General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
WinsorWoods

Reged: 06/22/07
Loc: Eastern Slopes of the Cascade ...
Meade LX200 Tripod Spreader Bar
      #1689020 - 06/28/07 09:35 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a used meade LX200 classic. The only piece that was missing was the spreader bar/threaded rod assembly. I was wondering if anyone knew what size of threaded rod was used to attach the telescope to the tripod. I'm pretty confident that I can make an adequate spreader bar-like piece out of plywood. This is all to tide me over until Meade gets back to me on my request for a replacement. I've got this great scope but I can't mount it on the tripod to look at anything. Oh well, the astro curse has sent many clouds to the area anyway, but I'd like to set it up and pretend! LOL.

Any help would be appreciated and if someone could measure the dimensions of their spreader bar, that would help me in the design of the temporary plywood one.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

--------------------
Dan

Meade LX200 Classic 10" SCT; 2500mm; f/10
18 or so filters that I don't know anything about
2" Orion Mega Vista 70° 40mm
2" Meade Ultra Wide Angle 14mm
10 1.25" EP's of various sizes
Meade 2.8x telenegative amplifier
2" Celestron focal reducer/corrector f/6.3

Stokes Talon 8x binocs
Nikon 10x binocs
Nikon D100 DSLR

White Salmon, WA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03
Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Meade LX200 Tripod Spreader Bar new [Re: WinsorWoods]
      #1689024 - 06/28/07 09:37 PM

Quote:

I was wondering if anyone knew what size of threaded rod was used to attach the telescope to the tripod.

1/2" X 13tpi

--------------------
John C

Battle Cry of Reno
http://www.wadsworthobservatory.com
My Cloudy Nights gallery

AT12RC
AT65EDQ
QSI683WSG-8
Roper Scientific Quantix 6303E "project" camera
mystery EQ mount on the way

katodog
Supreme Grandmaster

Reged: 03/31/06
Loc: Carol Stream, Illinois
Re: Meade LX200 Tripod Spreader Bar new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #1689095 - 06/28/07 10:13 PM

I have the LX200R with the larger tripod, and each side of the spreader is just shy of 8 inches. Depending on which size tripod you have, a spreader made out of plywood will do just fine. You can make it any size you want, according to how high or low you want it to sit on the tripod. All you need to do is make three, equidistant notches large enough to have the three tripod legs fit into. Just reinforce it by using two flat washers and two nuts. Put a flat washer and a nut on both the top and bottom of the spreader and tighten them together. The best thing to use would be two or three fender washers on each side. These are thin flat washers that havea larger outer diameter. If you tighten everything together against the wood, it will keep the wood from warping under stress, and will reinforce the hole where the threaded rod goes through.

The threaded rod/handle is super easy. Just get round bar stock and drill a hole in it to accomodate the threaded rod. Put the threaded rod through the hole, and tighten two nuts, one on top, and one on the bottom, together against the handle. The hard part will be keeping the rod in the tripod. Meade uses "E" clips, and you can use a Dremel with a cutoof wheel, or a lathe, to mill a slot for a clip. I would just not worry about the clip, and just take the rod/spreader out of the tripod when you're not using the scope. The only other thing you'll need is a spacer to go between the handle and the spreader, which will give you a little distance between things to keep from smooshing your fingers.

Hopefully you understand all I just said, and it helps you out. Good Luck.

--------------------
The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked

WinsorWoods

Reged: 06/22/07
Loc: Eastern Slopes of the Cascade ...
Re: Meade LX200 Tripod Spreader Bar new [Re: katodog]
      #1695624 - 07/02/07 01:46 PM

Thanks guys!

I used my Lathe to turn a disk of plywood to the right diameter. I beveled the sides of the disk to 60 degrees to match the angle of the tripod legs. A half inch hole in the center allows the threaded rod to pass through and up to the bottom of the scope. Still no reply from Meade yet I think I may just make a larger diameter disk and use a longer piece of threaded rod so that the disk is a little lower and it will serve as a spreader bar and shelf. I may not have to buy anything from meade at all and save my money for a wedge.

Dan

--------------------
Dan

Meade LX200 Classic 10" SCT; 2500mm; f/10
18 or so filters that I don't know anything about
2" Orion Mega Vista 70° 40mm
2" Meade Ultra Wide Angle 14mm
10 1.25" EP's of various sizes
Meade 2.8x telenegative amplifier
2" Celestron focal reducer/corrector f/6.3

Stokes Talon 8x binocs
Nikon 10x binocs
Nikon D100 DSLR

White Salmon, WA

Tombstone Sky
One-Eyed Jack

Reged: 12/18/06
Loc: Tombstone Arizona
Re: Meade LX200 Tripod Spreader Bar new [Re: WinsorWoods]
      #1695635 - 07/02/07 01:53 PM

If your request for a replacement part goes anything like mine, you'll find yourself waiting forever. Mine sat "pending" for a couple of months, then went to "cancelled" for "not enough information" without a clue on what more information they needed.

To get the replacement, I had to hammer on them by phone multiple times. All this for a software CD.

--------------------
MJ "Morg" Staley
--------------------
M5 Dark-Site Observatory
Meade 12" f/10 LX90GPS "River"
WO 2" Dielectric Diagonal
Meade SP 5000 full set, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA,
BO/TMB Planetary 8, 9mm, Nagler 13mmT6
Meade 505/USB/ASU/SNP6

katodog
Supreme Grandmaster

Reged: 03/31/06
Loc: Carol Stream, Illinois
Re: Meade LX200 Tripod Spreader Bar new [Re: Tombstone Sky]
      #1695706 - 07/02/07 02:41 PM

Good job!!. I was thinking you could make the spreader a bit larger around, so it wouldn' be so high in the tripod. I hate when they make the spreader too high, then it's a pain in the b... to get eyepieces in and out.

And it's always good to make stuff yourself. This hobby sure gets expensive with all of the accessories!!

--------------------
The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  desertstars, werewolf6977, dgs©, ClownFish 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 590

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics