CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
dominico4
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/06/05
Loc: Winston Salem Area, NC
Vixen ED80Sf Under the tree! Sort of... w/ photos!
      #1322061 - 12/25/06 12:56 PM

Well, I ordered it quite a while ago, and of course, it was to be my X-mas present. My parents took it upon themselves to NOT tell me when it arrived on the 15th and create a nice story of how it's so hard to get things shipped during the holiday season and that since it hadn't arrived yet, it would probably be here the day after x-mas... Well, I had a hunch the last few nights that it was here and they were hiding it, but I went along with it... Clueless of course...

Then, this morning, I opened a card from them saying that it was an IOU for some cash towards the new scope and that... *open the card* it has been waiting for me in the closet since the 15th!

So of course, excited beyond belief, I found it, opened it, and fell in love with it!

Here are some of the first shots of it, and I can't wait to try it out under the stars, but it'll be raining for a while... Ah well, time to wait!

It was definately larger than I expected, and beefier too, but it's perfect for my grab and go and I can't wait to experience the wide field views!

First, the wonderful case it came in!

Next, the case opened! (of course, I had already opened it and cleared out all the packaging)

The tube rings/dovetail bar which are nice and sturdy and easy to slip right on!

The azimuth axis of the portamount, with a rubber cover.

And when that is popped off, magnets are retaining two allen wrenches... Perfect design by the Vixen team!

Not to mention the beautiful label on the portamount, constellations and all!

And then the 1.25" Flip-mirror diagonal... Sadly, it came with no caps but I slipped one on temporarily from my dob, and I'll be looking through my astro group for spares to cover this sucker... I'm planning on selling it though for a 2" standard diagonal instead.

And finally, the scope as a whole... Beautiful!

Can't wait for a first light!!

I've heard from several people that the tripod is a bit flimsy, and at full extension it seems a little weak, but anything less and it seems it should hold out alright as long as I don't overdo it. The slo-mo controls are wonderful since there is no clutch so I can go from slow controls to just pushing it without having to mess with anything.

Merry X-mas to all!!!

--------------------
Josh
Vixen ED80Sf w/ Vixen Portamount
Meade 12" Lightbride Deluxe
My Clear Sky Clock = Winston Salem Area, NC

The current estimate for the number of stars in our galaxy is 100 billion, while the U.S. National Debt is 8 trillion dollars. They used to be called astronomical numbers, but now they should be called economical numbers!

Edited by dominico4 (12/25/06 05:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pollux
artiste

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Burnaby Canada
Re: Vixen ED80Sf Under the tree! Sort of... w/ pho new [Re: dominico4]
      #1322114 - 12/25/06 01:42 PM

I wish my parents could be this generous

Anyway, the very first thing you should get is the Mecury System's compression ring visual back.

Second will be a nice 2" diagonal

Third will be a few Vixen EPs or better yet...Pentax XW!

Forth, get yourself a nice digital SLR and some adaptor

Fifth, get a computer (preferably a Mac ) and do photo retouch

Sixth, get yourself a 6" APO

and so on.....

--------------------
My Web Site

dominico4
professor emeritus

Re: Vixen ED80Sf Under the tree! Sort of... w/ pho new [Re: pollux]
      #1322124 - 12/25/06 01:59 PM

Sadly, my parents weren't THAT generous... I'm paying for a good 3/4 of it... Ah well, it's worth it!

I should look into those!

--------------------
Josh

The current estimate for the number of stars in our galaxy is 100 billion, while the U.S. National Debt is 8 trillion dollars. They used to be called astronomical numbers, but now they should be called economical numbers!

pollux
artiste

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Burnaby Canada
      #1322128 - 12/25/06 02:04 PM

Quote:

Sadly, my parents weren't THAT generous...

Okay, now I feel better

But no matter what...congrats on the scope

That Mercury System's visual back is a must. If you are using heavy diagonal and EPs that really makes a huge difference.

--------------------
My Web Site

dominico4
professor emeritus

Re: Vixen ED80Sf Under the tree! Sort of... w/ pho new [Re: pollux]
      #1322261 - 12/25/06 04:52 PM

I'm definately going to look into all those extras considering I also have a birthday coming up in a month!

Almost forgot this picture! Seeing as everyone likes to take a photo of the business end, here's mine!

--------------------
Josh

dominico4
professor emeritus

#1322264 - 12/25/06 04:56 PM

Well, #1 and #2 look easily possible, but beyond that, only time will tell!

With my birthday, I hope to get a nice white light filter for the new scope, and all extra cash will probably go in to that new visual back and a nice diagonal, unless something better comes along between now and then!

Thanks for all the advice!

--------------------
Josh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  desertstars, Remy Bosio, Jason B, LLEEGE 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 879

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics