Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05
Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Super Polaris mount upgrade? new [Re: Mike Holland]
      #1947785 - 10/30/07 08:23 AM

My VSP is loaded down with about 13-14 pounds worth of scopes - both scopes seen in my sigline, with the smaller Pentax riding piggyback on the larger Vixen. At high powers, dampening times are excellent - one second or less. Of course, having custom 2" thick hardwood tripod legs helps.

--------------------
Michael Gilmer - Member of the Meteoritical Society & Collector of Falling Stars.

☄ ⒼⒶⓁⒶⒸⓉⒾⒸ ⓈⓉⓄⓃⒺ ☞ www.galactic-stone.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BarrySimon615
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: Super Polaris mount upgrade? new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #1953035 - 11/01/07 10:20 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

In upgrading a SP or SP-DX mount you need to know a bit more about it's vintage. Early SP mounts required an adapter plate that bolts onto the top of the equatorial head. This plate has a dovetail that accepts the dec. motor. Later SP mounts and SP-DX had this plate built in. Also in upgrading motors with current DD-1 hand controller and motors, your power cord receptacles should be 8 pin, not the original 5 pin.

My SP purchased in 1992 is an 8 pin model. It's dual axis drive system is multi-directional in dec., but only forward and stop in RA. My SP-DX purchased sometime in or about 1998 or so (I will have to go back and check) was upgraded shortly after purchase to a multi-directional RA and DD-1 hand controller purchased thru Orion. The SP-DX will handle a 25 lb load for photography assuming the moment arm is not too long.

I am posting a photo of my SP-DX with Tak TSA 102. I will have this rig with me next week at the Deep South Regional StarGaze (Nov. 6th to the 11th)

Barry Simon

Attachment

Edited by BarrySimon615 (11/01/07 10:24 AM)

Glassthrower

Re: Super Polaris mount upgrade? new [Re: BarrySimon615]
      #1954198 - 11/01/07 07:11 PM

Nice rig Barry.

I have the later black finish SP with the DEC motor bracket built-in.

--------------------
Michael Gilmer - Member of the Meteoritical Society & Collector of Falling Stars.

BarrySimon615
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super Polaris mount upgrade? new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #1955055 - 11/02/07 02:50 AM

Quote:

Nice rig Barry.

I have the later black finish SP with the DEC motor bracket built-in.

The black, actually a dark bronze finish is Celestron's color for the mount. A Vixen badged SP or SP DX were always Vixen green. The dec bracket on both my regular SP and the SP-DX are build in. Primary differences you can see between the regular SP and the DX included the block seen between the RA setting circles and the Dec. housing. The beefier altitude screws plus 2 instead of one,and black painted setting circles instead of silver anodized.

Barry Simon

john strnck

Reged: 07/07/04
      #1955404 - 11/02/07 09:08 AM

what about the dovetail on the SP? i have a chance to get the black model from the 80's- it has the motor drives and original sky sensor (probably worthless by todays go-to standards)- my concern is will my CG5 type OTA dovetails work on the mount?- i cant seem to get a clear picture of this- the mountings on the newer GP use the standard vixwn type of today-- what mod will the SP need top accept these?

pollux
artiste

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Burnaby Canada
      #1955643 - 11/02/07 11:05 AM

Quote:

Primary differences you can see between the regular SP and the DX included the block seen between the RA setting circles and the Dec. housing.

Hi Barry, I noticed that too on your photo, I wonder what that's for...

--------------------
My Web Site

Glassthrower

Re: Super Polaris mount upgrade? new [Re: pollux]
      #1956993 - 11/02/07 08:07 PM

John, PM sent.

--------------------

johnfdean
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: southern tip of Illinois
      #1958536 - 11/03/07 02:52 PM

Can't argue on the Polaris. I have one from a Celestron newt C-6 I got from Orion in the mid-80s. Vixen was making them back then, It still works fine.

BarrySimon615
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super Polaris mount upgrade? new [Re: john strnck]
      #1959001 - 11/03/07 06:31 PM

Quote:

what about the dovetail on the SP? i have a chance to get the black model from the 80's- it has the motor drives and original sky sensor (probably worthless by todays go-to standards)- my concern is will my CG5 type OTA dovetails work on the mount?- i cant seem to get a clear picture of this- the mountings on the newer GP use the standard vixwn type of today-- what mod will the SP need top accept these?

The Super Polaris and Super Polaris DX do not have a dovetail mounting system. Telescope cradle or telescope rings have to be hardmounted thru the mounting holes on the top of the declination axis.

Barry Simon

BarrySimon615
Carpal Tunnel

#1959022 - 11/03/07 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Primary differences you can see between the regular SP and the DX included the block seen between the RA setting circles and the Dec. housing.

Hi Barry, I noticed that too on your photo, I wonder what that's for...

They can fit a larger treadmill in here and two extra hamsters. Makes the right ascension drive better with greater load carrying capacity. Seriously both the Super Polaris DX and Great Polaris DX have this in relation to the non-DX versions of both mounts. While I do not remember reading just what this housing is all about, I would assume it allows room for more sophisticated bearings of some sort giving the mount a greater load carrying capacity. Maybe someone else can answer this question with better specifics.

Barry Simon

Rick
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/12/05
Loc: Tokyo, Japan
      #1959745 - 11/04/07 01:50 AM

That space is for installation of the internal polar scope illuminator. Uses 2 3A's.

clear skies,
Rick

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2122

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics