Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03
Loc: Los Angeles
Astronomy Sketch of the day
      #1805248 - 08/28/07 10:32 AM

A question for those responsible for the Astronomy Sketch of the Day website:
Why is nearly every daily sketch that of the Sun or Moon? There are hundreds of sketches of, say, galaxies here on CN, yet the number of galaxy or nebula sketches on the ASOD site is tiny.

Don't get me wrong. The site is great, most of the sketches are great, but it seems to me there is a definite slant away from deep-sky objects.

--------------------
Don Pensack
www.EyepiecesEtc.com
12.5" Teeter/Zambuto, 5" Maksutov
Sustaining Lifetime IDA member

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: Starman1]
      #1805406 - 08/28/07 11:41 AM

Don, there is most likely a lack of DSO contributions sent in. Most of my observations are of the Sun, so that's what I submit. If you'd like to contribute your DSO sketches, I'm sure they'd be most welcomed.

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: Erix]
      #1805460 - 08/28/07 12:02 PM

Hi Don,

That's really an excellent point, and something I've noticed too. Rich is the one collecting submissions and posting them, so he'll be the best one to answer. But I think Erika is correct. It's probably that he's not getting very many deep sky sketches submitted. It is interesting that this is the case. It reminds me that I should get a few more of mine prepped and captioned for him. However, I don't really want to flood the site with a bunch of my sketches, since I was involved in helping Rich set it up.

--------------------

Orion SVP 6LT (6" f/8 Newt) || Orion XT8 (8" f/5.9 Dob) || 15x70 Oberwerk Binoculars || Coronado PST
The Belt Of Venus || Sketch Gallery || Sketching Resources || Drawn to the Universe Column

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03
Loc: Los Angeles
      #1805547 - 08/28/07 12:46 PM

Erika,
An artist gene was lacking from my gene pool, so my drawing never exceeded crude stick figures.
I see the wonderful work of Jeremy Perez and Eric Graff here on this site and they are so prolific I was simply wondering whether there was a bias of interest or a bias of submissions.
You've answered that question.

--------------------
Don Pensack
www.EyepiecesEtc.com
12.5" Teeter/Zambuto, 5" Maksutov
Sustaining Lifetime IDA member

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Jacumba, California
      #1805827 - 08/28/07 02:56 PM

Hi Don,

I'm glad you brought this up. Definitely this is a bias of submissions and not interest as you have said. I have received only a few DSO sketches and all of those have already been published. Everyone (including Jeremy) is encouraged to submit DSO, Planets, comets, solar and lunar sketches, in fact any sketch of an astronomical nature. I will not publish my own sketches on ASOD because I don't want this site to be self promoting. But that applies only to me, the webmaster. Thank you for mentioning this, I've been wanting to make a plea for sketches of all types. I really enjoy mixing things up subject wise. I think it's exciting to surprise everyone with different objects every day, however if I find only lunar or solar submissions in my email box, you can be assured these are the ones that will be published. I am very thankful for all the sketches ASOD receives and don't want anyone to feel discouraged in making their submission. Let's make ASOD as richly varied as the types of objects that we sketch.

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

Jaycin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/06
Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: kraterkid]
      #1805863 - 08/28/07 03:12 PM

Don,

Get ready to see lot's of DSO sketches on ASOD very soon. I'm about to flood Rich's inbox with OC's, Globs, Galaxies, and Nebulae from my Messier collection.

--------------------
Jason

Zhumell 8" Dobsonian
60mm Meade Telestar

Sketching the Cosmos

Messier countdown: 102 down, 8 to go!

Salem, Oregon

Faith_J
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South coast of England
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: Jaycin]
      #1805889 - 08/28/07 03:23 PM

Yep, and he's about to get a few from me, too.

--------------------
Visual deep sky

18" f4.3 dob
7.9" f/4 Celestron Newtonian
8x42 binos
100% visual observing...

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: Faith_J]
      #1805913 - 08/28/07 03:37 PM

Thank you Jason and Faith! I'll be thrilled to see them!

Don, something that you might consider if you don't feel like submitting your own sketches is to send in historical sketches. Frank has sent several, and they are a fascinating source of information for sketchers and non-sketchers alike. This does require some digging into older texts but the results can be quite illuminating.

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
      #1806263 - 08/28/07 07:23 PM

Quote:

Erika,
An artist gene was lacking from my gene pool, so my drawing never exceeded crude stick figures.

Don, if you'd ever like to share them with us here on the sketching forum, I sure love to see them, even if you feel they're stick figures.

Rich, I do have a few galaxies that I still need to write a report on. I'll try to get that done in the next few days for submission.

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

Sidewinder

Reged: 09/15/06
      #1807809 - 08/29/07 03:12 PM

Actually, as much as I'd like to submit some deep sky sketches, I've recently been in the process of moving and a new part of my life is gonna start in December, my first complete year in the clinic, I guess Americans call this Internship, we call it Practical Year. I'll start in surgery in December, then rotate into Internal Medicine and then into Radiology, all at the great University Clinic of Munich Großhadern. So I've been pretty busy, I haven't been getting round to observing a lot lately, I'll hope that'll improve soon, until then I hope, you others will keep ASOD going!

Sebastian

--------------------
teen

Faith_J
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: Sidewinder]
      #1807916 - 08/29/07 04:00 PM

Rich, you have mail!

--------------------
Visual deep sky

18" f4.3 dob
8x42 binos
100% visual observing...

kraterkid
Post Laureate

#1808032 - 08/29/07 05:14 PM

Thanks Faith! I'm on my way to check it now!

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

Faith_J
Sketcher Extraordinaire

#1809851 - 08/30/07 04:02 PM

Thanks for putting my Arp 263 sketch up, Rich.

--------------------
Visual deep sky

18" f4.3 dob
8x42 binos
100% visual observing...

kraterkid
Post Laureate

#1810009 - 08/30/07 05:15 PM

Always happy to be able to post such fine sketchwork Faith!

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

kraterkid
Post Laureate

#1822291 - 09/05/07 04:11 PM

I just wanted to take the time to thank all the folks that have contributed their wonderful sketches to Astronomy sketch of the Day. And I'd like to remind everyone here to send in your astronomical sketches. Every sketch of any kind, object or phenomenon is welcome. DSO sketches are especially needed as they seem to be much less frequently submitted as this thread has documented.

Jeremy is working to make some changes to the ASOD website that will make it easier to navigate and search. Any feedback you may have is deeply appreciated and will help us to make the site an expression of the sketchers and those who like viewing sketches.

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

#2669311 - 09/29/08 03:13 AM

Hi everyone,

There have been a lot of new visitors and contributors to this forum since the call last went out looking for submissions to the Astronomy Sketch of the Day. We would love to welcome more contributors to the site. If you would like to submit your sketches, please visit the following page for information on how to contribute: ASOD Submissions.

A number of astronomical sketchers have also generously allowed us to simply feature any of the sketches posted here or in their online galleries on a regular basis. If you would like to make your work available to ASOD in this manner, please let us know. It's greatly appreciated!

We have gradually been able to contact amateur astronomers in other countries that have now become regular contributors to the site, and it has been wonderful to see the international scope of the drawings presented there. However, as you might imagine, the language barrier can make these communications challenging--Google Language Tools is a great resource, but it's still tough to convey a courteous message this way. If any of our international members participate in non-English speaking astronomy forums and would be willing to mention the call for astronomical sketches, Rich and I would be very appreciative. Non-English speakers can still use the Submission page to email submissions, and if it is too difficult to translate any observing notes, it would still be a pleasure to feature the sketches.

Please let me know any questions you have.

Thanks again for the continued support from all of our regular and occasional contributors!

--------------------

Orion SVP 6LT (6" f/8 Newt) || Orion XT8 (8" f/5.9 Dob) || 15x70 Oberwerk Binoculars || Coronado PST
The Belt Of Venus || Sketch Gallery || Sketching Resources || Drawn to the Universe Column

WadeVC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/02/05
Loc: Lodi, California,
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #2671206 - 09/29/08 11:21 PM

I have noticed quite a few more sketches from others in different countries...and some of them are fantastic I have to say. Actually, some I have seen could be considered scientific technical sketches they are that amazing!

...and as always, anything I post here or in my gallery feel free to use on ASOD.

--------------------

Orion XTi10 f/4.7
Orion XTi8 f/5.9
Meade NGC 70mm f/10
Orion UltraView 10x50 Wide-Angle Binoculars

My Sketch Gallery

My Astronomy Blog

A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top.

starquake
sage

Reged: 02/02/08
Loc: Nádasdladány
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: WadeVC]
      #2671627 - 09/30/08 08:51 AM

Jeremy, unfortunately usually I don't even have the time to scan and process my scetches, not to mention posting them here or sending them in to ASOD, however (knowing that my sketches are still far from being artistically valuable), feel free to use any of them in any format I've posted here or on my website. (You're welcome to fix my English too )

--------------------
Ferenc Lovró

{ The observer | The scopes | The sketches }

JanisR

Reged: 06/26/08
Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #2672541 - 09/30/08 05:28 PM

You may certainly use any of my sketches, I'd feel honored, but I have no idea who I should contact to say so.

--------------------
JanR

8" f/7.8 Criterion Custom Deluxe Dynascope
6" Criterion Dynascope
80mm Stellarvue ED
105mm Stellarvue APO
Coronado PST
Meade 60mm EXT

My CN Gallery

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Astronomy Sketch of the day new [Re: JanisR]
      #2672593 - 09/30/08 05:49 PM

Wade, thanks very much for your continued contributions!

Ferenc and Janis, thanks for allowing your sketches to be featured too, we greatly appreciate it! The honor is ours.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2776

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics