"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
Chris Nicholl

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Exeter, NH
Oberwerk Deluxe II 20x80s - First Impressions new
      #1145082 - 09/12/06 04:30 PM

I've had a chance to get out twice with these binoculars now, and have been very pleased with them. I bought these used on Astromart.

As far as weight/mounting goes, the combination of my Universal Astronomics T-Mount Light + Bogen 3011 seems to be adequate in most circumstances. The difference between the 15x70s and these 20x80s is significant, though. The 15x70s rode quite well on the T-Mount Light/3011 in just about any configuration of the tripod. With the 20x80s, the combination is rather steady when I'm seated (where the tripod elevator is almost entirely down) or when I'm standing and viewing about 45 degrees or lower (when the elevator is up approximately 4-8 inches). Damping time under those circumstances is an acceptable (to me) 3-4 seconds. This mounting combination becomes much less acceptable when standing and viewing near zenith, when the elevator on the tripod needs to be nearly fully extended. In this case the shakes last 7-9 seconds (although a bit of care can reduce this slightly). I'll wait to see whether I feel the need to upgrade to a 475 - I really like the extreme portability of the 3011.

Optically, these appear much sharper than my Oberwerk 15x70s. This is what I'd hoped to gain from the triplets. Gamma Delphinus was a very pretty split at this magnification, with no noticeable flaring of the stars (one of my biggest complaints of my 15x70s) - very crisp-feeling. I have not made any observations for purposes of chromatic aberration (nor am I all that concerned about it, frankly) so I can't comment. Some of the showpiece objects - the eastern portion of the Veil, NGC 457, the double-cluster, the coathanger, M103, M31 - were very nice in the 20x80s.

These binoculars seem to be somewhat pickier with respect to eye placement than the 15x70s. This is mitigated quite a bit by the very nice feature of the screw-up eyecup, which lets you set the eye relief exactly where you want it (this is such a simple and seemingly inexpensive add-on it makes me wonder why all binos don't have it). However, I notice that even when I have my eye placement set just right, the movement of my eyes when looking well out to the left or right of the FOV produces some blackouts - I didn't recall this with my 15x70s, but will do a side-by-side comparison when I get another chance. I'll have to continue to fiddle with this to see if it keeps happening, and how annoying it is. As it stands now, I consider it a minor disadvantage, and a cost I'm willing to bear to gain some of the other advantages of this binocular.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the jump from the 15x70s to the 20x80s Deluxe II.

--------------------
Orion XT10
William Optics 66mm SD
Denkmeier Std - dual arm PowerSwitch
Oberwerk 20x80 Deluxe IIs on UA TMount Light

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Oberwerk Deluxe II 20x80s - First Impressions new [Re: Chris Nicholl]
      #1145288 - 09/12/06 06:11 PM

Hi Chris,
Here's a hello from Chester, NH. I sold my Obie 15x70s this year and am thinking of moving up to a 20x80 class bino. I'm not excited about a bino mount though. That's what's giving me pause. I found the 15x70s just manageable without a mount.

Rob

--------------------
Rob ... my avatar pic is me ... on a good day!
Canon 12x36 IS binos
Spooner 6.5" f/8.6 dob w/Dobstuff mount
Past Scopes:
Starstructure 14.5", Starmaster 14.5", 10" f/6 Zambuto homemade dob
AP130EDSF, AP130EDT, Traveller, AP152 f/9, 6" AP Christen triplet,FS-102(x2),FC-100,FS-152,TOA-130,TEC-140(x2),TV-101, TV-102,TV-76,TV-85, WO Z80FD, SV105/LZOS, WOLZOS100/800, TEC-6,TEC200/15,MN56,APM130/1200/LZOS,Mewlon180, Jaegers 6" f/15 achro, Palermiti 6" f/15 achro

Chris Nicholl

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Exeter, NH
Re: Oberwerk Deluxe II 20x80s - First Impressions [Re: NHRob]
      #1146056 - 09/13/06 07:18 AM

Quote:

Here's a hello from Chester, NH

Hey, my son's 8th grade football team just played in Chester this past weekend.

Quote:

I'm not excited about a bino mount though. That's what's giving me pause. I found the 15x70s just manageable without a mount.

I tried hand-holding the 15x70s - even using some of the gimmicks like holding them out near the objectives, bracing my elbows on a car or against my chest - but I just found them too jiggly. Sure, I could see things, but I couldn't hold them steady enough to begin to discern any detail, and it got very tiring very quickly.

The bino mount certainly makes it less of a grab-n-go situation, but the increase in viewing comfort and quality more than offsets the minor inconvenience of having to lug a mount out (at least, it does for me).

--------------------
Orion XT10
William Optics 66mm SD
Denkmeier Std - dual arm PowerSwitch
Oberwerk 20x80 Deluxe IIs on UA TMount Light

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2070

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics