"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
Phew

Reged: 11/12/06
Astrophotography equipment for C6-SGT & Canon DSLR new
      #1276586 - 11/30/06 08:06 AM

Hello,

I'm interested in astrophotography with a Celestron C6-SGT coupled to a Canon EOS 350D, and I thought I'd ask the experts for their favorite set-up.

So far I only have the T-ring & T-adapter for prime-focus astrophoto, together with various Canon accessories (TC80N3 timer remote control, right angle finder C).

But what about the rest:
- Piggybacking: Celestron do not offer (yet?) a piggyback bracket for the C6-SGT, as the Celestron piggyback camera mount that's available for larger C8 to C14 optical tubes is apparently not compatible with the accessory holes on the C6. Would you have another piggyback bracket to recommend?
- I'm thinking about the Celestron reducer/corrector f/6.3 too: if you've got some experience of using it, what do you think?
- Same with the Celestron radial off-axis guider to flip between camera & eyepiece?
- Which Barlow lens/adapter do you think give the best performance (Celestron or not)?

And anything else you'd like to suggest will be most welcome!

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03
Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Astrophotography equipment for C6-SGT & Canon DSLR new [Re: Phew]
      #1276674 - 11/30/06 09:25 AM

Hi Phew and welcome to CN!

Quote:

- Piggybacking: Celestron do not offer (yet?) a piggyback bracket for the C6-SGT, as the Celestron piggyback camera mount that's available for larger C8 to C14 optical tubes is apparently not compatible with the accessory holes on the C6. Would you have another piggyback bracket to recommend?

I've got the Celestron piggyback camera adapter mounted to my C6...no problems. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the accessory holes aren't compatible but they line up just fine.

Quote:

- I'm thinking about the Celestron reducer/corrector f/6.3 too: if you've got some experience of using it, what do you think?

If you're planning on using the scope as your lense, then you will want to speed up the focal ratio by using a f/6.3 reducer. Even f/6.3 is kind of slow for a long focal length setup like the C6-SGT given the mount's capability, let along f/10.

Quote:

- Which Barlow lens/adapter do you think give the best performance (Celestron or not)?

Is the barlow for visual use? Either the Celestron Ultima or the Orion Shorty Plus are highly recommended.

Quote:

And anything else you'd like to suggest will be most welcome!

You'll also need a 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle Eyepiece to aid in drift aligning the scope. The reticle eyepiece is also useful in doing the initial goto alignment.

It sounds like you're all set with the Canon EOS 350D and accessories! Go for it!!!

Patrick

--------------------

CPC1100;AT66ED;Denk S1;
EdgeHD C8; C6 SCT
6"f/4.8MN ES Comet Hunter
10"f/6 Newt
Vixen GP2;CGEM Mount
Canon 60D;Lodestar Guider

The Lord sits enthroned above the circle of the earth...He stretched out the heavens like a canopy.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: montana
Re: Astrophotography equipment for C6-SGT & Canon DSLR new [Re: Phew]
      #1277156 - 11/30/06 02:05 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! You are in very capable hands with Patrick, so sit back & enjoy this forum.

Carol

--------------------
Carol

AstroTech 16" Dob (Thanks ASTRONOMICS!)
Vixen 80MF
Masayumas 7.5,15,25W,35
Pentax XW5,10; XL7
TV22Pan
ES30
Paradigm 8,12,18

DreamCatcher Dobservatory

Phew

Reged: 11/12/06
Re: Astrophotography equipment for C6-SGT & Canon new [Re: Patrick]
      #1277186 - 11/30/06 02:26 PM

Hi Patrick and Carol, and thanks very much for the valuable information!

Quote:

I've got the Celestron piggyback camera adapter mounted to my C6...no problems. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the accessory holes aren't compatible but they line up just fine.

Well I asked a local (UK) vendor and they told me that it wouldn't work, and since they didn't have a bracket in stock I couldn't actually try it either.
I also asked the question directly on the Celestron website, and one representative from their technical department told me that the C8-C14 bracket wouldn't fit the C6.
Hence my puzzlement.

Quote:

Is the barlow for visual use? Either the Celestron Ultima or the Orion Shorty Plus are highly recommended.

And for photographic use as well, if possible. So for that the Celestron Ultima would require the use of a thread adapter to the Canon T-ring: would this one (AC457) do?

Quote:

You'll also need a 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle Eyepiece to aid in drift aligning the scope.

Thanks for that, I'll definitely consider it, when the budget allows...

Edited by Phew (11/30/06 02:32 PM)

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06
Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Astrophotography equipment for C6-SGT & Canon [Re: Phew]
      #1277461 - 11/30/06 04:47 PM

I'll second Patrick's comments about the compatibility of the Celestron piggyback camera adapter working just fine on the C6-S. I just went a looked at my C6 and the adapter I have for my C11 bolts onto the C6 just fine.

There are two screws on the top of the rear cell of the C6-S that are the same (distance apart and thread/size) as the larger Celestron SCTs. What the C6-S doesn't have are the matching screws at the front of the scope. So no simple bolt on capability for dovetail plates and such.

This also means that you'll probably want to stay with in-line guiding capabilities (as opposed to using a separate guide scope mounted on the C6-S). Using the SCT threads on the rear of the scope means you'll have a number of options (flip mirror guiders for example), just be aware that some products will mount to the scope using an SCT thread and then present a 2" smooth barrel connection to the camera. Since you already have a T-ring/T-adapter combination for the camera you'll have to just watch out for this.

An area of concern is focal length or more specifically the location where the scope comes to focus. Loading up accessories (focal reducer, motorized focuser, off axis guider, etc.) at the rear of the scope can put the camera too far away to come to focus. I've heard that the Celestron radial off axis guider is quite short and well thought of.

Phew I'm curious about what you ultimately want to do ... lengthening the focal length with a barlow tells me you're interested in solar system shots ... in that case a webcam may be more appropriate than your DSLR. On the other hand looking at the off axis guider and a focal reducer tells me you're interested in getting DSOs. In this case I hope you actually have the ASGT version with the motors, hand controller and GOTO capabilities because you will absolutely have to be able to make tracking changes on any exposure of more than a minute or two. If you have the ASGT version of the scope one thing you'll need to get very good at is accurate polar alignment ... no amount of hardware will compensate for the ability to get a quick and accurate polar alignment.

--------------------
Mark

C11, C6, APM/TMB115, and AT80ED - Pier mounted CGE in a POD, and CG-5A, WO EZ-Touch and AT Voyager
25x100s and 8x56s, T-Mount Light, Mark 1 eyeballs - 350Da, DSI-P, SPC900, NexImage, Mallincam

Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean that you should

Edited by mclewis1 (11/30/06 04:50 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  desertstars, werewolf6977, dgs©, ClownFish 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 515

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics