Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09
Re: CGEM vs. EQ6 Pro new [Re: rmollise]
      #3285642 - 08/21/09 10:01 AM

Here's one workaround (there are others):

Appendix No. 6. Short cut to putting the “little circle” in your finder scope in the correct position. Polaris is just off true north, as is well known. The SP/GP/CG5 polar scopes come with detailed instructions about how to use the dial on the RA axis to use date and time to move the little circle in the finder to the correct position. This is necessary because Polaris is “off” true north in a different direction (from the Earth) depending on where it has rotated relative to true polar north. Here is a shortcut that works. 1. Find Cassiopeia. Look at the star that is the left-most (when seen as a “W”) or the right-most (when seen as an “M”). 2. Draw a line from that star in Cassiopeia to the horizon. That line points to six o’clock; the left most star of the “W” is the center of the clock. 3. Find Polaris. What hour is Polaris indicating relative to your reference star in Cassiopeia? 4. If Polaris is at 10 o’clock, put your little Polaris circle at 4 o’clock. If Polaris is at 12 o’clock, put the little circle at 6 o’clock. If Polaris is at 4 o’clock, put the little circle at 10 o’clock. The pattern here is that the “little circle” should be set exactly six hours off the “Cassiopeia clock” you established in steps 1-3.

--------------------
Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope.

FRACTOR WARS

hp mini
color test!
C14 movie
C14 article
C14_EdgeHD
ExtremeAstronomy
Losmandy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
yg1968
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/04
Re: CGEM vs. EQ6 Pro new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3285757 - 08/21/09 11:17 AM

Here is another work around. Here is a small software program that locates Polaris' position in relation to the North celestial pole (NCP). Useful for polar alignment.

http://manastro.co.uk/software/polar204.zip

You can use this program to place Polaris on the red circle in your polar scope. The HC of the EQ-6 Pro also tells you the hour angle of Polaris. But this software gives you a better visual idea of where Polaris should be.

o1d_dude
o1der than dirt

Reged: 10/03/07
Loc: The Wolfpack
Re: CGEM vs. EQ6 Pro new [Re: yg1968]
      #3288664 - 08/23/09 02:50 AM

I use PolarFinder 2.0 at home as well. Because I use it so much, I put the icon right on my desktop. LOL!

When I'm out and about and my PC is at home, I use Dr. Clay's "Kochab Clock" method an explanation of which can be found H E R E . You'll have to scroll down to see the diagram.

--------------------
Kit

'Dont worry about what telescope you own, or its quality. Just get out under the night sky, and enjoy Gods wondrous universe.' - Thomas M Back

M54

Reged: 11/17/08
Re: CGEM vs. EQ6 Pro new [Re: o1d_dude]
      #3288769 - 08/23/09 06:18 AM

I searched youtube and found few vids demonstrating EQ5/6 mounts. Those seem to be pretty quiet when slewing But there is a significantly nasty sound when starting/stopping slewing (I wonder what that sound would be when operating well below -10C). Is that common with EQs and could changing the lubricants/bearings cure it?

No vid found showing CGEM.
There seem to be some threads here discussing over this noise issue which is pretty important to me (neighbor's bedroom less than 30ft away).
I might accept slightly higher slewing noise but start/stop should be free of extra noise.

BR Ben

WarrenS
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: Orange County New York
Re: CGEM vs. EQ6 Pro new [Re: M54]
      #3288895 - 08/23/09 08:58 AM

Significantly nasty can be a relative term. My Atlas(EQ6) does make the "coffee grinder" noise when starting and stopping slewing but it's so subdued it's only really noticeable compared to the dead silence when tracking. Early on after I first bought the mount I'd have to put my ear right up against it to make sure it was still tracking!
If your neighbors' bedroom window is less than 30ft away I would think you hear a lot more noise coming out of there than they'd be hearing from your mount! YMMV

--------------------
Warren

Astro-Tech 127EDT
Celestron Onyx 80ED
Astro-Tech Field Flattener
C8 (circa 1983 Orange Tube)
Atlas EQ-G, Orion SSAG
Canon 135mm F2.8 Nikon 180mm F2.8 ED, 300mm F4.5 ED
Canon XS Gary Honis Mod, 40D(the Band it) Philips SPC900
Astronomik CLS clip-in filter Hutech IDAS 2" LP filter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39603117@N03/?saved=1

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: CGEM vs. EQ6 Pro new [Re: WarrenS]
      #3289005 - 08/23/09 10:28 AM

The start/stop rattle is normal for stepper motors on ramp up and ramp down between rest and full speed, and GOTOs for this mount only happen at full speed. I haven't heard of any temperature influence. Lube and bearings have no relation; those only affect the tracking precision.

The noise can be minimized by fine-tuning the mesh of the gear train and tweaking the worm alignment. Instructions are all over the EQ6 Users' Yahoo site, as well sites of some posters here and other places. Fairly easy to do, but the final few milimeters of adjustment of both the mesh and the worm can be frustrating; locking down the final location can shift the setup and result in binding or looseness that might be worse than it was at the start. Some folks get lucky and are done in less than 30 minutes including removing/reinstalling the motors to adjust by feel, some chase it for hours and hours. It's a task to keep the obsessive-compulsive tinkerers busy for a long time.

--------------------
Jim
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star Party
gcsp[at]tucsonastronomy.org

Equipped with his five senses, man explores the
universe around him and calls the adventure
Science - Edwin Hubble

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07
Re: CGEM vs. EQ6 Pro new [Re: M54]
      #3289316 - 08/23/09 01:47 PM

Quote:

I searched youtube and found few vids demonstrating EQ5/6 mounts. Those seem to be pretty quiet when slewing But there is a significantly nasty sound when starting/stopping slewing (I wonder what that sound would be when operating well below -10C). Is that common with EQs and could changing the lubricants/bearings cure it?

No vid found showing CGEM.
There seem to be some threads here discussing over this noise issue which is pretty important to me (neighbor's bedroom less than 30ft away).
I might accept slightly higher slewing noise but start/stop should be free of extra noise.

BR Ben

It's not at all "nasty." "Barely audible" is more like it. If you want "nasty" have a listen to my ETX 125...

--------------------
Uncle Rod

Rod's Latest Book:
Choosing and Using a New CAT
Uncle Rod's Astroblog: http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3149

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics