.5 ". It does look a little elongated. The neb was very turbulant the seb had the usual rift running through it.I was able to use my new TMB 8mm planetary eyepiece which gave a great view at 150x, the impact seems easiler to see at lower then max mag as it is a high contrast dot much like a shadow transit a literal hole drilled through the polar region. After midnight the seeing improved and i had a breathe taking view of jup more detail than i could sketch,i hope other folks get to see this, not as impressive as the 94 strike but really cool beans.

Attachment

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03
Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
      #3235626 - 07/24/09 07:12 AM

Nice job, T5 and good report!

--------------------

Michael Rosolina
Celestron CGE Pro 1400 f/11 SCT
1980 Orange Tube C8 f/10 SCT
4.25" f/4.2 Astroscan Reflector
50mm f/10 Galileoscope
40mm PST f/10
APM Germany HD 15x70 binoculars
Canon 12x36 IS II binoculars
Mark I Eyeball
My CN Gallery

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06
Loc: Illinois
Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: Special Ed]
      #3235715 - 07/24/09 08:58 AM

Tommy5,

Congratulations, you have produced a very nice sketch of Jupiter and the impact aftermath.
I am hoping to catch an opportunity soon. I am much encouraged by your great report and excellent sketch.

Frank

--------------------
My Gallery

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: frank5817]
      #3236036 - 07/24/09 12:52 PM

Thanks Frank and Micheal, check this out whenever you can, easy to see when the seeing steadies, you wouldn't really notice it unless you knew what is was and where it is, i had really steady skies after midnight and saw a lot more than what is in the sketch but this is my first jup sketch of this season so didn't draw a lot of detail inside the seb and neb.

Edited by Tommy5 (07/24/09 02:23 PM)

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      #3236110 - 07/24/09 01:45 PM

Great sketch and report, Tommy5! It sounds like the seeing and contrast in your refractor gave some really nice views of the impact site.

--------------------

Orion SVP 6LT (6" f/8 Newt) || Orion XT8 (8" f/5.9 Dob) || 15x70 Oberwerk Binoculars || Coronado PST
The Belt Of Venus || Sketch Gallery || Sketching Resources || Drawn to the Universe Column

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

#3236169 - 07/24/09 02:25 PM

Thanks Jeremy the seeing was so steady last night, nice to see you sketching planets again on CN.

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
      #3236330 - 07/24/09 04:00 PM

Nice to see that others are getting a chance to see this. Nice sketch Tommy. Jeremy, I got so busy photographing the noctilucent clouds last night and sending to Spaceweather, I have still not sketched, possibly one of the Noctilucent Clouds and the crescent moon setting. Still have not seen the Jupiter Impact.

NPR had a discussion on Science Friday today. I was on hold to talk but they ran out of time so I commented to the call screener about the importance of observing and allowing the public through public star parties. I commented in their online site. It can be reviewed to re-listen to the audio as they interviewed the Australian Mr Wesly who discovered the impact.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106974473

(Sound archives at 6 PM EDT or 3 PM PDT daily)

Unfortunately I had too much to say and my comment cut off although I got in the importance of astronomy sketching.

Mark

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: markseibold]
      #3236352 - 07/24/09 04:16 PM

Thanks Mark, nice to see amatuer astronomy getting some media coverage.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

#3237199 - 07/25/09 05:35 AM

Thank you all for the compliments on my artist rendering of what the Wesley Comet Impact Site (WCIS) would look like to an astronaut in low jovian orbit north of the impact site. It is very exciting to follow this rare event.

Tommy- Your observation of Jupiter and the impact site is excellent. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Mark- Thank you for the link to the NPR interview with the Australian discoverer Anthony Wesley. Mr. Wesley is a talented planetary imager.

The Hubble Space telescope (HST) obtained an image of the impact scar on July 23rd. It is very interesting to see the evolution of the impact site;
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/23/image/a/

Carlos

--------------------

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Re: dark impact mark on jupiter new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3238077 - 07/25/09 04:40 PM

Thanks Carlos i'm glad this impact happened in the summer was jup is visible and the weather is at least sometimes clear here in the midwest.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

#3238333 - 07/25/09 07:50 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

I made an observation of Jupiter showing the Wesley Comet Impact Scar (WCIS) over the South Polar Region (SPR) of Jupiter. The impact scar appeared bi-lobed with extensions and a tail.

Date (U.T.): July 24, 2009
Time (U.T.): 05:00
L1 231.5, L2 206.1, L3 298.8
Ds 0.5, De 0.2, Diameter 48" (Equatorial)
Instrument: 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain
Magnification: 248x and 388x
Filters: None
Seeing (1-10): 7, Antoniadi (I-V): II
Transparency (1-6): 4

Notes:
North Polar Region (NPR): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and mottled. No other detail is visible within.
North Temperate Zone (NTZ): Appears shaded to bright (6-7/10) without any detail visible within it.
North Temperate Belt (NTB): Appears to be divided into two thin, dusky (4/10) components (North and South) with a bright (7/10) middle zone. A dark (3/10) elongated condensation is noted along the northern border of the northern component towards the preceding limb.
North Tropical Zone (NTrZ): Appears bright (7/10) without any detail visible within.
North Equatorial Belt (NEB): Appears dark to shaded (3-4/10) with dark condensations (3/10) and bright rifts (7/10) noted within it. Dark (3/10) barges (rods) are noted along the northern border (NRB-N) and blue festoons along the southern border (NEB-S).
Equatorial Zone (EZ): Appears bright (7/10) with a thin, dull (5/10) band over the middle portion (equator). Very bright (8/10) ovals are noted over it's northern half along the North Equatorial Belt (NEB).
South Equatorial Belt (SEB): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) with the southern component (SEB-S) thicker than the northern component (SEB-N). The South Equatorial Belt Zone (SEBZ) appears a pastel orange color with thin, dull (5/10) columns extending between the northern and southern components.
South Tropical Zone (STrZ): Appears bright (7/10) with a thin, angled dusky (4/10) projection over it's preceding half extending from the northern border of the South Temperate Belt (STB-N).
South Temperate Belt (STB): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) with a thin, shaded (6/10) section (zone?) over it's southern half which contains four bright (7/10) ovals within it's southern portion.
South Polar Region (SPR): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and mottled. The Wesley Comet impact Scar (WCIS) noted along the central meridian (CM). The WCIS appears very to extremely dark (8-9/10), bi-lobed (smaller southern component than northern), with dusky to dull (4-5/10) projections ("wings"), and thin, dusky (4/10) projection ("tail") to the north. The WCIS reminds me of the impact scars produced by Shoemaker-Levy 9 in 1994.

The Galilean satellites visible are (preceding to following) Ganymede (4.48m), Callisto (5.51m), Io (4.90m), and Europa (5.17m).

The best of luck in your own observations/imaging of Jupiter and the Wesley Comet Impact Scar (WCIS).

A digital image produced in Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attachment

CarlosEH
Postmaster

#3238336 - 07/25/09 07:51 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

I made a sectional sketch of the Wesley Impact Scar (WCIS). The impact scar appeared as described above (bi-lobed, projections ("wings and a tail"). The preceding end of the impact scar was timed at 05:00 U.T. (L2 206.1/L3 298.9), center (05:09 U.T., L2 211.6/L3 304.3), and following end (05:22 U.T., L2 219.4/L3 312.1).

A digital image produced in Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attachment

--------------------

Jaycin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/06
Loc: Oregon, USA
      #3238598 - 07/25/09 11:12 PM

Holy Cow!!! Boy, what a treat to come back to! Jeremy, Carlos, and Tommy: You all have done some spectacular work!!! Thank you for sharing!

Tonight I will be making my first trip to clear, dark skies since I arrived in Oregon. I will definitely be spending some time with the King!

--------------------
Jason

Zhumell 8" Dobsonian
60mm Meade Telestar

Sketching the Cosmos

Messier countdown: 102 down, 8 to go!

Salem, Oregon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7236

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics