Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Copyright, Your Sketches, and Historic Sketches
      #1415951 - 02/10/07 01:04 PM

I figured maybe we could have a copyright discussion about our sketches, as well as historic sketches here, instead of bogging down the ASOD thread any further.

Erika kindly posted a link to the US government's Copyright information site here:

http://www.copyright.gov

A sketch that you create is copyrighted the moment it is created and fixed in some tangible form.

It is not necessary under US law to place a notice of copyright " date" on your work, but it can be very beneficial. First of all, it makes it plainly clear to others that you intend to protect your sketches. Second, in the event you did want to bring legal action against an infringer, no weight will be given to "innocent infringement" arguments if that mark was visible on the original work.

You do not have to register your copyright, however registration is required if you wish to bring an infringement lawsuit.

Here is the University of North Carolina's summary of copyright/public domain timeframes. It's a nice reference:

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

Works copyrighted in the US before 1923 are now in the public domain; their copyrights have expired and it is legal to copy such works. However, if an old sketch published prior to 1923 is reprinted in a more current journal, it would be a breach of copyright to scan the sketch from that publication and reproduce it, since they own the rights to that 'print' of the image. You would have to find a way to access the original art in that case, or get permission from the publisher.

Works published between 1923 and 1978 are a bit more of a mess.

Works published after 1978 are protected for the life of the author plus 70 years.

Works published by a corporate authorship are protected for the shorter of 95 years from publication, or 120 years from the actual creation of the work.

Here is a flowchart from Bromberg & Sunstein LLP that describes the process of determining copyright expiration:
http://www.bromsun.com/practices/copyright-portfolio-development/flowchart.htm

All of the above describes US copyright law. Below is a link that contains international copyright treaties and the countries that participate in them:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.html

--------------------

Orion SVP 6LT (6" f/8 Newt) || Orion XT8 (8" f/5.9 Dob) || 15x70 Oberwerk Binoculars || Coronado PST
The Belt Of Venus || Sketch Gallery || Sketching Resources || Drawn to the Universe Column

Edited by Jeremy Perez (02/10/07 05:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03
Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Copyright, Your Sketches, and Historic Sketches new [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #1417391 - 02/11/07 08:05 AM

Jeremy,

Thanks for posting this info and links. What are the keyboard strokes used to make the "C in a circle" copyright symbol?

--------------------

Michael Rosolina
Celestron CGE Pro 1400 f/11 SCT
1980 Orange Tube C8 f/10 SCT
4.25" f/4.2 Astroscan Reflector
50mm f/10 Galileoscope
40mm PST f/10
APM Germany HD 15x70 binoculars
Canon 12x36 IS II binoculars
Mark I Eyeball
My CN Gallery

SallyR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/08/06
Loc: England
Re: Copyright, Your Sketches, and Historic Sketches new [Re: Special Ed]
      #1417400 - 02/11/07 08:11 AM

Hi Michael,

I found this info a while back - hopefully it will work for you:

How to make a copyright symbol from the keyboard for text documents:

How to make a Copyright C Symbol on a PC Keyboard ():

This should work for all PC keyboards when you need to type a copyright symbol. It should work on WYSIWYG html programs when you insert copyright symbols and of course any word processor where you need to make a copyright symbol with your keyboard from standard fonts installed.

Hold down Ctrl and Alt at the same time and press C Ctrl+Alt+C

Hold down Alt and type 0169 on the number pad (right hand side of your keyboard) Alt+0169

How to make a Copyright C Symbol on a Mac ():

This should work for all Mac keyboards when you need to type a copyright symbol.

Hold down Option at the same time and press 'g'to get the copyright symbol. Option+g

--------------------
Sally

My CN Gallery

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03
Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Copyright, Your Sketches, and Historic Sketches new [Re: SallyR]
      #1417864 - 02/11/07 01:06 PM

Thanks, Sally!

M Rosolina

--------------------

Michael Rosolina
Celestron CGE Pro 1400 f/11 SCT
1980 Orange Tube C8 f/10 SCT
4.25" f/4.2 Astroscan Reflector
50mm f/10 Galileoscope
40mm PST f/10
APM Germany HD 15x70 binoculars
Canon 12x36 IS II binoculars
Mark I Eyeball
My CN Gallery

Dipole
sage

Reged: 12/21/06
Loc: Right behind you
Re: Copyright, Your Sketches, and Historic Sketche new [Re: Special Ed]
      #1418203 - 02/11/07 03:36 PM

Great info Jeremy!

For our international members; the Berne Convention is the most applicable to international copyright issues as there are 163 participating member countries.

Also, to save some money, if you are going to register any works with the US copyright office you can register a "collection" on one application for one fee! Something like "Astronomy Sketches 2006" would be appropriate for all of your 2006 sketches. That could save a lot of money, especially for the digital imaging crowd.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2516

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics