CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
unistar81

Reged: 01/24/07
Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20x110
      #1380850 - 01/24/07 02:55 PM

Hello guys,
I am looking to buy a nice set of binoculars for distance vieweing observing and also for astronomical observing. I nailed it down to this 3 choices:

1. Kowa Highlander Flourite 32x82
2. Miyauchi 26x100 "Galaxy" Bj-iCE APO Binocular
3. Garrett Optical 20x110 HD-WP and 28x110 HD-WP Signature Series Binoculars

I read that Kowa's are realy good binos but they are 82mm does that mean that the image wont be as bright in them as it will be on the Garrett 110mm?

Can anybody help me make a choice with which to go?

I think that to me resolution and detail is more important then colour accuracy...

Thank you!
Oleg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
camvan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/02/05
Loc: British Columbia
Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: unistar81]
      #1380932 - 01/24/07 03:39 PM

for the money you're ready to invest, have you thought about a binoscope? the 110's will definitely let more 'light' in, but optics that are higher quality but smaller can beat more aperture due to coatings letting a higher % of light through. I would expect the Apo and FL model's to work better and in day time viewing, the Apo will be very handy due to better color correction (less flare, halo etc).

I'm envious

--------------------
Cameron

"Aperture can only be replaced by even more aperture. Dark transparent skies cannot be replaced by anything else." - Stathis Kafalis

Intes MN66
Meade SN8
handfull of cheap ep's

Erik D
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/03
Loc: Central New Jersey, USA
      #1380945 - 01/24/07 03:46 PM

Oleg,

Welcome to the CN Binoculars Forum.

You are in an enviable position of been able to make your selection from among the top 80-110mm binoculars made today. However, it's not that easy to make a recommendation. You are asking us to help you select binoculars priced from under $600 USD to over $4500, of vastly different configuration and design objective.

1. The $600 GO 28X110 will offer you the biggest aperature for your money but have straight thru, fixed power EPs. WaterProof.

2. The $3,500 Miyauchi more comfortable 45 deg interchangable EPs, semi-APO 100 mm objectives. Resonable price for a pair of optional higher power EPs. Not waterproof.

3. The most epxensive $4,550 Kowa Highlander FL has the best quality optics. 45 deg EPs. Is waterproof and very expensive optional EPs!

Really depends why you want a pair of giant binos and how do you plan to use them.

If you plan to use your binos for long range terrertrial views and some astromony, and can live with 28X Straight thru EPs you may be very happy with a pair of GO 28X110s.

If you want the Leica/Swarovski of giant binoculars you should go for the 82mm Kowa Highlander FL. The only thing better will be a pair of 88mm Highlander Ultras. ...You can still order the GO 110 because they cost less than the price of a pair of optional EPs for the Kowa. )

Don't forget to look up the thread asking for advice between the 82mm Kowa FL and the 100mm Miyauchi Saturn III. Saturn IIIs can be fitted with 150X EPs.

Budget another ~$750 for the Manfrotto 516 fluid head and a 028 Triman/3246 tripod. You'll need the 516 fluid head($525)for any of the 13-16 lb binos you select. You'll need the extra tall 3246 tripod for the extra long GO 110 binocular.

Erik D

unistar81

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: camvan]
      #1380959 - 01/24/07 03:51 PM

where can I see some info on the binoscope ?

THANKS!

camvan
Carpal Tunnel

#1380968 - 01/24/07 03:55 PM

look at www.bigbinoculars.com and www.garrettoptical.com

at Garett, you should see a binoscope listing, which shows you Zach's 80 and 100mm model's (these take your standard 1.25" EP's) and at bigbino's, look at the 'expensive' stuff

how much are you willing to spend on this? having a price and knowing how much play you have with it will help us give you some pointers to consider

--------------------
Cameron

"Aperture can only be replaced by even more aperture. Dark transparent skies cannot be replaced by anything else." - Stathis Kafalis

Intes MN66
Meade SN8
handfull of cheap ep's

Erik D
Post Laureate

#1380979 - 01/24/07 04:02 PM

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/100bt45.htm

Erik D

unistar81

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: Erik D]
      #1380991 - 01/24/07 04:07 PM

Thanks, yeah those look huge! =) I want a set that I can use from inside of my house at times. Well to me quality is more of a consern then the price (to an extent of course). The Kowas are the most I can probably afford to pay for. Was just concerned that the lenses are 82mm and the Miyauchi are 100mm and somewhat cheaper with the apo lens...

unistar81

#1380998 - 01/24/07 04:12 PM

BTW I do own a Steiner 7x50 Commander V HD optics
http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoculars/marine/392.html
and the Fujinon Techno-Stabi 14x40
http://www.fujinonbinocular.com/cgi-bin/prod/list?p=71

Erik D
Post Laureate

#1381012 - 01/24/07 04:19 PM

Oleg,

Do you or your friend have a collection of Astronomy Magazine going back to May 2003? If so, you can look up a comparison of the Kowa 82mm FL, Miyauchi 100mm APO and a Oberwerk 25/40X100 by Phil Harrington.

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?id=398&c=i

The Kowa FL was ranked slightly ahead of the Miyauchi 1/2 APO. The Kowa Higlander is made by joining a pair of Very High qualtiy Flourite Spottiing scopes. It will have less false color in day time viewing, and focus closer than the Miyauchi 100mm. The Oberwerk was a "best buy". You can expect better performance from the newer Oberwerk BT 100 45 if you use high quality 1.25 inch telescope EPs.

Erik D

unistar81

#1381037 - 01/24/07 04:39 PM

Nope can't get that magazine, but you basically summarized it. Thanks!

Mike Rapchak
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/17/06
Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20x110 new [Re: unistar81]
      #1381090 - 01/24/07 05:12 PM

Hello, Oleg!

I am going to throw in my vote with the others who recommened the Oberwerk/Garrett BT/GT100 binoscope. From all that I've read and heard, these are wonderful instruments - especially for the price.

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/100bt45.htm

Mike Rapchak Jr.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
      #1381098 - 01/24/07 05:18 PM

Oleg ,

Welcome to the forum !

I'm not going to even try to sway your thoughts either way from the three models on your shortlist , but one thing about your STATED INTENDED USAGE acted as a kind of catalyst to mention something I've been thinking about for a while .

I hope that yourself and any other reader will forgive me for diversifying from the original , central query .

You probably won't " know me from Adam " , so let me explain that although I've spent an outlandish amount of time over the past five years or so reading and writing to astronomy related forums , around 90% of my time spent looking through binoculars and spotting scopes is NOT carried out during the sunset hours .

I've been fascinated by LONG RANGE TERRESTRIAL VIEWING through binoculars and scopes for well over 40 years now .

I currently use a Zeiss 85mm diascope with a 20 - 60x zoom lens and a variety of good to excellent quality binoculars ranging from 7x to 15x in magnification , ALL preferably tripod MOUNTED .

Having binoculars mounted not only provides rock steady views , which increase and improve what I can SEE compared with hand - holding binoculars , but probably even MORE importantly , it completely FREES UP my hands and arms with which to do whatever I please , which certainly includes keeping arms vertical , a position in which they tend NOT to tire or ache , making notes , keeping hands in warm pockets on very cold days and holding maps to consult whilst viewing .

All this may seem like a wander too far from the question I'm supposed to be answering , but the point is this :

Until relatively recently , I've always thought that the MAIN reason I prefer looking through binoculars to looking through scopes was because , as my long standing signature line has proclaimed , I simply prefer to use BOTH EYES when viewing .

And I still do !

BUT -- what I'm finally beginning to realise , is that for MOST of MY type of terrestrial viewing , any TRUE field of view of less than around 5 degrees ALWAYS leaves something to be desired .

Another thing I've realised is that on more than half of the HUNDREDS of occasions on which I've looked through binoculars and / or scopes in the daytime , heat haze or mirage caused by evapouration have rendered magnifications of above around 15x all but self - defeating .

Until recently , I've been unable to compare views through my Diascope at FIXED magnifications , with views through the zoom lens , and perhaps the biggest surprise of my conclusions after doing so is that I must have become so used to using the ZOOM feature that I've found all the fixed eyepieces I've tried so INFLEXIBLE by comparison as to be almost " boring " .

When I get frustrated by the either the lack of field of view or excessive " mirage effect " when looking through , for example a 10mm e.p yielding 50x magnification , I'm finding it equally frustrating , burdensome and fiddly , having to start unscrewing eyepiece adaptor retainers , carefully put the e.p away in it's container , open up another , screw in the adaptor , screw the retaining collar into the e.p holder , then re - focus .

Even when I AM using the zoom lens in VERY GOOD , CLEAR seeing conditions , I've found that I probably spend around 75% of that time with the zoom set at it's MINIMUM magnification , approximately half again of which I find myself WISHING the zoom would REDUCE to a magnification of around 10x and ENLARGE the FIELD OF VIEW accordingly , up to at least 5 degrees .

Now for night time star gazing ( I always feel rather guilty using the word ASTRONOMY ! ), I'm increasingly finding myself questioning why anyone would wish to spend
sums in excess of $5000 US for views limited to magnifications below what I can use in my 85mm scope .

I actually ENJOY sitting or lying on my back , casually taking in RELAXING views of our galaxy through lower magnification binoculars , but when I look at what can be seen at 60x magnification through my scope , it's a wholly different scenario to ME .

All that does is make me want to see what I can see at 100x , 150x , 200x , 250x and above .

Given my preference for using TWO EYES , and my ( admittedly limited ) knowledge of traditional binoculars and how they work , if it were ME with several thousand dollars to spend on TWO EYED ASTRONOMY instruments , I am currently of the opinion that my money would be better spent on a DEDICATED astronomy telescope and the highest quality BINOVIEWER and HIGHER POWER eyepieces I could afford . ?

Irridational , or irrational ?

Clear skies ,

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04
Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: KennyJ]
      #1381415 - 01/24/07 07:46 PM

look also at the size and weight of each binocular AND mount, which is more portable, easly broken down for moving and more suitable for your use

for value and aperature, clearly the GO wins
for quality of optics the Kowa is better than the Miyauchi, both are better than the GO

the miyauchi with extra eps and mount will be $4k, the Kowa with both extra eps $5-6k

you do not say anything about your level of experience with binoculars and astronomy. if you are fairly new at this game, I would suggest the GO as a start, then moveup at some point to the more expensive binoculars depending on your interest i started with 10x70s, loved them, went up to the 20/26/37x100 miyauchis, loved them, and finally got the 25x150 fujis; but I am the exception-most would rather go to a large telescope

edj

--------------------

CESDewar
GorillAstronomer

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Blue Ridge, GA, USA
      #1382026 - 01/25/07 03:15 AM

Quote:

Budget another ~$750 for the Manfrotto 516 fluid head and a 028 Triman/3246 tripod. You'll need the 516 fluid head($525)for any of the 13-16 lb binos you select.

I've been observing now for over a year with my Saturn III's on a 503 head/475 tripod, and the 503 head easily handles the 13 lb S3's. I can move from horizontal to the Zenith without any slippage of any kind, so I'm not sure you have to spring for the 516's at the 13lb range (which is where the Miyauchi and Kowas fall, and they are significantly shorter than the S3's). The Garrett's are 16lbs, so heavier, but it would not be a stability issue per se as the magnification is not that high - the question is whether the spring is strong enough to counterbalance the heavier weight, and that would likely be an issue. The 475 tripod itself is rated up to 26.5 lbs., and the 503 head is typically rated a bit over 13lbs, but pushed to the limit, it is still completely stable - so I only think you'd need to consider the 516 for the Garrett's. Another issue with the Garrett's is the straight-through viewing - it would need a tripod that was quite a bit taller to handle viewing near the Zenith.

Personally, I find 45 so compelling that I would only consider the Garrett's on a P-mount as craning one's neck to look near the Zenith gets old rather fast (a chair that leans all the way back under a p-mount goes a long way towards minimizing that problem).

Between the Kowa's and the Miyauchi's, it makes a big difference if extra EP's are needed as the Kowa EP's run $1,000 for a pair, vs. less than $300/pair for the Miyauchi's.

So the Garrett's will have the edge in light-gathering power, but lose in quality of optics, higher weight, no optional EP's and straight-through viewing.

The Miyauchi's have the edge in having optional 37x EP's at a low price and ability to include a good finder-scope (which is quite useful when you get up to 25x and above), but only offer magnifications of 26x and 37x.

Then the Kowa's have the edge in having the best optical quality, but least light-gathering power, and have EP's at 21x 32x and 50x, but at a very high price.

Of course, there is a huge variation here in price. Buy a Kowa and the two pairs of optional EP's and you are at $6,500 - some ten times the Garrett's. Are they ten times better? Obviously not.

You say that "resolution and Detail" are most important to you, but how about cost?

If price is not really an object here, I might well opt for the Kowa's. They will provide the sharpest view and have the magnfication edge with 50x. The excellent contrast will mitigate the issue of light loss to some extent, and the higher magnfication will allow one to see fainter stars as well.

But if you are seriously considering a pair of binoculars that is one tenth the price, unless price is really not an issue, you have to agree that the Garrett's are the best "value" here with your options.

And then it's worth considering that for the price of the Kowa's, you can get the Miyauchi's, the extra pair of EP's and the Garett's as well - on that basis, the Kowa's definitely have more competition as you would have the Garrett's for astronomical observing and be able to benefit from the greater light grasp.

And if the idea of having different magnifications is appealing, consider that both Kowa and Miyauchi have proprietary EP's which limits choices and makes them expensive. A binocular such as the Oberwerk BT-100-45 is a lot heavier than the Kowa/Miyauchi (actually twice the weight), but takes standard 1.25" EP's and thus opens up a really wide range of choices. But hefting 26 lbs vs. 13 lbs. would be enough to dissuade me from that.

If I had to choose, and price is not a non-issue? I would pick the Miyauchi's with the optional 37x EP's largely because my experience with the Saturn III's has been so positive, and because I would be hard-pressed to justify the extra cost of the Kowa's. And if the difference could be spent, I'd spent it on a pair of 15x50 Image stabilized Canon binos, for wider-field, handheld astronomical viewing.

I often say this: the question is not whether it's worth spending $X more on one piece of equipment over another - the question is: is this the best way to spend an extra $X? The Kowa's are a thousand dollars more than the Miyauchi's (more if you add optional EP's) - are there better ways of spending that $1,000 than purchasing a pair of binoculars that are optically better, but whose optical edge is probably overcome anyway by the larger aperture.

Edz has often commented on this forum that even a pretty mediocre pair of 25x100mm Binoculars will provide more detailed views and more "ooomph" than quality 20x80's and ultra-premium 15x50's.

Ooops, time to stop ramblin'......

--------------------

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: CESDewar]
      #1382144 - 01/25/07 06:31 AM

DESDewar,

Have you had the chance to compare your Saturn IIIs to the Miyauchi 26x100? I wonder how much difference.

edj

--------------------

Silvio

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: Gilbert, Arizona.
Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: edwincjones]
      #1382495 - 01/25/07 11:17 AM

Oleg, allow me to share the thought process that I went through to arrive at my recent decision to purchase the Kowa 32x82 Highlander.

I am the owner of an 80mm Binocular Telescope (BT) which gives adequate performance but the image quality does not match what I get from my 6" Takahashi APO nor what I get from my Canon 12x36 IS nor from my TMB 115 APO. Image quality is paramount to me, and since my primary targets would be Sun Moon, planets and double stars I decided to go for an instrument with the best quality possible.

I once owned the Miyauchi 100mm but I sold them because I had them mounted on a HEAVY mount & tripod. I never used them much because of the bulk of the entire set-up, but I did learn a valuable lesson from this - compactness and ease of set-up was important to me.

I also recently owned the 22x60 Takahashi binoculars - these provided the best binocular images that I have ever seen but the straight-through viewing configuration made viewing literally a pain in the neck. For me, it really detracted from the viewing experience. So I need a 45 degree viewing angle. I sold the Takahashi.

The Saturn III was a serious contender, but I eventually discounted that as on option for two reasons - it is an achromat susceptible to colour fringing at high powers, and it a very bulky instrument (not heavy, but bulky). I also wanted something with better perfomance at high power on Moon, planets, double stars & the Sun. Had my targets been deep sky where false colour is not an issue and where light grasp is important, then I may well have bought them.

I use a binoviewer on my 6" Takahashi - wonderful views, but there are a few issues with this set-up. Firstly, the set-up time is more than I like, and the minimum magnification that I can get just over 100x. I could go lower by removing the OCS but the drop in the focal ratio from f/22 to f/8 produces a significant decrease in image quality.

So where did that leave me? Right to the Kowa's! All the reviews I've read of them and all the correspondence I've had with owners of them say the same thing - there is just not a better quality binocular on the market with the attributes of top notch quality, compactness and 45 degree viewing angle. There are two downsides to them - firstly they are EXPENSIVE. But I have never regretted spending top dollar on anything both in my hobby and outside my hobby - it hurts only once, when I write the check, but for evermore after that the pleasure is very high! The other downside is the cost of extra eyepieces but I'm working on this!! Kowa told me that users have found a way to use standard eyepieces and I'm contacting a previous owner who has modified a pair of Nagler 4.8mm eyepieces to yield around 90x that he says delivers great views.

I hope that I have not rambled on too much..........

Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector
Kowa 32x82 Highlander Fluorite Binoculars
Canon 18x50 IS Binoculars
Canon 12x36 IS Binoculars
Tasco 7x35 Widefield Binoculars

unistar81

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: Silvio]
      #1382577 - 01/25/07 12:11 PM

Thank you Silvie that was a great post with lots of good info! I also never regreted spending top dollar on a quality equipment. I would like to know as soon as you find out how to get the Nagler eyepices on the Kowas. I am wondering why are Kowa's eye pieces so expensive (well as opposed to quality I am thinking they are also charing mostly for the brand name?) I've seen their tripod for Kowas which is aroung $1000 as well. Which tripod and head do you use on your Kowas?

Oleg

unistar81

#1382583 - 01/25/07 12:13 PM

Thanks!

unistar81

#1382585 - 01/25/07 12:13 PM

Quote:

look also at the size and weight of each binocular AND mount, which is more portable, easly broken down for moving and more suitable for your use

for value and aperature, clearly the GO wins
for quality of optics the Kowa is better than the Miyauchi, both are better than the GO

the miyauchi with extra eps and mount will be $4k, the Kowa with both extra eps $5-6k

you do not say anything about your level of experience with binoculars and astronomy. if you are fairly new at this game, I would suggest the GO as a start, then moveup at some point to the more expensive binoculars depending on your interest i started with 10x70s, loved them, went up to the 20/26/37x100 miyauchis, loved them, and finally got the 25x150 fujis; but I am the exception-most would rather go to a large telescope

edj

Thanks!

unistar81

#1382618 - 01/25/07 12:31 PM

Quote:

Edz has often commented on this forum that even a pretty mediocre pair of 25x100mm Binoculars will provide more detailed views and more "ooomph" than quality 20x80's and ultra-premium 15x50's.

CESDewar thanks for the post!

So the GO's 110mm will give more detail then the Kowas' 82mm? I've heard that 80mm quality optics can outperform the 100mm cheaper quality optics..... (therefore placeing the Kowas' in front) confused...

Erik D
Post Laureate

#1382736 - 01/25/07 01:46 PM

Oleg,

I know of 3-4 members of CN who own the Kowa 82 mm FL. All of them are using the the Bogen 516 fluid head with 16.5 lb counter balance spring. Here is a review:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1120

Milt Wilcox is a regular member of CN, so is Rich N. You could send them PMs if you have more questions.

As CES mentioned, you could probably use the less expensive, more compact 503 fluid head. There is a bit of confusion about the wt rating of the 503 head. Bogen Imagining web site lists it as 13.2 lbs. Manfrotto web site show 8 kg/17.6 lbs. The 503 head is very similar to the less expensive 501 head but has 2.5 kg counter balance spring. I think you will do fine with the Kowa and 503 head. I HIGHLY recommend getting the optional 2nd pan handle and at least one addtional Quick Release Dovetail Plate. 503 Fluid Head

I have a copy of Astromy magazine May 2003 I can fax you a copy of the article if you like.

The GO Signature Series is probably the best among the Chinese giant binoculars today. Optical quality is superior to mid priced Japanese 100mm binos costing $1k a few years ago. If I didn't have two 100mm binos already I would not hesitate to buy the GO 28X110 today. The key consideration is how comfortable are you observing objects near zenith. I am fine up to with straight EPs up to 75-80 deg up, don't spend a lot of time viewing objects above that. However, there is no question 45 deg EPs are more comfortable.

I thought about the BT 100 45 deg for quite a while. Never did go ahead with the purchase because of the bulk and 26 lb+ wt. I have a 6 inch APO with 29 lb OTA. Used it about 3 times last year. I can go out the door with a pair of 13 lb bino in one hand, my bogen 3246 tripod and 516 head in the other. Slide my bino with QR plate on the mount and I am observing under 60 sec. Can't do that with a BT 100.

I went thru the same analysis as CESD. For me it's not just an issue of $$$$s. It's what's best for MY viewing preference. I can afford $13K for the Miyauchii BR 141 but I would like to reach higher than 45 X..... I like the Kowa FL but would want more than 82mm objectives and 50X for my $6K. I don't want to deal with 40 lb+ OTA of the Fuji 150mm and be limited to 25X so I wont get one even if it's 1/2 the price of the BR-141. Your wants & needs will be different.

The Kowa is a better choice if you want to use it 50% of the time as a spotting scope. Nearly no false color at all and useable near focus. The 100mm and bigger Miyauchis are optimized or astronomy with infinity focus. The Saturn IIIs will show false color in day time viewing but not an issue unless you are looking at Sirrius or Vega. Close focus is over 100 yards. Purple fringing is obvious in the day time at 54X. However, it has a big advantage in price. You can get the Miyauchi S3 with optional 54X EP for under $3K. I would NOT advise getting the Miyauchi S3 if you intend on doing a lot of day time viewing.

Erik D

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05
Loc: 51N 4E
      #1382771 - 01/25/07 02:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

CESDewar thanks for the post!

So the GO's 110mm will give more detail then the Kowas' 82mm? I've heard that 80mm quality optics can outperform the 100mm cheaper quality optics..... (therefore placeing the Kowas' in front) confused...

There's a difference between showing more stars, which I think the 110 mm will likely do, and showing more detail i.e. better resolution, which I think the Kowa will do best - it's got optical quality and higher magnification on its side.

--------------------
Mark
Leica 8x20; Nikon 7x35; Vixen 8x42; Orion 15x63; Docter 15x60
WO Megrez II 80 FD / APM 107mm f/6.5 / Mewlon 210 on DM-6 + Berlebach Planet

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02
Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: Mark9473]
      #1382821 - 01/25/07 02:43 PM

Quote:

There's a difference between showing more stars, which I think the 110 mm will likely do, and showing more detail i.e. better resolution, which I think the Kowa will do best - it's got optical quality and higher magnification on its side.

Well, I agree a little bit. BUT

a 110mm binocular has 80% greater light gathering power than a 82mm binocular. And the signature series is no slouch as far as quality goes, contrast is right up there. That much greater LG power is so much more brute force and coupled with a fairly high quality, when it comes to faint extended objects the 110s could make childs play out of an 82mm.

edz

--------------------
Teach a kid something today. The feeling you'll get is one of life's greatest rewards.
member#21

Silvio

#1382834 - 01/25/07 02:51 PM

Oleg,

I use a Quickset Hercules tripod ($2,000 new; $600 used) and a Giro 2 mount. Very easy to set up and wonderfully smooth even with the 35 pound weight of my 6" TAK/Binoviewer combo and 20 pounds of counterweights. This is overkill for my binoculars and for the TMB 115, but it is a 'one thing for everything' set up.

I used to have a Takahashi EM200 mount, but that was expensive, heavy and cumbersome; also, it occasionally required maintenance, and that was also expensive. I'm an addicted alt/az guy, even at 180x !!!

Best regards,
Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Silvio

#1382835 - 01/25/07 02:51 PM

Oleg,

I use a Quickset Hercules tripod ($2,000 new; $600 used) and a Giro 2 mount. Very easy to set up and wonderfully smooth even with the 35 pound weight of my 6" TAK/Binoviewer combo and 20 pounds of counterweights. This is overkill for my binoculars and for the TMB 115, but it is a 'one thing for everything' set up.

I used to have a Takahashi EM200 mount, but that was expensive, heavy and cumbersome; also, it occasionally required maintenance, and that was also expensive. I'm an addicted alt/az guy, even at 180x !!!

Best regards,
Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Erik D
Post Laureate

#1382858 - 01/25/07 03:02 PM

Quote:

Oleg,

I use a Quickset Hercules tripod ($2,000 new; $600 used) and a Giro 2 mount. Very easy to set up and wonderfully smooth even with the 35 pound weight of my 6" TAK/.

..... I'm an addicted alt/az guy, even at 180x !!!

Best regards,
Silvio.

Me too. I used my Giro 2 DX/QuickSet Hercules and 6inch F8 APO with 8-24mm TV zoom and 2X barlow. That's 100-300X and I can track the planests easily. Often times seeing the the limitation not the mount.

I prefer to use a lighter 9.5 lb Bogen 3246 tripod instead of the 23 lb Hercules tripod with binoculars up to 13 lbs though. I have a 2nd Herculse tripod waiting for a BT 120mm 45 deg and my retirement. ;-))

Erik D

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: EdZ]
      #1382947 - 01/25/07 03:55 PM

EdZ, I thought that's what I was saying, i.e. the 110 mm will go deeper. But don't you think the Kowa will show slightly higher resolution?

--------------------
Mark

CESDewar
GorillAstronomer

#1383958 - 01/26/07 02:29 AM

Quote:

Have you had the chance to compare your Saturn IIIs to the Miyauchi 26x100? I wonder how much difference.

No, I haven't and I would certainly like to do that. Although the 26x100 use APO objectives, the much shorter FL would negate some of that benefit. I liked the Longer FL of the Saturn III's as I knew for any given magnification it would use longer FL EP's with more eye relief.

It is indeed a problem that few of us ever get to really do a side-by-side comparison of comparable equipment (not surprisingly!)....

--------------------

CESDewar
GorillAstronomer

#1383987 - 01/26/07 03:08 AM

Quote:

A definitive answer to that would really require these two scopes set up side-by-side...anything else is really speculation (although it can be intelligent speculation). The Kowa has superior optics and will thus perform as well as any 80mm binocular can. The 110mm's from all accounts are good, but not in the same league as the Kowa's, so the difference is not going to be as great as the pure aperture comparison would indicate.

THEN - keep in mind that even average binoculars can have GOOD center sharpness - optical quality is most noticed in the sharpness that is maintained near the edge. So I would expect that if you just look at the center 20 of the FOV, the 110's will show more detail, but as you move away from the center, any gain will likely disappear and in fact the Kowa's may well move ahead of the 110's. With respect to light-gathering, the 110's are going to win - this is a battle of aperture, and although good optics help (better contrast, tighter stars), ultimately it's aperture that wins out. Nothing unusual here, a $500 8" Dob is going to outperform a $3,000 4" APO in most areas. But the APO is likely to give more pleasing views - and the same would be true here too - the Kowa is going to give more pleasing views because they will sharp across most of the field with excellent contrast, while comparitively, the 110's will lose detail towards the edge of the FOV.

I think if you lined up the Kowas and the 110's and pointed at say M42 in Orion, the 110's would provide a more satisfying view because of the 80% increase in lightgathering, which would highlight the nebula much better, while the center detail would certainly be comparable.

Now switch to a large cluster that fills most of the view. Again the image will be brighter in the 110's, but now the superior edge sharpness of the Kowa's will provide a more satisfying view overall since the stars will be much tighter near the edge.

Yes, the Kowas will outperform lesser quality 25x100's, but they would face a struggle with quality 25x100's like the Oberwerk BT-100-45's. The GO 110's have another 10mm of aperture which is another 21% of light gathering over 25x100's and close to a 10% increase in resolution (assuming equal optical quality).

In sum: aperture is very important but not all important. There are reasons why we don't all have 25" Dobs other than the cost!

--------------------

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#1384108 - 01/26/07 06:48 AM

Stuart,

that's probably a good answer to the question Mark posed.

edz

--------------------
Teach a kid something today. The feeling you'll get is one of life's greatest rewards.
member#21

KennyJ
The British Flash

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: EdZ]
      #1384903 - 01/26/07 01:56 PM

I agree -- that was some very intelligent speculation by CESD !

Clear skies ,

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

CESDewar
GorillAstronomer

#1387877 - 01/27/07 11:57 PM

I would add one comment though - in spite of the excellent optical quality of the Kowa's, edge sharpness does not appear to be one of its main virtues as several reviewers including Kowa state that edge sharpness was sacrificed in order to provide the best possible correction in the central viewing region. That is probably a good tradeoff, but it means that my speculation regarding the comparison of edge quality in the Kowa's vs. the Go 110mm suggested a greater difference than likely exists.

--------------------

Rich N
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/22/04
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, Calif...
      #1387990 - 01/28/07 01:32 AM Attachment (179 downloads)

Welcome to CN, Oleg!

Thanks to Milt for "giving me the bug" to get a Kowa 82x32 Highlander Prominar and neat tripod / head combo. Milt came up with the idea of using the Manfroto 516 head and Manfroto 475 tripod. I put the handle for the head on the "backside" of the head so it will point up higher. The 516 head has a spring to off set the weight of the binocular when pointed high overhead. The spring is a little stronger than the weight of the Highlander so I move the Highlander a little rearward in the dovetail of the head so that the bino will better balance the strenght of the spring.

The Highlander Prominar has excellent color correction but there is a little lateral dispersion from the eyepieces and a little, I think, field curvature or pincushion (I'm sure someone here will correct me. ). TV Nagler or Panoptic eyepieces may well improve the edge sharpness. Although, the edge sharpness isn't bad with the Kowa bino eyepieces.

What sold me on the Highlander Prominar was the view of Jupiter through Milt's Highlander Prominar. It was a crisp, clean view of the disk of Jupiter. You could see the two major dark bands, the NEB & SEB. The four largest moons were easy to see, even one that was very close to the edge of the planet (it was going to pass behind Jupiter). This was with the 32x eyepieces.

When Jupiter was in the center of the field of view I couldn't see any false color. Again, when Jupiter is moved toward the edge of the field there is a little lateral dispersion from the eyepieces. The same thing happens when using my Takahashi FC-100 f/8 and AP EDFs and EDTs. If you wonder if it is because of the eyepiece put the eyepiece in a Newtonian reflector. I've done this test and the false color (lateral dispersion) is there... so I know it is from the eyepiece.

My first trip to a remote site with my Kowa Highlander Prominar 82x32 was to Henry Coe State Park (a little southeast of San Jose, California, USA). Not long after dark clouds came over, so I used the Highlander to read lighted signs on buildings in Gilroy (several miles from our observing site). The image quality of the Kowa Highlander Prominar is really outstanding.

I'll try one of my Naglers in my Highlander. However, I will take care not to let the end of the Nagler hit the window that keeps the binocular waterproof. That window sits at the base of the eyepiece holder.

The 50x Highlander eyepieces are very nice but I use the 32s eyepieces more often.

Here is a pic of the Highlander.

Rich

Attachment

Rich N
Post Laureate

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: Rich N]
      #1387995 - 01/28/07 01:37 AM Attachment (131 downloads)

The 82x32 Highlander is also a great birding binocular.

Attachment

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1388020 - 01/28/07 02:11 AM

For high power observing, it is hard to beat the combo of a fine telescope, fine binoviewer and fine eyepieces.

A telescope with a binoviewer is also an easy, practical way to have lots of light gathering... using both eyes.
However, I think a binoviewer is best when used for high power planetary observing. When I want lots of light gathering
I prefer to switch to a single (mono) eyepiece system. YMMV

Rich

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#1389407 - 01/28/07 06:18 PM

Although this thread started out as a question, the responses have prompted me to add it to the minireviews for the info on the Kowa highlander. thanks everyone.

edz

--------------------
member#21

milt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/13/04
Loc: Arizona
      #1390087 - 01/28/07 11:32 PM

Nice mini-review of the Highlander, Rich! I also believe that much of the edge issue is eyepiece related, and have just learned not to go there.

I will also add that while very unusual, it is entirely possible at the same magnification for 82mm to go deeper than 100mm on point sources - just not on extended ones as Ed stated. My Highlander went slightly deeper than my Borg 100ED binoscope on stellar limiting magnitude, which was one of the reasons that I sold the binoscope and kept the Highlander. IMO, open star clusters are the Kowa's forte since they are collections of point sources.

Lastly, congratulations on your purchase, Silvio. I hope you will get many years of enjoyment to amortize the pain in the pocketbook...

camvan
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: milt]
      #1390325 - 01/29/07 03:25 AM

hey milt, would you think it's because of the light loss involved with the bino-viewer that caused it not to go as far? would a scope with a bit more aperture have fixed that?

--------------------
Cameron

Intes MN66
Meade SN8
handfull of cheap ep's

milt
professor emeritus

#1390842 - 01/29/07 12:11 PM

would you think it's because of the light loss involved with the bino-viewer that caused it not to go as far?

As I stated in my review, I felt that my Borg 100ED binoscope (not binoviewer) was definitely compromised by reflectivity losses in the Astromeccanica back end. Nonetheless, the binoscope still went slightly deeper on extended objects while not as deep on point sources. This tells me that the Kowa's objectives are exquisitely figured - probably on the level of an A-P or Tak apo. This is what you pay the big money for in optics.

I remember Markus Ludes being frustrated because the Highlander objectives would take so much more magnification than the available Kowa eyepieces. I believe he was the first to experiment with bumping power, but if I recall it also involved some machining on the TV eyepieces.

Milt

Erik D
Post Laureate

#1390867 - 01/29/07 12:28 PM

Cam,

You can read details about Milt's Borg 100 ED BINOSCOPE in his review here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=187

I would think 82mm spotters of the Kowa FL quality should be able to reach 60-75X with no problem at all.

Hi Milt,

I hope you had a great holiday.

Nice of you to drop in. I was wondering how long we'll have to wait before we can have your input on this tread. ;-))

Any updates you can share about the Miyauchi 22X60? I am sure itworks great as a mini binoscope for astronomy but I want to use it 50% of the time as a spotting scope too.

I am debating between the little Miyauchi M45 and the Garett Optical SS 28X110.....

Erik D

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1391074 - 01/29/07 02:30 PM

Quote:

Nice mini-review of the Highlander, Rich! I also believe that much of the edge issue is eyepiece related, and have just learned not to go there.

I will also add that while very unusual, it is entirely possible at the same magnification for 82mm to go deeper than 100mm on point sources - just not on extended ones as Ed stated. My Highlander went slightly deeper than my Borg 100ED binoscope on stellar limiting magnitude, which was one of the reasons that I sold the binoscope and kept the Highlander. IMO, open star clusters are the Kowa's forte since they are collections of point sources.

Lastly, congratulations on your purchase, Silvio. I hope you will get many years of enjoyment to amortize the pain in the pocketbook...

Thanks, Milt!

I'm very happy with the Kowa 82x32 Highlander Prominar just the way it is. Although, a 5 inch model would be really nice!

All the best,
Rich

unistar81

#1391273 - 01/29/07 04:20 PM

Thank you all for all of the input and reviews. I decided I am going to get the Kowa's. I'll let everyone know ones I try them out! the 50X eyepieces would be nice but thats another $1000! I'd like to know if anybody found out about using modified non Kowa eye pieces as mentioned above.

I am also wondering if anybody ever tried to take pics with digital cameras by bringing the cams lens to the eyepiece and taking a picture like that? ( I would think mounting the camera on a 2nd tripod would make this somewhat interesting...)

Oleg

Mark9473
Postmaster

#1391324 - 01/29/07 05:00 PM

Quote:

I am also wondering if anybody ever tried to take pics with digital cameras by bringing the cams lens to the eyepiece and taking a picture like that?

Oleg, if I can do this by just holding a camera behind an 8x42, I'm sure your Kowa will give great results!

--------------------
Mark

milt
professor emeritus

#1391663 - 01/29/07 08:04 PM

Any updates you can share about the Miyauchi 22X60? I am sure itworks great as a mini binoscope for astronomy but I want to use it 50% of the time as a spotting scope too.

Erik,

Unfortunately the only time I have used it for spotting so far was briefly for the mini review. However, when it gets to where it's finally going (out-of-state condo) I will be leaving it on the tripod to watch birds and distant objects during the day. I expect it will do fine based on very respectable performance under the stars.

I am debating between the little Miyauchi M45 and the Garett Optical SS 28X110

I am leaving that decision to you!!!

Milt

camvan
Carpal Tunnel

#1391743 - 01/29/07 08:37 PM

oh wow! I didn't even realize that Borg had a bino-scope! sa-weet! too bad it was compromised as you said. do you think that would be a problem that could be remedied?

edit - I read that report and saw that you could do some tweaking to remedy the issues. very nice!

--------------------
Cameron

Intes MN66
Meade SN8
handfull of cheap ep's

Edited by camvan (01/29/07 09:39 PM)

KCN
sage

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
      #1391811 - 01/29/07 09:06 PM Attachment (116 downloads)

Quote:

I am also wondering if anybody ever tried to take pics with digital cameras by bringing the cams lens to the eyepiece and taking a picture like that? ( I would think mounting the camera on a 2nd tripod would make this somewhat interesting...)

I did this countless times with my 15x70 Skymasters, it works fine, but aiming and focusing is a real pain.

I wouldn't recommend you to use a second tripod, as you won't be able to align the two properly. And when you finally manage to get it right, your target is already out of sight and you have to move again. Try to attach the camera to the binos somehow, so it can move along with them. You can also find "mounts" that do just that, designed for telescope "eyepiece projection". They have a ring that attaches to the eyepiece and an "arm" that extends back, with a screw that holds the camera.

Focusing is another issue, especially if your camera is not SLR. The moon works well, but smaller and dimmer targets are almost impossible to capture this way because of the difficulty to focus/align the optical paths and Earth movement, that shortens the exposures so much that you can't shoot anything but the brightest stars...

However, here's a collage of a Moon eclipse I shot this way
As you can see, when it gets dimmer, focusing is nearly impossible and it ruins everything

Attachment

--------------------
KCN, the Potassium Cyanide

16" ATM Dob w/ Argo Navis (I kept modding my Lightbridge until I realized it's not a Lightbridge anymore)
William Optics FLT98 DDG Apo
Garrett Optical Gemini 30x100 WP-IF Binoculars

Half-ton pick-up truck

Edited by KCN (01/29/07 09:15 PM)

Erik D
Post Laureate

#1391865 - 01/29/07 09:32 PM

Quote:

oh wow! I didn't even realize that Borg had a bino-scope! sa-weet! too bad it was compromised as you said. do you think that would be a problem that could be remedied?

Borg does not make a Binoscope. The Binocscope in Milt's review was assembled by Astromechanica of Italy using their prisms and two Borg 100 ED refractors .

Milt sold the binoscope after getting the Kowa 82 mm FL binocular.

Erik D

CESDewar
GorillAstronomer

#1391898 - 01/29/07 09:49 PM Attachment (143 downloads)

Quote:

I am also wondering if anybody ever tried to take pics with digital cameras by bringing the cams lens to the eyepiece and taking a picture like that?

I took this picture with a canon SD-500 just held up to one of the Eyepieces on my Saturn III's (fortunately remembering to turn flash off ). This was at 39x - so the answer is yes - you can get quite surprisingly pleasing pics that way. Just resized, sharpened a bit with a Hipass filter and tweaked brightness/contrast.

Attachment

--------------------

Edited by CESDewar (02/01/07 02:55 AM)

KCN
sage

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
      #1391911 - 01/29/07 09:56 PM

It pays to have greater magnification

--------------------
KCN, the Potassium Cyanide

16" ATM Dob w/ Argo Navis (I kept modding my Lightbridge until I realized it's not a Lightbridge anymore)
William Optics FLT98 DDG Apo
Garrett Optical Gemini 30x100 WP-IF Binoculars

Half-ton pick-up truck

Silvio

#1392194 - 01/30/07 12:31 AM

Quote:

TV Nagler or Panoptic eyepieces may well improve the edge sharpness.
I'll try one of my Naglers in my Highlander. However, I will take care not to let the end of the Nagler hit the window that keeps the binocular waterproof. That window sits at the base of the eyepiece holder.
Rich

Rich - can you help me understand how to use Naglers with the Kowa? I've a pair of ancient Nagler 7mm EPs that I'd love to use with the Kowa's (65x and 1.2 degree FOV!!!!).

Thanks and best regards,
Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1392395 - 01/30/07 05:26 AM Attachment (126 downloads)

Hi Silvio,

I'll have to give it a try. The Nagler's barrel should stop at the eyepiece retaining spring in the eyepiece holder. That may cause a problem with enough focuser travel. Yes, the Nagler would be able to slip out of the eyepiece holder if the binocular was pointed up too much. I guess you could tape the Nagler to the eyepiece holder.

Below is a picture of (from left to right) a Kowa Highlander 50x eyepiece with eyepiece barrel cover (cap), a Kowa 32x eyepiece with cover removed, and a Pentax SMC-XL with cover removed. No, I've not tried putting the Pentax in the Kowa.

The caps for the eyepiece barrels fit nicely on any of the eyepieces in the photo. So, I'm assuming standard 1 1/4 inch eyepices should be able to slide into the Kowa's eyepiece holders.

These are the newer Kowa Highlander eyepieces with twist up eyecups.

Rich

Attachment

Edited by Rich N (01/30/07 04:27 PM)

milt
professor emeritus

#1392551 - 01/30/07 08:28 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming standard 1 1/4 inch eyepices should be able to slide into the Kowa's eyepiece holders.

Hi Rich,

I believe that's correct. However, I've always assumed that the problem was getting the eyepiece's focal plane at the correct position. On standard interchangeable eyepieces the focal plane is roughly at the shoulder of the barrel (it varies slightly of course, which is why not all eyepieces are parfocal). However, I have absolutely no idea where the Kowa's focal plane is located. It may be closer to the end of the eyepiece barrel.

In any case, best of luck and please keep us informed on your progress.

Best Regards,
Milt

Silvio

#1392729 - 01/30/07 10:46 AM

Quote:

Thank you Silvio that was a great post with lots of good info! I would like to know as soon as you find out how to get the Nagler eyepices on the Kowas. I've seen their tripod for Kowas which is aroung $1000 as well. Which tripod and head do you use on your Kowas?
Oleg

Oleg, sorry for the late reply. I've posted a question on this thread enquiring about using standard eyepieces on the Kowa. I will use a Bogen 3068 tripod (rated for 40 pounds) and a Bogen 503 Video pan head. The maximum weightload of the 503 pan head has me confused - some web sites say 13 pounds while other web sites say 18 pounds. The 501 pan head is rated at 13 pounds but costs half the price of the 503, so I'm thinking that the 503 has got to be 18 pounds. A friend has a 13 pound Miyauchi binocular on a 501 head that works very well except higher than 80 degrees in altitude where the leverage forces overtake the 501's capacity to hold them in place in pan mode.
I was going to mount the Kowa's on a Giro 2/Hercules tripod combo, but the set-up time and bulkiness of this set up put me off, therefore me decision to take the Bogen route.
Regards, Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1393111 - 01/30/07 01:23 PM

Hi Silvio,

The Bogen 516 head plus 475 tripod works surprisingly well and is fast to set up. I've considered removing the legs from the 475 and mounting the rest of the "tripod" and head on a portable pier (like an AP 600 pier). This would give me the movement (pan, tilt, and vertical) of the Bogen parts and be less likely to get knocked over if someone bumped it in the night.

Rich

Silvio

#1393128 - 01/30/07 01:28 PM

I just got off the phone with Bogen - the 503 fluid pan head is rated at 17.5 pounds, and not the 13 pounds stated on several web sites.
Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1393163 - 01/30/07 01:44 PM

CESD, that's a beautiful image of the moon.

Rich

Erik D
Post Laureate

Bogen 503 Head new [Re: Silvio]
      #1393229 - 01/30/07 02:22 PM

Silvo,

You had better luck than I.

I picked up a Bogen product CD ROM at April NAB 2006. It listed the 503 head at 17 lb wt rating, all of my printed Bogen catalog says 13.2 lbs.

Some dealer websites had the 503 head for under $250. I didn't want to get old stock in case there has been a change.

I called Bogen Photo in NJ several times last summer. Was put on hold for more than 15 min each time without been able to to speak to anyone. Visited the Manfrotto Stand at the IBC show in Amsterdam last Sept. The sales reps at the stand couldn't tell me the wt rating for sure either. (Manfrotto catalog had other mistakes too).

Current Manfrotto Web site show the 503 rated for 8 kg/17.6 lbs

Finally went ahead and purchased a 516 head when I saw a used one in mint condtion for sale. I like the dual extentable pan handle included with the 516 and long Quick Release plate(5.5 inch vs. 3.5 inch for the 501/503) a lot. However, the 16.5 balance spring is a little TOO STRONG for a 13-15 lb load when the OTA is pointed near zenith.

I think 503 head should be better match for a Miyauchi Saturn III 100mm or Kowa Highlander 82mm. 5.5 lb counter balance spring of the 503 head will not overpower a lighter load. I may still pick up a 503 head one of these days. The 503/501 heads use the same 3433 QR plate. It will be easy for me to swap optics to differnt tripods.

A tripod with geared center column is a MUST for me these days. Adjustable center column permits EP height adjustment to within a fraction of an inch with little effort. I find that very desireable even when I am using an observing chair. After 5 years of using Bogen and Quickest tripods with center column I can't go back to fixed height tripods or piers anymore.

Manfrotto Fluid head ratings

Erik D

LunaC

Reged: 10/06/06
Re: Bogen 503 Head new [Re: Erik D]
      #1393305 - 01/30/07 03:09 PM

Is there a counter balance spring int the 501 that could be changed to allow the 20x110 to be used. Seems like the 4 extra lbs or so for the 516 could be averted. More importantly has anyone tried?

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1393333 - 01/30/07 03:22 PM Attachment (126 downloads)

Here is a photo of my grab and go Highlander package.
Bogen 516 / 475 and Pelican 1600 case.

Rich

Attachment

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1393345 - 01/30/07 03:31 PM Attachment (128 downloads)

Kowa Highlander 82x32 Prominar in the Pelican 1600 case. The Kowa 50x eyepieces are on the side. I need to add a Telrad (or smaller) finder to the package.

The Telrad looks odd mounted on one of the Highlander's tubes but it makes accurate pointing of the binocular quick and easy.

Rich

Attachment

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1393360 - 01/30/07 03:37 PM Attachment (137 downloads)

Here is a view of the inside of the Highlander's eyepiece holder. There is a small coil spring that is bent around in a circle (ring). It fits into the notch in the lower part of the eyepiece barrel. Sorry, it looks better in the high res version of the image.

Rich

Attachment

camvan
Carpal Tunnel

#1393400 - 01/30/07 03:57 PM

do you have a picture of that setup put all together Rich?

edit - and what would you estimate the value of that 'package' to be?

Edited by camvan (01/30/07 04:01 PM)

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1393418 - 01/30/07 04:05 PM Attachment (130 downloads)

Hi camvan,

There is one image of it put together on page 2 of this thread.

Here is another view of the binocular and tripod together. The dew shields (sun shades) are extended in this photo.

Cost of the package? I hate to think about it, but in the image below there's about $5k USD. With the Pelican case and 50x eyepieces I have about aother $1k into package.

I got a deal on the 516 head by buying a demo model from Adorama. It looked and felt brand new. Still works just fine. The 50x eyepieces at the time were about $850.

All the best,
Rich

Attachment

Edited by Rich N (01/30/07 04:56 PM)

CESDewar
GorillAstronomer

Re: Bogen 503 Head new [Re: Erik D]
      #1394436 - 01/31/07 01:30 AM

Quote:

Finally went ahead and purchased a 516 head... I like the dual extentable pan handle included with the 516 and long Quick Release plate(5.5 inch vs. 3.5 inch for the 501/503) a lot. However, the 16.5 balance spring is a little TOO STRONG for a 13-15 lb load when the OTA is pointed near zenith.

The 503 does seem ideal for the Saturn III's (13lb) as there is no issue in getting right to the Zenith (and I generally never touch the tension knobs except to loosen them up when it's really cold out). You can also get a long quick release plate for the 503 head (I have a couple of short plates and one long one as I put several things on this mount (Saturn III's, WO 80mm Scope, PST etc.). I use the Saturn III's on the short plate as it only has to be moved a bit forward to be perfectly balanced (I may need to use the long plate when I mount the heavier optical finder).

Mounting two pan handles does look a tad weird as one of them is sort of upside-down, but you have to look closely to see that as the two handles do end up looking pretty much aligned with each other from the viewing end.

--------------------

unistar81

Cleaning Optics new [Re: CESDewar]
      #1394440 - 01/31/07 01:40 AM

How do you guys clean all of your expensive optics (dust, etc) =) ? Any special wipes / solutions / microfiber cloth?

I use a kenigston microfiber cloth on my digital cams and binoculars... its the finest softest material I found, takes of oil etc easily... Also a dust brush....

Rich N
Post Laureate

Re: Cleaning Optics new [Re: unistar81]
      #1394517 - 01/31/07 04:12 AM

Hi unistar81,

I've not cleaned my Highlander's objectives. One thing I do to reduce the dust that wants to stick to the glass is to use a dew heater, even on nights when the chance of dew is small.

When I must clean the Highlander's objectives I will start with a good bulb blower. Then use a spray bottle filled with distilled water and a little dish washing detergent. Next, I would spray the obectives with only distilled water and see how the lenses look.

The original version of Windex works quite well. I use it on some of my better eyepieces.

Since the Highlander is waterproof, I wonder how well an ultrasonic bath would work on cleaning the lenses?

Rich

Erik D
Post Laureate

Re: Bogen 501 Head new [Re: LunaC]
      #1396778 - 02/01/07 10:08 AM

Quote:

Is there a counter balance spring int the 501 that could be changed to allow the 20x110 to be used. Seems like the 4 extra lbs or so for the 516 could be averted. More importantly has anyone tried?

I have a 2003 Bogen catalog showing the inner workings of the 501 and 503 head. There is no counter balance spring inside the 501 head and no way to attach a spring. The 503 head have different internal components to attach a fixed wt spring of 5.5 lbs.

Manfrotto did offer a 505 fluid head for a short time. I think it's a rebadged Gitzo( Manfrotto and Giztzo have been under the same parent company for several years). The 505 can accept interchangeable balance spring of 2.2, 4.4, 11, 17.6 and 22 lbs. The 505 head was discontinued a few years back.

ERik D

Silvio

#1399074 - 02/02/07 12:42 PM

Quote:

I put the handle for the head on the "backside" of the head so it will point up higher. The 516 head has a spring to off set the weight of the binocular when pointed high overhead. The spring is a little stronger than the weight of the Highlander so I move the Highlander a little rearward in the dovetail of the head so that the bino will better balance the strenght of the spring.
Rich

Rich, I assume that you've mounted the bino's "backwards" so that the mounting plate's retaining pin is now at the eyepiece end rather than at the objective end. Also, does the pan handle interfere with the adjusting knobs on the side of the mount now that the handle passes along the side of the mount rather than hang off the end of the mount?

I just took delivery of a 503 head and it only has 60 degrees of north altitude movement - not enough!

Finally, the paperwork that came with the head states the load capacity at 13 pounds. Again, confusion of the load capacity over the 503 head!!! Do you foresee any issues with the Kowa's pointing at zenith with the 503 head?

Thanks for any help,
Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399242 - 02/02/07 02:20 PM Attachment (95 downloads)

Hi Silvio,

The red/orange release button on the 516 is a little close to the handle but not a problem. I could angle the handle a little differently and make pushing the button easier.

I'll post pics of the head and plate.

Sorry, I've no experience with the 503 head.

All the best,
Rich

Attachment

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399248 - 02/02/07 02:25 PM Attachment (83 downloads)

A little different angle (Bogen 516 head).

Attachment

Erik D
Post Laureate

#1399250 - 02/02/07 02:27 PM

Silvio,

Rich N mounts his Kowa on a Bogen 516 head. He does not have 503 head.

My Bogen catalog show the same tilt angles for the 501, 503 and 516 heads. They are all listed as +90 deg, -60 deg. They should be listed as +60 and -90 deg with the pan handles in "normal" position. However, the QR plate can be inserted from either end so by reversing the QR plate and adjusting the pan handles 'backward' you can reach 90 degs UP. I have no trouble reaching zenith with either my 501 or 516 head.

Reversing the handles to come across the head can interfere with the friction knob and tilt lock lever at certin angles. But since the handles can be rotated in a 360 deg arc and pivioted AWAY from the head, you should be able to find a comfortable position and still clear the knobs.

I like the teleoptic handle on the 503 head better than the fix length handle on the 501 head. The 503 handle can be extended for longer reach if you are mount a long OTA and shortened if you are using smaller binos.

The 501 head and 503 handles have different size threaded stud. They are not interchangeable.

Did you order a 2nd pan handle for you 503 head?

ERik D

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399254 - 02/02/07 02:29 PM Attachment (106 downloads)

Kowa 82x32 Highlander Prominar upside down showing 516 plate.

Attachment

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399267 - 02/02/07 02:37 PM Attachment (84 downloads)

Closer view of the 516 plate mounted on the Highlander.

Attachment

Silvio

#1399286 - 02/02/07 02:47 PM

Thanks Rich and Erik for your inputs. You've both been a great source of influence in my decision making!

Erik, I did not get a second handle yet - I need to play around with the set-up over the weekend to see what works best for me.

Again, thanks for all the help,
Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399343 - 02/02/07 03:16 PM Attachment (86 downloads)

Happy to help, Silvio!

The handle on the 516 easily telescopes. In the pic below it is at its shortest.

Rich

Attachment

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399392 - 02/02/07 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I put the handle for the head on the "backside" of the head so it will point up higher. The 516 head has a spring to off set the weight of the binocular when pointed high overhead. The spring is a little stronger than the weight of the Highlander so I move the Highlander a little rearward in the dovetail of the head so that the bino will better balance the strenght of the spring.
Rich

Rich, I assume that you've mounted the bino's "backwards" so that the mounting plate's retaining pin is now at the eyepiece end rather than at the objective end. Also, does the pan handle interfere with the adjusting knobs on the side of the mount now that the handle passes along the side of the mount rather than hang off the end of the mount?

I just took delivery of a 503 head and it only has 60 degrees of north altitude movement - not enough!

Finally, the paperwork that came with the head states the load capacity at 13 pounds. Again, confusion of the load capacity over the 503 head!!! Do you foresee any issues with the Kowa's pointing at zenith with the 503 head?

Thanks for any help,
Silvio.

Hi Silvio,

I mount the Highlander and the handle on the 516 head, so that I can point the binocular high overhead.

Maybe the same thing can be done with the 503 to get beyond the 60 deg upward limit.

All the best,
Rich

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399481 - 02/02/07 04:45 PM

Brief eyepiece report.

This afternoon I tried my old 7mm Type 1 Nagler in the Kowa 82x32 Highlander Prominar binocular. The barrel of the eyepiece was just a little too large in diameter to slip into the eyepiece holder. At least it was so tight a fit I didn't want to take a chance on it getting stuck.

My much newer 9mm Nagler Type 6 did slip into the eyepiece holder but would not come to focus at infinity. It would focus closer and had I thought about it I would have taken note of the edge sharpness when focused at about 100 feet away.

My Takahashi 7.5mm LE eyepiece would also slip into the eyepiece holder. Again, not enough focuser travel to let it focus at infinity.

All the best,
Rich

edwincjones
Close Enough

#1399530 - 02/02/07 05:07 PM

JUST A COMMENT ON THE BOGEN QUICK RELEASE

My quick release got gummed up with oil, dirt, whatever-one night at a star party while pointing my miyauchis vertical, the release released the binoculars and they fell about 6' to the hard NewMexico ground. Luckly, just a few scratches but no real damage to the 20x100s.
I no longer trust the quick release and use UA mounts on the Bogen tripod instead of the fluid head.

KEEP THE QUICK RELEASE CLEAN!

edj

--------------------

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399544 - 02/02/07 05:14 PM

Hi Edwin,

Wow! I'm glad your Miyauchis came through the drop as well as they did.

Rich

KennyJ
The British Flash

#1399631 - 02/02/07 06:05 PM

Thanks for the warning Edwin .

I wonder if anyone else has ever suffered a similar problem ?

With so many less expensive alternatives available than the Bogen's , it's a wonder we never hear of more incidents such as this .

It goes without saying I am also relieved and pleased there was no serious damage incured in this case .

Regards , Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1399678 - 02/02/07 06:34 PM

After, Silvio's and Edwin's warnings I took a closer look at my Bogen 516 head and its dovetail plate. Once the 516's dovetail plate slids in far enough to engage the red release/lock the plate is then captive and can slide back and forth about 3 inches, stop to stop. The red button must be held in to remove the dovetail plate.

On the other side of the 516 head, opposit the red button, is a locking lever that lets you firmly lock the dovetail plate to the head. So, the dovetail plate seems pretty secure in the 516 head.

My birding tripod is a Manfroto/Bogen carbon fiber model 441 with a 3130 Manfroto/Bogen head. Its quick release plate has never failed me. There is a little locking lever that can be flipped to prevent the main release lever from moving enough to release the plate. So far no spotting scopes dropped on the ground.

Rich

Edited by Rich N (02/03/07 05:09 PM)

edwincjones
Close Enough

#1399804 - 02/02/07 07:44 PM

My locking lever was so "gummed up" that it did not completely lock, so when pressure was applied with the weight of the binoculars, they and the plate came lose. Poor maintance/carelessness on my part-I was lucky.

Miyauchi has a reported history of being fragile, not holding columination; but mine survived well. Needless to say, I now check the little things better.

edj

--------------------

Beg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/23/04
Loc: Steamboat, CO
      #1400327 - 02/03/07 02:18 AM Attachment (88 downloads)

Another very handy item to have with these setups is the Bogen Video Caddy. Adds stablizaion and makes a great holder for charts, notebooks or just about anything.

I use the 501 head with dual handles with my Miyauchis. Makes for effortless panning. A joy to use.

By the way Edwin, thanks for that heads up. I really try to keep everything clean and wiped down, but that quick release is something I will keep an eye on.

------------------
Brian

Attachment

Erik D
Post Laureate

Re: Kowa Highlander / Miyauchi 26x100 / Garrett 20 new [Re: Beg]
      #1400550 - 02/03/07 08:32 AM

Brian,

I purchased that caddy (in sliver) a few years ago but never used it much. I think it will work better for me if I build a box for it to hold accessories. Never thought about using it to aid stability. I'll have to give it a try again.

It's that a Bogen 3221 WN tripod? If so we have the identical setup. I have yet to find a better buy fluid head than the 501. The next step up is costs nearly 2X higher.

ERik D

Wayne Parrish
sage

Reged: 02/23/04
      #1401943 - 02/03/07 08:38 PM

Brian, How do you like your Sat 2's ? I have had a pair for about three years,I think, and when I bought the Sat 3's I fully intended on selling the 2's. Now that I have used them both,I don't want to sell the 2's ! The 3's of course are brighter on the DSO ,but the Sat 2's are no slouches by a long shot. I will probably sell the 2's if something bigger and better comes along,but till then they will keep looking up here. Wayne

milt
professor emeritus

#1402096 - 02/03/07 10:09 PM

Quote:

My locking lever was so "gummed up" that it did not completely lock, so when pressure was applied with the weight of the binoculars, they and the plate came lose.

Hi Ed,

I have been following your comments closely because I have the identical setup to Rich. My concern would be if the 516 fail safe mechanism (red button) was gummed up and then the lock was not turned down tight enough, that's all she wrote. I think from now on I will slide the bino back and forth as Rich described to make sure the fail safe is engaged before locking the dovetail. It can't hurt to be a little more careful.

That's amazing that the Miya held collimation through the impact you described. I think they offer a lot of quality for the money.

Thanks,
Milt

Beg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/23/04
Loc: Steamboat, CO
      #1402461 - 02/04/07 02:08 AM

Erik,

That tripod is actually a 3021BN. I do have a 475 that my 25X100 IF are on at the moment, as I have been using them side by side, just to compare.

I've had the Caddy for a couple years now, and like how it kind of performs like another brace to the whole support system. I have a 1x5 piece of wood cut to length that I just lay in there to give it a solid bottom. And I keep my gloves, red LED light, any charts, and sometimes even a cup of coffie on it. And everything is always right there. With the 3021, I've been putting a 6lb dumbell in there for alittle more weight the last couple outings. The 475 makes for a perfect setup though.

Wayne,

Your posts in the past on yours were a big influence. When I was started looking for a small ,quality instrument, I certainly remembered your words. There is really no other user info on these anywhere, except for this site.

I really like them so far. They are very light and solid. The finder is kind of funky, so I added an EZ finder II. You can use the Miyas bracket screws to attach the Orion plate to the finder bracket, and then slip the red light finder right on it. Works great.

The eyepiece holders I found to be very snug, and the IPD is solid and smooth, and everything certainly snaps to focus.
What really jumpes out at me is how easy it is to get everything nice and sharp, and just perfect looking ; and just relax and enjoy without having to fiddle with everything. I have yet to get the 40X eyepieces.

The 25X100 IF's do go deeper, but the Miyas overall quality with the things like contrast and sharpness, and just the little things that mean alot, is what makes you sit back and say that this is sweet.

So, thanks Wayne

-------------------
Brian

edwincjones
Close Enough

#1402648 - 02/04/07 07:45 AM

Milt,

it is amazing that the miyauchis help collimation,
it is also amazing that my heart continued beating,
as there was this period when the world stopped turning

edj

--------------------

unistar81

#1429787 - 02/17/07 03:51 PM

What size filters do Kowa's take? I want to put a UV (protector) filter on them so that the main objectives dont catch dust/dirt etc... Is that a good idea? I noticed that there are about 3 different threads after the objectives on the kowas...

Thanks,
Oleg

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1430008 - 02/17/07 05:51 PM

Hi Oleg,

The treads on the lens cover look to be about 93mm (maybe 93.5mm) in diameter.

I prefer not putting a filter in front of the objectives. However, if you are in a really dusty environment I guess the filters would be better than frequent cleaning. On the other hand, the Highlander is waterproof so if you had to clean the objectives you could gently rins off the objectives with distilled water. But, I would start with a bulb blower and hope that takes care of the problem.

When I'm out observing and I think it will be a damp night I put dew heating strips around the objective cells.

Rich

unistar81

#1611982 - 05/18/07 02:00 PM

So.... I've finally got the Kowa Highlander. used it for couple of month now. A week ago I ordered the 50X eyepieces. Installed them, but to my surprise they are really uncomfortable are designed differently then the 32X that came with the scope. The 50x have the twist-up Eyecup which is hard and really wide, unlike the rubber extension on the 32x on which you can place your eye comfortably. I this a new Kowa design? I cant even look through them comfortably. I find that my nose bridge gets in a way - thinking that Japanese designers didn't think of this since their face physiology is different if you know what I mean. Rich is that what you have or do you have the rubber things on the end? I am thinking now to return these and somehow find the right ones.

This is what I thought I would get when I ordered them:http://www.binoculars.com/images/50x-eyepieces.jpg

But I received this:
http://www.buytelescopes.com/products/images/9084.jpg
Notice the difference in radius on them - making them to close to each other so your nose bridge doesn't go between.

=(

Anybody have any ideas what should I do?

Thanks,
Oleg

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1612051 - 05/18/07 02:44 PM

Hi Oleg,

Congratulations on getting the Highlander!!

Both my 32x and 50x eyepieces have the new twist up eyecups. I think the twist up eyecups let me get a little closer to the lens with my eye glases on. For me the eye relief on the 32x is just right. The 50x twist up have a little less eye relief but they are still very usable with glasses.

I would call or write Kowa and see if they still have some of the older rubber eyecup eyepieces. The Kowa folks in Southern California were very helpful when I had some questions last Summer.

All the best,
Rich

edwincjones
Close Enough

#1612226 - 05/18/07 04:35 PM

i have the 26 and 37x eps with my 20x100 miyauchis-the 37x is more uncomfortable with the shorter eye relief

edj

--------------------

milt
professor emeritus

#1613854 - 05/19/07 05:49 PM

A week ago I ordered the 50X eyepieces. Installed them, but to my surprise they are really uncomfortable are designed differently then the 32X that came with the scope.

Oleg, this sounds all too familiar! I also got caught in the unfortunate Kowa eyepiece redesign but Rich was nice enough to give me a look through his new 50x twist-up eyepieces before I committed to buy. My nose didn't fit either, so I have just stayed with the original 32x ep's.

As it turns out, my 160 apo binoviewed will go down to 47x with a 1.4 TFOV and provides brighter and flatter views in side-by-side comparisons to the Highlander. Granted setup time on my alt-az is a bit longer than the binocular but not terrible. I plan to try an Amici prism on this combo to erect the image.

Good luck,
Milt

Silvio

#1616288 - 05/20/07 11:57 PM

Quote:

As it turns out, my 160 apo binoviewed will go down to 47x with a 1.4 TFOV and provides brighter and flatter views in side-by-side comparisons to the Highlander. Granted setup time on my alt-az is a bit longer than the binocular but not terrible. I plan to try an Amici prism on this combo to erect the image.
Milt

Milt,
I just tried out a top-of-the-line Baader erect image diagonal (cost around $350) on my TMB 115 / Denk II combo - the results were unacceptable. I was getting somewhat dimmer views, and what looked like diffraction spikes on bright objects; also I could never achieve a sharp focus. It was explained to me that I needed an optical path corrector to fix the images.

My personal experiences - YMMV.

Regards,
Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1616308 - 05/21/07 12:04 AM

Hi Silvio,

Is that Baader erecting prism for 2" eyepieces? If yes, how large is the clear aperture?

Thanks,
Rich

Silvio

#1617253 - 05/21/07 02:16 PM

Rich,
Yes - it can work with 2" eyepieces.
Full specs can be found at
alpineastro.com
Click on the 'star diagonals' link.
Regards,
Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1617287 - 05/21/07 02:31 PM

Thanks very much, Silvio!

Rich

unistar81

#1617489 - 05/21/07 04:29 PM

Are the twistup eyepieces used only by eyeglas wearers so that someone could easily rest their glasses on the rubberized eyepieces without scratching them?

Contacted Kowa but no reply yet since Thursday. Wondering if I should just get used to them and keep them. Silvio, any luck/info on using other brand eyepieces in Kowa? Thanks.

Oleg

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1617936 - 05/21/07 09:11 PM

Hi Oleg,

I'm not sure if this would work for you but here is the number I used to call Kowa in Southern California.
800-966-5692.

The twist up eyecups let me get a little closer to the lens of the eyepiece giving me a full field of view with my glasses on. They are also easier to adjust up and down than the rubber eyecups. But, if you are the only one using the binocular there would be no need to change the position of the eyecups.

I've not had a problem with my glasses getting scratched. Although my plastic eye glass lenses have the very rugged Zeiss hard AR coatings.

Hope the Kowa people can help you.

Rich

Silvio

#1619008 - 05/22/07 11:57 AM

Quote:

Silvio, any luck/info on using other brand eyepieces in Kowa?
Oleg

Oleg,
I've tried several eyepieces but so far nothing works. The closest I came was with a pair of very old Nagler 7mm's, but I needed approx an additional 1/4" of back focus.

If you look at the Kowa EPs, you'll notice that the field stops are very close to the bottom of the EP barrels; the Nagler EP field stop are also close to the bottom, but not quite enough to achieve focus - I'm trying to decide whether or not to trim 1/4" of the bottom of the Nagler barrels...................?????????

I believe that Markus Ludes uses a pair of Nagler 4.8mm EP's on his Kowa, but he had to make some modifications to them to achieve focus.

Silvio.

--------------------
TMB 115 LW Refractor
APM 80/480 CNC Refractor
8" F7 Reflector

Rich N
Post Laureate

#1619097 - 05/22/07 12:43 PM

One problem using standard astro eyepeices is there's nothing to hold them (retain them) in the Highlander. I guess someone could have new barrels machined to match the barrels of Highlander eyepieces so that they would snap into the Highlander's locking rings.

Rich

unistar81

#1619257 - 05/22/07 02:01 PM

Ehh, google shows promising results but I do not have access to AstroMart...
anybody???

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGIH&q="Markus+Ludes"+kowa+eyepieces&btnG=Search

milt
professor emeritus

#1619839 - 05/22/07 06:52 PM

google shows promising results but I do not have access to AstroMart...

In June 2005, Markus was asked if APM would be willing to supply UWA or Nagler Type 2 eyepieces converted to fit the Highlander. Markus' reply was "yes of course I can supply you that eyepieces"

However, I believe that Rich is correct that the modification just brings the focal plane of the eyepiece within the focus range of the Highlander, but would not positively lock the eyepieces in place.

You may wish to contact Markus directly about this.

Best regards,
Milt

unistar81

#1620497 - 05/23/07 12:32 AM

Great info Milt. I actually don't mind the eyepiece not locking especially for terrestial observing where slipping out is not a problem at all... Milt, how can I contact Markus? Thanks!

milt
professor emeritus

#1622239 - 05/23/07 09:25 PM

Oleg,

APM's website is http://www.apm-telescopes.de/index3.php

If you click on 'Contact' it brings up an email address.

Milt

unistar81

#1632136 - 05/29/07 02:46 PM

Thanks Milt,

Markus replied:
------
old Nagler Typ 2 , 4.8 mm and 7 mm with shortened barrel working fine and Meade Serial 4000 UWA 4.7 mm and 6.8 mm with shortened barrel
------

Hmm what would the magnification translate to on the Kowa?

I am looking at this, if anybody finds a product page for those as well let me know. Thanks

milt
professor emeritus

#1632300 - 05/29/07 04:07 PM

Quote:

Markus replied:
------
old Nagler Typ 2 , 4.8 mm and 7 mm with shortened barrel working fine and Meade Serial 4000 UWA 4.7 mm and 6.8 mm with shortened barrel
------

Hmm what would the magnification translate to on the Kowa?

Thanks much for the feedback Oleg! The Highlander's focal length is 450mm, so the 7mm Naglers would provide 64x and the 4.8mm's 94x. This is really tempting as I am certain the objectives can handle the magnification assuming collimation is good enough. I would probably start with the 7's, which would yield 1.2 TFOV.

Are you going to get yours from Markus?

Milt

milt
professor emeritus

#1632740 - 05/29/07 08:22 PM

Here is some more information I uncovered: There were no Nagler Type 2's made in either 7mm or 4.8mm focal lengths. These were both Type 1 designs and have 10mm and 7mm eye relief respectively, which would be an issue for eyeglass wearers. The 7mm Type 1 is still available as a lower cost alternative to the Type 6. These are the only two 7mm eyepieces TeleVue has made.

However, the curious thing is that according to TeleVue specs the focal plane location relative to the eyepiece shoulder is identical in both the 7mm Type 1 and Type 6 versions - they are both 'B' parfocal eyepieces. This suggests that the Type 6 would be just as good a candidate for barrel shortening except of course for the increased cost.

I plan to experiment a bit tonight with my 9T6.

Milt

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9963

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics