Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
Alleline
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/06
Loc: Farmington, New Mexico
Meade DS-16 mount - instructions?
      #1828415 - 09/08/07 02:47 PM

Does anybody have any links to a technical discussion of the stock mount and clock drive for an old Meade DS-16, or a copy of the owners' manual they would be willing to share? I've Googled without success.

I just brought the scope home last night, and it seems to be in fine, used shape. I collimated it and got a Telrad and finder scope installed. I'm ready for first light. Still have some kinks to work out, though.

The clock drive works, but it came with a joystick that does not seem to. The joystick connects through a box that may not be stock. As I'm fiddling with this, I realize I would love to know what I've got that is original equipment and what is add-on, as well as some technical details about the motor (such as wattage and perhaps even wiring schematics), and the mount (should I oil it? With what?)

Any links or offers of a peek at the owners' manual gratefully acepted.

--------------------
Tom
Synta 120mm F8.3 refractor on a Skyviewpro mount, with a bunch of Televue plossls.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05
Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
Re: Meade DS-16 mount - instructions? new [Re: Alleline]
      #1828676 - 09/08/07 05:05 PM

Astronomic's has some of the older Meade reflector manuals online:

Meade Manuals / Reflector Telescopes

Hope that helps.

--------------------
<Jim>15x70-Ultra~TV-85/SM-60~MN-66
Unistar Deluxe~Unimount Light~DM-6

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/06
Loc: North-Central Pa.
      #1828906 - 09/08/07 07:09 PM

Hello Alleline! I don't have any manuals, but I own 2 of those mounts! One I purchased many moons ago as a complete DS-16 from Wholesale Optics of Pa. (long gone). The other I got a couple of years ago from Hands on Optics to mount my 6" F/15 refractor on. The AC Synchronous motor is easy to remove and look at the info stamped on it. Take the cover off and yours should have a single screw in the center of the motor holding it to a plate. If yours is different, it may have been modded for a Hurst motor. I have one of those as a spare as well but the cover won't fit without cutting a hole in it.. ;-). I believe Bill Vorce (Telescope Warehouse) still has some new original replacement motors for cheap. You just need to check what RPM yours is. It would be a good idea to pick up a spare or two. You can use any drive corrector made for an AC RA drive motor. If your joystick controller doesn't work, it may be fixable. Do you have the Declination Tangent Arm on it? I sold mine when I converted both of mine into worm drives on the Dec. But I've seen them for sale from time to time. Take some pics and let us see what you have..

Jeff

Quote:

Does anybody have any links to a technical discussion of the stock mount and clock drive for an old Meade DS-16, or a copy of the owners' manual they would be willing to share? I've Googled without success.

I just brought the scope home last night, and it seems to be in fine, used shape. I collimated it and got a Telrad and finder scope installed. I'm ready for first light. Still have some kinks to work out, though.

The clock drive works, but it came with a joystick that does not seem to. The joystick connects through a box that may not be stock. As I'm fiddling with this, I realize I would love to know what I've got that is original equipment and what is add-on, as well as some technical details about the motor (such as wattage and perhaps even wiring schematics), and the mount (should I oil it? With what?)

Any links or offers of a peek at the owners' manual gratefully acepted.

Alleline
professor emeritus

Re: Meade DS-16 mount - instructions? new [Re: Skywatchr]
      #1829706 - 09/09/07 07:11 AM Attachment (38 downloads)

I bought this from Rivers Camera, and the pix are still online at eBay.

Here's the best of them:

Attachment

--------------------
Tom
Synta 120mm F8.3 refractor on a Skyviewpro mount, with a bunch of Televue plossls.

Alleline
professor emeritus

#1829772 - 09/09/07 08:25 AM Attachment (38 downloads)

And the mount. I'll take the cover off later today and get a close-up.

Attachment

--------------------
Tom

Alleline
professor emeritus

#1830323 - 09/09/07 01:56 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

The motor with the cover off, straight-on:

Attachment

--------------------
Tom

Alleline
professor emeritus

#1830325 - 09/09/07 01:56 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

And a view from below:

Attachment

--------------------
Tom

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

#1831260 - 09/09/07 09:50 PM

Yep, it looks identical to mine! I see you do have the tangent arm but I couldn't see if it had the motor on it. Anyways if the big clamp knob is still on the dec shaft by the setting circle, you make sure it is loose. You tighten the 3 knobs on the tangent arm to apply the "drag" for the dec. The dec slow-mo knob and/or motor can then drive the dec. Don't crank them tight because they are only nylon and could twist off.
I see the old joystick drive corrector you mentioned. I never had one of those. I used the Meade #560 Dual Axis Drive Corrector with the Meade #36 hand controller. It put out 110v AC for the RA and 12v DC for the dec. It is also quartz controlled switchable to manual for lunar and solar as well. They are pretty scarce, but can be found on occasion. I bought 2 new #560 from Bill Vorce a while back. The #36 handbox will be a little tougher to find. That handbox was also used on the LX2 and LX3 SCT and MTS scopes too. And no, I'm not selling any of mine.. If your joystick drive corrector is not putting out 110v AC for the RA drive, you might as well look for something else. Meade doesn't have any parts for them. Unless it's problem is a common part, you will not get it fixed. There were 2 chips that were made exclusively for Meade that are not available anywhere. There was a guy on eBay a while back that sold a few of the joystick controllers brand new. But I haven't seen any lately. It pays to check every day though.
I gotta run so I'll talk more later..

Great Scope!

Jeff

Alleline
professor emeritus

#1834972 - 09/11/07 04:42 PM

The declination slow-mo knob is the little knob under the mounting plate? I was surprised not to find any way to lock or manually rotate the RA axis - am I missing something? I don't see any missing items from the parts for the DS-10 that is posted over on astronomics website. Anyway, lots to play with, here. I'm sure I will be busy for a while.

--------------------
Tom

Alleline
professor emeritus

First Light with Meade DS-16 new [Re: Alleline]
      #1838954 - 09/13/07 12:47 PM

I spent some time getting the DS-16 ready this weekend, and rolled it out last night. Went fairly smoothly, all things considered. I had the mount all leveled and started checking the collimation before I realized I had essentially turned the polar axis completely around - do other people do this sort of klutzy stuff, or is it just me?

Once I had the cope properly oriented and collimated (I am amazed by how easy it is to collimate), it was very easy to use. The old mount still functions very smoothly. The optics are nice and clean. I didn't go beyond 60x with my 31mm T5 because there was very little to see except the Milky Way. My son and I had a good time panning around. Stars were nice and sharp - didn't notice much difference on edge performance between my 8" F5 mirror and the Meade's F4.5. A very satisfying first light.

--------------------
Tom

Alleline
professor emeritus

Re: First Light with Meade DS-16 new [Re: Alleline]
      #1840516 - 09/14/07 12:50 AM

Took it out again tonight - best night of the year for observing. Seeing is 5/5 and no moon. Temp dropped to freezing, and the frost forming on the scope began to chill me, or I'd still be out.

Wow, aperture really does rule. This is the first time I've been at a scope larger than 8". I'm going to have to learn the sky all over again. There are no longer any empty areas. Everything looks like I'm in the middle of the Milky Way. Awesome experience - saw dust lanes in M31(can't do that with an 8"), saw the Dumb-bell nebula. What was really funny was, I had trouble finding the double cluster, which I could make out with averted vision without the scope. It just didn't jump out of the eyepiece as a super-populated area of the sky as I recalled it.

Spent the whole evening with the 31mm in there - no light pollution at all, tonight. The power must be out somewhere.

--------------------
Tom

JohnG
sage

Reged: 12/16/06
Loc: Wake Village, Texas - East Tex...
      #1841383 - 09/14/07 12:34 PM

Alleline,

Sounds like you have acquired a super telescope that's also a classic. I've been looking at a couple of DS16's myself lately, thinking about what all that extra aperture can do.

Interesting that you've jumped from an 8 inch to a 16 in one move. I'm still at 8 inches. Also, M31 is one of my favorite targets. I've never seen the dust lanes, although it's claimed they can be barely seen with 8 inches under really dark skies.

Also, I'd like to see the great star cloud NGC206. Supposedly, it can be seen with 12.5 inches, so a 16 should be easy. One of my ambitions has been to hunt down some of the globular clusters in M31. It's said 10 inches should reveal G1, said to be brighter than the great Omega Centauri cluster, so, again, a 16 should be awesome for these.

Good viewing!

JohnG

--------------------
John Gerrald
Unitron Model 142
8 Inch f/7 Custom Assembled
8 Inch Celestron/Vixen f/5 Newtonian
6 inch Celestron/Vixen f/5 Newtonian
8 Inch f/2.9 Sky Research Newtonian
Celestron Polaris Equatorial Mount
Celestron Super Polaris Equatorial Mount
Celestron 11 x 80 Comet Hunter Binocuars
Bausch & Lomb 7 x 50 Binoculars
A few vintage eyepieces

Alleline
professor emeritus

Re: First Light with Meade DS-16 new [Re: JohnG]
      #1841580 - 09/14/07 02:24 PM

Yeah, I was actually doing the research to see if I should buy a used 12" Lightbridge someone on this site was offering for $750, when one of the stores I was talking to offered me the DS-16 for $1,000. I'm glad I made the big leap. With two small kids and a bunch of curious neighbors, it would be difficult to share the view in a non-tracking scope. I have a strong preference for equatorial mounts, and I am finding the setting circles on the DS-16 are remarkably accurate. As you can tell, the view is phenomenal.

The next meaningful leap would be to 24 inches. I think I'm goint to hang onto the DS-16 for a while.

--------------------
Tom

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

#1846309 - 09/17/07 12:43 AM

You definitely made the right choice! There is someone over on A-mart that is selling a joystick drive corrector if you're interested in one. I don't know the person myself. It's priced at $100 but if you want to try astrophotography, you'll need a dual axis controller. If you don't have a Dec. motor, let me know. I have one that may be able to be fitted to your scope.
G1 in M31 should be obtainable on a good night. M51 is also a treat. The ring nebula will pop right out. But you'll have to push the power, and have "perfect" seeing conditions to see the central star. I personally have not seen it yet in my DS-16.
I have no doubt you will enjoy the aperture.. ;-)

Jeff

Quote:

Yeah, I was actually doing the research to see if I should buy a used 12" Lightbridge someone on this site was offering for $750, when one of the stores I was talking to offered me the DS-16 for $1,000. I'm glad I made the big leap. With two small kids and a bunch of curious neighbors, it would be difficult to share the view in a non-tracking scope. I have a strong preference for equatorial mounts, and I am finding the setting circles on the DS-16 are remarkably accurate. As you can tell, the view is phenomenal.

The next meaningful leap would be to 24 inches. I think I'm goint to hang onto the DS-16 for a while.

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

#1846318 - 09/17/07 12:55 AM

The Dec. slo-mo is the knob opposite the white plastic "gear". That white gear is what the Dec. motor would drive. It is also a slip-clutch. Be careful with it because it's not easy finding that gear if it gets broken.
You don't really need slo-mo on the RA. The clutch is usually smooth enough to "nudge" it in RA. And if your tube is balanced, there is no need to lock the RA.

Quote:

The declination slow-mo knob is the little knob under the mounting plate? I was surprised not to find any way to lock or manually rotate the RA axis - am I missing something? I don't see any missing items from the parts for the DS-10 that is posted over on astronomics website. Anyway, lots to play with, here. I'm sure I will be busy for a while.

Alleline
professor emeritus

#1846726 - 09/17/07 09:52 AM

Thanks very much. I'm going to play with this as a purely visual scope. I plan to pick up an Atlas mount this week and start using my 8" for some basic AP - it's easier to handle. On the DS-16, I'm going to work with my current joystick controller a little bit before giving up on it. I'm not entirely sure whether it is out of commission, or maybe I haven't mastered its secrets. I'll post a picture of the set-up for the joystick controller, and you may see what I mean when I call it "a litle complicated."

--------------------
Tom

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

#1928213 - 10/22/07 11:21 AM

How is it going with the DS-16? Did you get the drive corrector working? Just wait until you get a look at M42 with that scope. You'll be amazed..

Jeff

Quote:

Thanks very much. I'm going to play with this as a purely visual scope. I plan to pick up an Atlas mount this week and start using my 8" for some basic AP - it's easier to handle. On the DS-16, I'm going to work with my current joystick controller a little bit before giving up on it. I'm not entirely sure whether it is out of commission, or maybe I haven't mastered its secrets. I'll post a picture of the set-up for the joystick controller, and you may see what I mean when I call it "a litle complicated."

--------------------
18" F/5 Home-Built Dob. with Mike Dudley Mirror
6" F/15 Brass w/ D&G Lens on DS-16 Mount
DS-10 10" F/4.5 Newtonian
LXD650 and LX200 Classic Autostar Converted!
DayStar 0.45 T-Scanner with multiple ERFs
11x80 Meade, 20x80 Celestron binocs (Vintage Japan Made).
A few Naglers and 8mm and 13mm Ethos.
Gadgets and parts everywhere.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  spaceydee, csa/montana 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2456

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics