Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: Look over your shoulder
Re: GOTO for SkyView Pro new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #228881 - 10/22/04 04:58 PM

What are you waiting for then Charles ?? If I had that Atlas, I'd be working like crazy to get it fully goto..

The belt and pulley setup is VERY nice in comparison to gears. much quieter for the most part. If the belt squeeks, it's either too tight, or needs a small shot of silicone spray to silence it.

--------------------
Mark

Lost in thought. Please send search party!!!

Astro-Tech 111EDT
Orion 8" F5 Newt w/Moonlight CR-2 focuser
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Greg K.Administrator

Reged: 12/11/03
Loc: Clifton Park, NY
Re: GOTO for SkyView Pro new [Re: BCB]
      #229314 - 10/23/04 03:40 AM

Success!!

--------------------
Astro-Tech AT111EDT f/7 | AT72ED f/6 | Celestron CGEM
NexStar 11 GPS | Orion SkyView Pro 8EQ (w/ Autostar mod)
Canon EOS Rebel T2i (modded) | QHY5L-II mono

astrophoto gallery

Greg K.Administrator

Re: GOTO for SkyView Pro new [Re: Greg K.]
      #229319 - 10/23/04 04:18 AM

Here's what I did

- The Dec axis motor mounted without much trouble, I just needed to use 2 washers as a spacer between the motor and the mount head so that the gears would mesh.

- I took the RA axis apart to grind the side of the housing with a Dremel tool to make room for the spur gear on the worm shaft. This doesn't look too bad, and in any case is completely covered by the motor housing.

- Trimmed the plastic on the RA motor housing so that it would fit. The trimming was mostly on the underside and isn't noticible.

- I took advantage of having the RA axis apart to clean, file down rough spots and regrease - it's noticibly smoother.

- I replaced the O-rings on the worm gear shaft with cut down nylon spacers.

- I purchased one other new part - a 1/4" 1-1/2" screw to mount the RA motor.

The motors are handling this mount with ease, the Skyview Pro's RA shaft is much more capable than the LXD55's ever dreamed of being, and it is far better able to handle the load of my OTA.

--------------------

astrophoto gallery

Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
      #229391 - 10/23/04 09:51 AM

All I can say is "WOW"! Great looking job, Greg! When I saw your setup, I had to do a double take - your OTA is almost identical to mine, with the major exception being the CR1 focuser (I have the CR2).

Good move using the LXD55 counterweight shaft on the SVP, the extra couple of inches it gives you in length will come in really handy when you start loading that OTA up with stuff. I checked, and the original SVP end cap is interchangable with the LXD55 one as well, so if you swap those out, you'll keep a nice "stock" look to the SVP.

By the way, I had my OTA out on the LXD55 last weekend and you're 100% right - the SVP completely blows it away in terms of stability. I really think that your modded SVP is going to perform even better than the LXD75 in that regard, but that's just my opinion.

Now on to the big questions:

Have you star tested yet? I'm very curious to know if you have any issues with the DEC motor colliding with the mount. Using the DS motors and the GoTo4All brackets on a SVP, I've noticed that the DEC motor can collide with both the mount itself (the DEC bracket hits the RA lock) and also with the RA motor (in certain cases where you're looking "behind" the mount to the south). The LXD55 setup looks like it may avoid this, but I'm looking for someone who has "been there and done that" and can say for certain what the chances are for the mount to collide with itself.

Secondly, how are the GoTo's? Good pointing accuracy? Good slewing speed?

Last question: I'm figuring that you replaced the rubber O-Ring for stability reasons... did you notice any play in the worm gear before replacing it, and if so, how dramatic is the change?

Once again, great job! It just looks amazing, just like it was really made for it as opposed to being a mod, which is the classic mark of a really good one!

Charlie

--------------------
Weston CSC:

Postmaster

#229396 - 10/23/04 10:07 AM

Quote:

What are you waiting for then Charles ?? If I had that Atlas, I'd be working like crazy to get it fully goto..

A friend of mine was going to do the fabrication of the new cover and motor plates for me since I don't have any of the proper tools to do a job like this (my original thought was to do the mod like this), but he had a lot of personal things hit him all at once and I've been a little reluctant to bring up the subject - bottom line is that the parts still aren't done as far as I can tell. I need to at least retreive the motor he has so that I can continue this thing some other way. Also, I've been up to my eyeballs with a busy work schedule that has had me out of town a lot over the summer. To top it all off, this summer has been the pits down here as far as observing goes. We are just now getting to the point where you can set up for the night and have a reasonable chance that you won't get rained on.

On the up side, I now have a "backup" mount to use while working on one or the other, so I don't need to worry so much about having the mount out of commission when the weather decides to cooperate!

Finally, it's like every time I think I have what I want to do with it all figured out, I see something that gives me another idea! I do however think that the belt drive idea might be the way to go.

Charlie

--------------------
Weston CSC:

Greg K.Administrator

#229447 - 10/23/04 12:14 PM

Quote:

Good move using the LXD55 counterweight shaft on the SVP,

Actually that's the shorter SVP shaft, it just has the LXD55 collar. I just used it because I already taped the shaft where the counterweights need to go and I last used it on the LXD55 - I've already switched the collars back. It's easy enough to swap shafts if I need the longer one though.

Quote:

Have you star tested yet?

Nope Maybe tonight. However I am very confident that it'll perform better than the LXD55. I did test it with the motors in every conceivable position and no collisions. It's at least as good if not better than the LXD55 in that regard. The only major difference that I was worried about is that the DEC locking knob is on the "east" side of the DEC housing on the SVP and on the "north" side under the motor housing on the LXD55, but no problems.

Quote:

Last question: I'm figuring that you replaced the rubber O-Ring for stability reasons... did you notice any play in the worm gear before replacing it, and if so, how dramatic is the change?

Last year when I was doing planetary imaging with it, there seemed to be a bit of periodic error as compared to the LXD55. I don't know if it's the o-rings or the difference in motors, but this was a simple mod considering I already had it all apart.

Quote:

Once again, great job!

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'm curious to see how your Atlas works out.

--------------------

astrophoto gallery

Postmaster

#229504 - 10/23/04 01:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'm curious to see how your Atlas works out.

I just need to quit procrastinating and make things happen with that! Keep us in the loop on how this is working out for you.

One question... any qualms in your mind about using your LXD55 for parts?

Charlie

--------------------
Weston CSC:

Greg K.Administrator

#229608 - 10/23/04 03:22 PM

Quote:

any qualms in your mind about using your LXD55 for parts

"Parts is parts", whatever works. I think what I ended up with is better than what I started with, always important with a good mod.

I can still use the LXD55 manually. I stuck the slow-mo knobs from the SVP on it.

I'd put the RA motor from the SVP on it, but the worm shaft doesn't extend out the other side as on the SVP so I couldn't also use the knob. Maybe I'll just sell that motor.

Now, if I could find a way to adapt that LXD55 polar scope to the SVP..

--------------------

astrophoto gallery

Postmaster

#229624 - 10/23/04 03:41 PM

Quote:

Now, if I could find a way to adapt that LXD55 polar scope to the SVP..

I like the Orion polar scope much better anyway. All you need to do is turn the unloaded mount by hand in RA until either the Big Dipper or Cassiopeia lines up with where it really is in the sky, then put Polaris in the little circle - BAM! You've got a pretty good polar alignment. If you did manage to get the polar scope from the LXD55 to fit, it needs the circles that are with it in order to work. It's definitely a more involved process, so much so that most folks just line up polaris in the center cross and leave it at that.

Charlie

--------------------
Weston CSC:

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03
Loc: NE Ohio
      #229628 - 10/23/04 03:45 PM

Quote:

It's definitely a more involved process, so much so that most folks just line up polaris in the center cross and leave it at that.

Charlie

Guilty.

--------------------
John C

Battle Cry of Reno
http://www.wadsworthobservatory.com
My Cloudy Nights gallery

AT12RC
AT65EDQ
QSI683WSG-8
Roper Scientific Quantix 6303E "project" camera
mystery EQ mount on the way

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Re: GOTO for SkyView Pro new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #229722 - 10/23/04 06:34 PM

HEHE

VERY nicely done.. Looks fantastic..

I did the rubber o ring mod as well.. Ditched them along with everything else in both axises cept for the worm shafts and the brass spacers the o-rings used to sit on, and used roller bearings instead.. I had to make a special bronze collar for the bearing to sit in though, since the worm shaft mount housing hole is about .020 larger than the O.D. of the bearings I used. The collars worked out great.. NO end play at all either.. Just screw the threaded collar down till it hits and lock it in with the jamb nut. made for MUCH smoother worm rotation, which translates to less motor torque when the mounts loaded up with almost 35# of OTA and counterweights.

I'm also guilty of lining up dead onto Polaris.. Only difference is, I DON'T HAVE the polar scope.. I just center my eye up to the hole, get Polaris close, then fine tune it Using high power on the OTA, and then do a 3 star alignment. The last star in the alignment fixes the cone error, and gives me absolute pointing perfection now..

I'm a VERY happy camper.. Only took 3-4 months to iron all the bugs out to this level. LOL

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

Edited by BCB (10/23/04 07:01 PM)

Postmaster

#229844 - 10/23/04 09:40 PM

Quote:

I'm also guilty of lining up dead onto Polaris.. Only difference is, I DON'T HAVE the polar scope.. I just center my eye up to the hole, get Polaris close, then fine tune it Using high power on the OTA, and then do a 3 star alignment. The last star in the alignment fixes the cone error, and gives me absolute pointing perfection now..

So you don't feel like the polar scope is even necessary? I feel kinda naked without one...

Quote:

I'm a VERY happy camper.. Only took 3-4 months to iron all the bugs out to this level. LOL

So you don't mind us picking your brain on the shakedown cruise? Honestly, I wish I had the resources to do things like the roller bearing mod, but I just don't. So for me, I have to rely on others for that part of the deal.

Hopefully, I will read about someone else's problems and avoid having to figure out how to deal with it...

Charlie

--------------------
Weston CSC:

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

#229862 - 10/23/04 10:13 PM

Quote:

So you don't feel like the polar scope is even necessary? I feel kinda naked without one...

Awwwww, comeon... LIVE a little.. No polar scope is no big deal when your on a 3 star.. The other ones though, I'm not sure about.

I don't even bother leveling it now either, even though it would seem you would need to... How's that for bizarre ?

Quote:

So you don't mind us picking your brain on the shakedown cruise?

Not at all.. The autostar I'm ok with now.. Took awhile to figure it out.. Weasner's site is the place to go and read up till your eyes hurt for GOTO accuracy issues/troubleshooting.
Yahoo Roboscope is the place to go for my version of mod, and has lot's of info for this mod for other mounts too. Charles already knows this..

Quote:

Honestly, I wish I had the resources to do things like the roller bearing mod, but I just don't. So for me, I have to rely on others for that part of the deal

Were it not for my job, I'd be in the same boat right next to ya.
I'm actually considering the purchase of one of those smithy 2 in one machines on the secondary market. I have too many things to make, and never enough time at work to get em all done.

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

Greg K.Administrator

#230002 - 10/24/04 02:38 AM

First light tonight -& it works as well as I'd hoped.

It actually seems quieter than the LXD55, which is somewhat surprising since I thought most of the noise was from the motors and gears. With the LXD55 I always felt the need to set it to "quiet slew" but didn't bother tonight.

The mount moves more smoothly and just seems more solid overall.

GOTOs were pretty accurate, not perfect, although I didn't train the drives and I expect that will make a difference.

All in all I think it's a tremendous improvement over the LXD55, but I suppose the real test will come when I try imaging with it.

--------------------

astrophoto gallery

Greg K.Administrator

#230047 - 10/24/04 05:16 AM

Quote:

If you did manage to get the polar scope from the LXD55 to fit, it needs the circles that are with it in order to work. It's definitely a more involved process, so much so that most folks just line up polaris in the center cross and leave it at that.

A quick way to align with the LXD55 polar scope more accurately than simply centering on Polaris is to imagine an imaginary line from Kochab to Polaris.. Then simply orient the polar scope so that the reticle line lies along this imaginary line, and then adjust mount alt and azimuth until Polaris is in the little circle. Very easy as long as you can see Kochab.

I never use the setting circles.

--------------------

astrophoto gallery

Edited by Greg K. (10/24/04 05:43 AM)

Bill Grass
Prince Regent

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Baton Rouge, LA
      #230379 - 10/24/04 05:35 PM

Sweet, Greg! Is your declination setting circle on upside-down? I assume that's because Synta put the 2-degree increments on the wrong side of the circle from the arrow, right?

--------------------

Greg K.Administrator

Re: GOTO for SkyView Pro [Re: Bill Grass]
      #230462 - 10/24/04 07:34 PM Attachment (81 downloads)

Quote:

Is your declination setting circle on upside-down?

No, the tick marks are on the bottom - just the opposite of the RA circle, where they're on the top. However after this mod I can't really use the setting circles, at least the Declination one is halfway covered by the motor housing. But then, with GOTO, what's the point?

Attachment

--------------------

astrophoto gallery

Postmaster

Re: GOTO for SkyView Pro [Re: Greg K.]
      #230580 - 10/24/04 10:02 PM

Greg, how difficult would you rate the dissassembly of the RA axis? Any gotchas?

Charlie

--------------------
Weston CSC:

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04
Re: GOTO for SkyView Pro [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #230616 - 10/24/04 10:47 PM

"how difficult would you rate the dissassembly of the RA axis?"
My sample points: both of my Orion SVP and Celestron (newer model) CG5 mount heads are fairly easy to deal with. There is no locktite in the thread.

Also, in the CG5 case, there is no "frozen" worm gear stuck with another part, etc. Not many uneven spots need to be polished too. For 1 LXD55 and SVP mounts, I do need to perform the polishing. Somehow I think few mounts came (pre-)tuned at early stage of their life ;-)

I do find a small block of wood with two nails pass through help a bit in turning the Aluminum collar near the bottom of the RA axis.

ccs_hello

Greg K.Administrator

Re: GOTO for SkyView Pro [Re: ccs_hello]
      #230664 - 10/24/04 11:47 PM

Quote:

Greg, how difficult would you rate the dissassembly of the RA axis? Any gotchas?

Pretty straightforward, just loosen the three set screws in the ring nut at the bottom and it all comes apart. Mine was missing a set screw, and it had never been apart. Hmm.

Reassembly is simply a matter of getting the ring nut just tight enough to prevent in and out play but not so tight that the shaft is hard to turn.

I didn't have nearly as much polishing to do as I did with the LXD55 - With the LXD55 I was amazed at just how poorly finished the internal metal-on-metal parts were.

--------------------

astrophoto gallery

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7278

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics