Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day
      #1522053 - 04/03/07 07:34 AM

Astronomy Sketch of the Day
www.asod.info

This is a new website created by two of our members, Rich Handy and Jeremy Perez.

"The idea behind ASOD is to provide an appropriate stage for a single astronomical sketch for the entire day, much as other similar calendrical websites treat the best CCD and DSLR images supplied by amateurs. Obviously these other sites have specific areas of interest. One of the very cool things about Astronomical Sketching is that it includes just about every type of celestial object you can think of, and that makes it very attractive to all. This is another chance for sketching to reach out and instruct, not only with techniques but with serious discussion of the objects through the works and words of the artists themselves." R. Handy

To see the progress discussions for what I perceive to be a "must see daily" site that will be archived with valuable posts over the years to come, please join us here:

ASOD?

Congratulations Rich and Jeremy!

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: Erix]
      #1522474 - 04/03/07 12:09 PM

Cool! I need to send in a sketch or two!

--------------------
Preston
Meade 10in LX200R GPS UHTC
blog (updated 02/15/2013)

oldsalt
Astro Philosopher

Reged: 02/12/05
Loc: Pa - between starparties
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #1523018 - 04/03/07 05:25 PM

It is about time someone came up with one. It will go into my list of favorites. It is always a thrill to see a good sketch.

--------------------
There are no winners in war, only bigger losers.

"Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.” Rober E Lee

"It is well that war is terrible-otherwise we would grow to fond of it" Robert E Lee 13Dec1862 Battle of Fredricksburg

Jim

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: oldsalt]
      #1523312 - 04/03/07 08:22 PM

--------------------
Don Pensack
www.EyepiecesEtc.com
12.5" Teeter/Zambuto, 5" Maksutov
Sustaining Lifetime IDA member

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: Starman1]
      #1523331 - 04/03/07 08:39 PM

A hearty thanks to Rich for driving ASOD forward. I'm pretty much just troubleshooting and monkeying around with the tags and css. Rich is making sure all those excellent sketches get reviewed, researched, formatted and posted on a daily basis. Awesome job señor! And thanks to everyone who is contributing!

--------------------

Orion SVP 6LT (6" f/8 Newt) || Orion XT8 (8" f/5.9 Dob) || 15x70 Oberwerk Binoculars || Coronado PST
The Belt Of Venus || Sketch Gallery || Sketching Resources || Drawn to the Universe Column

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Jacumba, California
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #1523559 - 04/03/07 10:56 PM

Thank you Erika, Preston, Jim, Don and Jeremy! I can't convey in words how rewarding it is to participate in Astronomy Sketch of the Day. In truth Jeremy is reponsible for all the wonderful structural improvements and it is his guidance that has made this site conform to the desires of the community (and saved me more than once when I made my newbie webmaster blunders ). However it is the great sketchwork and observational reports of amateur astronomers from all over the world that keep the site vital and constantly interesting. And Preston, I will definitely be looking forward to your first submittal.

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

Jaycin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/06
Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: kraterkid]
      #1684590 - 06/26/07 02:46 PM

Rich and Jeremy,

ASOD is awesome!
I finally made it over there to check it out. I submitted some of my old lunar sketches last night, only to find my Taruntius sketch posted this morning. Talk about instant gratification! Great job on the site you guys!!!

--------------------
Jason

Zhumell 8" Dobsonian
60mm Meade Telestar

Sketching the Cosmos

Messier countdown: 102 down, 8 to go!

Salem, Oregon

Sidewinder

Reged: 09/15/06
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: Jaycin]
      #1751902 - 08/01/07 04:06 PM

I just realized that yesterday ASOD finished the fourth month of its existence, which is actually one third of a year - I've been checking it daily and there was never a day, when there wouldn't have been a new drawing.
So I hope, we'll be able to continue in that fashion and hopefully create and established place in the great internet imaging community among LPOD and APOD.

Cheers,
Sebastian

--------------------
teen

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: Sidewinder]
      #1751946 - 08/01/07 04:22 PM

It is definitely off to a good, strong start!

--------------------
Thomas Watson

Author of Mr. Olcott's Skies. Available in paperback and ebook from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

@desertstarsbks

Under Desert StarsEither Way, It's Reading

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Jacumba, California
Re: New!!!: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: desertstars]
      #1752353 - 08/01/07 08:18 PM

Thanks Sebastian and Tom!

Four month's! It seems like yesterday since we started discussions about the idea. I'm so very excited about ASOD's development and it's potential, but remember all of it is driven by your sketch submissions. ASOD's existence and future lie in your talented minds and hands. Lately the rate of submissions have declined, so I'm hoping a gentle reminder to send more of them along will suffice: Don't make me come over there!

Seriously though, I believe anyone who has followed the the daily content can agree that we've been exposed to unique astronomical sketches from observers in a number of countries in the world, in a wide variety of media and to a multitude of subjects. I think you'll agree that the many interesting ways each sketcher describes the observation has been a joyous read. In terms of the historical sketches, Frank McCabe has been doing a wonderful job, sending us stories and drawings by some of the late masters.

I can't tell you how gratified I feel about Astronomy Sketch Of the Day up to this point. Just keep those sketches coming!

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3057

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics