#1358934 - 01/13/07 02:28 PM

Carol,

Everything from simple, it's an awesome sketch

--------------------
Rony

'The Casual Sky Observer's Guide.'

My Astronomical Sketches

My Binocular Sketches

Callibrate your Monitor with this little strip.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06
Loc: Illinois
Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon new [Re: Jaycin]
      #1358935 - 01/13/07 02:29 PM

Carol,

Beautiful parsimonious sketch,simple is good and I agree with you about the charcoal, it is too messy to use at the eyepiece. I do like to sketch with it under other circumstances. Your photos are great but your sketches are fabulous.

Dee, Rony, and Jason:

Thank you.

Jason:

The wind would have been a big problem if I was using a larger, taller scope. My 4.25" dob on a platform under low power is very close to the ground so I could wait out the gusts.
Frank

--------------------
My Gallery

Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon new [Re: frank5817]
      #1359057 - 01/13/07 03:40 PM

I'd say the charcoal is all what you're used to. I mainly use charcoal at the EP with no problems at all, as well as a few other sketchers. Also, charcoal is pretty similar to Conte' and pastels. So for all of us that use those two at the EP will do just fine with charcoal as well.

I don't care for graphite.

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

Jaycin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/06
Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon new [Re: Erix]
      #1359437 - 01/13/07 07:18 PM

OK everyone, here is my mini (and I do mean mini) tutorial for my Monthly Target sketch: The Moon

Materials: 6.25" X 8.5" Strathmore "Windpower" Sketch Pad, 0.5mm 2HB Mechanical Pencil, 50mm Finderscope Cap.

Step 1: I traced around the finderscope cap so I had a perfect circle in the center of the paper.

Step 2: I used my lowest power EP (32mm/37X) and studied the Moon for a good 20 minutes before I began sketching (it was great not having to adjust the scope every 1.25 seconds). Then I lightly drew in a line for the Terminator.

Step 3: I drew in all of the detail along the Terminator. I only darkened about a quarter inch into the Terminator, and then started on the craters on the left limb and worked my way to the right.

Step 4: I shaded in the dark areas of the mare and used my eraser to make the rays. That ended my work in the field (I kind of like referring to my driveway as "the field" ).

Step 5: I scanned the sketch into my ancient computing device.

Step 6: I used my equally antiquated MGI Photosuite III to blacken the black areas, smooth the scratchy areas and adjust the brightness and contrast. Then I added the title, info and signature. After that I uploaded it to my file storage and posted it here. Viola! Here's the result:

Hopefully this little lesson on Jason sketching will help someone out. If not, at least you all know how simple my process is. I basically just draw what I see and then digitally add the finishing touches (like black shadows and Terminator).

Clear skies and dry sketch pads!

--------------------
Jason

Zhumell 8" Dobsonian
60mm Meade Telestar

Sketching the Cosmos

Messier countdown: 102 down, 8 to go!

Salem, Oregon

SallyR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/08/06
Loc: England
      #1359452 - 01/13/07 07:28 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

Wonderful tutorials everyone! There is so much good information flying around this forum I think I'll have to start wearing a flack jacket when I login next time

Here's my write-up. I don't have any step-wise photos I'm afraid:

For this early evening naked eye sketch I was sat on a camping stool with a small table at my side with the sketching equipment readily to hand. It was light enough to see what I was doing without a torch for the duration of the sketch. I had the pad of paper on a clip board resting on my lap. The Moon was quite high in the sky (~40 degrees elevation) so it was a case of looking up, then down, then up, then down…..! It was a very calm evening, and there was quite a haze that became more apparent as it became darker. I was initially fooled into thinking it was quite mild, that is, until I’d been sitting still for half an hour and the cold began to bite.

On Daler-Rowney grey-blue ‘Ingres’ paper (12” x 9”), using a white pastel pencil I drew the semi-circle curve of the limb by hand, approx. 4.5 inches in diameter (a bit silly really as I had to tidy up the sketch slightly when I got back indoors to get the curve correct – I was just being too keen to get out there and start drawing at the time as it was the first clear night I’d had for nearly two weeks and I was scared the clouds would roll back in before I had time to complete the sketch!) I then lightly filled in the bulk of the area up to the terminator with a small piece of chalk pastel used on it’s side, but left out the obvious darker mare regions simply as the blue of the paper. (I found it quite helpful to screw up my eyes a bit when looking at the Moon naked eye, as it helped me to see just the light and dark regions whilst taking away the glare that was increasing all the time as the sky was getting darker.)

Using my fingertip I smudged the pastel to get a more even tone, then laid down more pastel to brighten the areas that needed it. I used both a putty rubber and a harder gum eraser to lift out pastel and re-define the mare regions, and again added in a little more pastel for a few brighter regions, this time using the pastel pencil for more precision in placing the smaller marks. It was absolutely freezing by now and I really hadn’t dressed properly and had no gloves on, so it was time to de-camp to the warmth of the house.

Once back inside (and when my hands had thawed out enough to work again!) I tidied up the curve to the correct shape by erasing a small amount of pastel from the top and bottom of the lunar disc, then brightened the curve of the limb with another layer of pastel pencil. I rubbed a small amount of orange pastel directly onto my fingertip then laid this down and smudged the colour very lightly all around the lunar image. Finally I rubbed a small amount of white chalk pastel directly onto my fingertip and applied this over the orange, again smudging with my fingertip to get the desired final colour for the haze.

I blew excess pastel powder off the sketch as I went (thankfully I didn’t spit on it!), and finished off with a light spray of fixative.

And that's it!

Attachment

--------------------
Sally

My CN Gallery

frank5817
Postmaster

#1359464 - 01/13/07 07:33 PM

Erika,

My hat is off to you. The pastel pencils are not too bad they have the look and feel of charcoal but those soft velvety charcoals give me problems, in no time I have charcoal dust and crumbs all over everything. I may have given up too easily. I actually like the darker flat look of charcoal over the shiny look of graphite. I have not been able to get charcoal into my comfort zone at the eyepiece of a scope. Maybe I should try a different brand of graphite drawing pencil.

Frank

--------------------
My Gallery

frank5817
Postmaster

#1359549 - 01/13/07 08:34 PM

Jason,
Beautiful, crisp sketch. Your technique is so cool.

Sally,
Wonderful naked eye sketch and in color too! Awesome.

Frank

--------------------
My Gallery

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Jacumba, California
      #1359761 - 01/13/07 10:32 PM

Wow, what a cool thread this has turned out to be! A veritable goldmine of different techniques and approaches.
Wonderful sketches and mini tutorials Carol, Jason, and Sally! It's all about helping others develop a understanding of the many ways there are of creating these sketches. Providing detailed information that can be useful to others requires that we dig deeper into the process ourselves, and this is a benefit to ourselves as well as the folks we are attempting to help. Sketching is about a process of learning and good sketchers are always involved in this process of education. Yes, we learn by doing, but we also learn by reading or looking at how others do something and incorporating that technique into our own personal media "toolkit". I cannot tell you how many times I've been helped with questions on technique from the many active participants on this wonderful forum. Most of the time it is not even me asking the question, someone else will bring up a problem they are having with this or that object or medium and I'll just happen to have the same question.

From my point of view there is nothing trivial about astronomical sketching. Even the simplest sketch is complex if you have never put a pencil to the paper. This forum was created from a desire to help reduce the difficulties for novice sketchers and to offer a supportive, friendly place to review drawings and to discuss all avenues of the subject. Sadly when some people believe they have made it to the top, they no longer feel they need to share their experience and skills with those who are still learning the basics. And unfortunately we all suffer the loss of that knowledge when such an attitude is adopted. Luckily we have a place like CN where everyone's sketches are received warmly regardlesss of the place where each sketcher begins!

I've never seen the likes of some of CN's newer sketchers. A worldwide ensemble of some of the finest sketching I've ever seen!

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon new [Re: kraterkid]
      #1361957 - 01/14/07 11:01 PM

Thanks everyone!
Sorry my 'how-to' was so brief, but that's me.

Jason, since my sketches are made to accompany observing reports, I prefer to place them in the appropriate observing forums. Haven't been able to do any in a while because of the clouds/cold, but hopefully we'll have an early spring.

--------------------
Carol Lakomiak, Tomahawk WI
Writing Sky at Night magazine's astrosketch page since June 2009
Moon Sketch Tutorial
Sun/DSO Sketch Tutorial
CN Gallery
Photo Gallery

Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon new [Re: Carol L]
      #1362072 - 01/15/07 12:27 AM

Jason and Sally, thank you for your great tutorials to this thread.

Everyone is so generous with sharing their techniques and it's very much appreciated by all.

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

Jaycin
Carpal Tunnel

#1363661 - 01/15/07 08:50 PM

You're welcome Erika! And thank you!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your sketches and techniques!

--------------------
Jason

Zhumell 8" Dobsonian
60mm Meade Telestar

Sketching the Cosmos

Salem, Oregon

andyenglish
sage

Reged: 10/24/06
Loc: Albu(r)querque, NM
      #1382781 - 01/25/07 02:21 PM Attachment (58 downloads)

This has been an outstanding experience all around! (See my other post: "WOWIE-ZOWIE!!" in this forum.) Thanks, Erix, for the challenge. Doing the Moon in its entirety requires a little bit of speed and discernment. Which details are more important? Here's my contribution:

1. Set up the scope in the afternoon. Predrew the lunar limb with a dinner glass. Also added the phase with a dinner plate. (Each phase requires different kitchen ware combinations.)
2. A half hour later, the scope's cooled enough to begin preliminary sketching. I sit on a padded drummer's throne set way high up. The sketch pad is directly under the refractor's diagonal on a wooden TV tray. Keeping the pad directly under the eyepiece allows me to switch back and forth really quickly between the e/p and the sketch.
3. Began by adding impressions of large structures. Mostly shading and overlapping circles where the larger craters are. As the sky darkens, I can begin darkening the shady side of the Moon also, refining the edges of the Moon's limb.
4. By the time the Sun has set, I've still got enough dusk to add some larger detail before it's time to turn on the red light and start adding the smaller details that are beginning to appear.
5. Sketching by flashlight is a bit of a chore, so about a half hour later, I pack it up inside and finish the limb darkening and shading refinements inside, where I can see. (I prefer sunspot drawing: plenty of light! and warmth!)
6. I use several graphite pencils, prefering to sketch with HB. The 6B is really nice and dark for the background sky. The F is handy for fine, faint lines that I may erase later. Also, I use a gum eraser and a horsehair paintbrush (1.5") for the residue. Finished with acrylic fixitive.

Details:
The Moon: January 23, 2007 - 0900-1100UT
Albuquerque, NM: 35ish x -106ish
Orion Astroview 100mm f/6 achromat with 25mm Plossl.
V-block filter used for contrast until dusk.
North is up and East is left.

Attachment

--------------------
When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—the moon and the stars you have set in place—what are mortals that you should think of us, mere humans that you should care for us? -Psalm 8:3-4 (NLT)
http://nm-spaceman.tripod.com/floating_pencils

100mm EQ f/6 achromat refractor, 7×20 7.1° binoculars.

andyenglish
sage

Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon new [Re: andyenglish]
      #1382872 - 01/25/07 03:11 PM

By the way, this was my first attempt. I will definitely be working on the Moon a lot. What a daunting subject the Moon has been.

--------------------
When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—the moon and the stars you have set in place—what are mortals that you should think of us, mere humans that you should care for us? -Psalm 8:3-4 (NLT)

SGT500
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/03/06
Loc: Sarasota, Florida
      #1383001 - 01/25/07 04:19 PM

Great sketch!

--------------------
-Sal
AstroTech Ritchey Chretien 8"
Williams Optics Zenithstar 80
Orion Atlas Eq-G
SBIG St-8300M
Fw5-8300 w/Astrodon 36mm LRGB & Ha Filters
Hap Griffin Modified Canon Eos Xs (1000D)

www.SgAstrophotography.com

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Jacumba, California
Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon new [Re: SGT500]
      #1383670 - 01/25/07 10:36 PM

Wonderful sketch Andy! You've done a remarkable job catching the Earthshine and the details on the crescent. I like the way you handled the dark background, leaving the raw strokes in place. BTW, who knew dinnerware would have a prominent place in astronomical sketching?

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

andyenglish
sage

Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon new [Re: kraterkid]
      #1384428 - 01/26/07 10:36 AM

Thanks for your kind words. Weather permitting, I will definitely be back out there this afternoon. I'd really like to try and get a more refined sketch...

--------------------

Jaycin
Carpal Tunnel

#1385520 - 01/26/07 07:53 PM

Great sketch Andy!

It looks like you and I have a similar technique. I look forward to your next Lunar offering!

--------------------
Jason

Zhumell 8" Dobsonian
60mm Meade Telestar

Sketching the Cosmos

Salem, Oregon

frank5817
Postmaster

#1385996 - 01/27/07 01:30 AM

Andy,
Very nice crescent moon sketch. I think I see craters Piccolomini and Fracastorius on the terminator of your sketch. Nice work.
Frank

--------------------
My Gallery

andyenglish
sage

#1387097 - 01/27/07 04:49 PM

Thanks y'all. Jason, I've enjoyed your lunar sketching also.
-Andy

--------------------

Dee
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/06
Loc: Ireland
Re: New Monthly Target - The Moon [Re: Jaycin]
      #1390426 - 01/29/07 06:09 AM Attachment (60 downloads)

Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known. Oscar Wilde

I have sketched, drawn, painted and doodled for most of my life, with several gaps
(called having a family) I have had a love affair with the night sky for as long as I can remember. It is only in the last two years that I have combined these two interests
This came about by the example and encouragement of a dear friend. She introduced me to the absorbing passion of astronomical sketching. This activity as given me an outrageous amount of pleasure and learning and continues to do so. This forum has also by example and encouragement further fuelled my interests and efforts in this ancient and unique pursuit.

I have discovered that to achieve a good sketch, you have to want it. You have to look at what you want in a way to observe it and absorb it. You must take a mental note of your target; this is the kind of thing I ask myself when I look at the moon for a sketch.

1. Where is the light coming from?
2. What kind of grey tones are on view?
3. Where are the dark areas and what shapes are they?
4. What is interesting and how will I achieve it?
5. Is there a bright area and how will I do it?
6. Where is the lunar drama tonight?

I have not done a whole moon sketch yet, but am working up to it. The nearest I came was with my EXT 70 in this pencil sequence below from December 6th, 10th and 12th 2005.

Attachment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4471

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics