Pages: 1
Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
Astronomy Sketch of the Day
      #2008030 - 11/25/07 11:01 AM

Astronomy Sketch of the Day

The idea behind ASOD is to provide an appropriate stage for a single astronomical sketch for the entire day, much as other similar calendrical websites treat the best CCD and DSLR images supplied by amateurs. Obviously these other sites have specific areas of interest. One of the very cool things about Astronomical Sketching is that it includes just about every type of celestial object you can think of, and that makes it very attractive to all. This is another chance for sketching to reach out and instruct, not only with techniques but with serious discussion of the objects through the works and words of the artists themselves.

ASOD

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08
Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: Erix]
      #2136562 - 01/21/08 07:07 PM

When I first visited this site I was not sure what it was
about, but the more I keep coming back to it the more I
appreciate the sheer beauty, and the skill of the artists. This is one site (I WILL ADD TO MY MUST VIEW LIST.)
Simply amazing..-----

--------------------
Geoff...

Nexstar 8SE + bits and pieces
------------------------------

..... THE PERFECT DAY .....
==================================
...GO TO BED WITH A DREAM...
...WAKE UP WITH A PURPOSE...

-----------------------------

orion9
sage

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #2295049 - 03/31/08 01:49 PM

I've just started sketching and now I really have an appreciation of the skill and patience if takes to create these works of art. Thanks for the great thread.

chexmix
sage

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Arlington, MA, USA
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: orion9]
      #2416957 - 05/24/08 11:52 AM

... very excited this exists!

--------------------
8" Discovery DHQ
Celestron C102-HD
9x63 Orion mini-giants
(2) Frontally-placed visual organs, incl. lens, vitreous/aqueous humors, assorted rods, cones.

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
      #2417263 - 05/24/08 03:23 PM

Erika

I am enthused that others are enthused about this sketching forum. I think that sketching is something that everyone should discover eventually- That it should be thought of as important as writing- Or perhaps even more so important.

As a child in early grade school, I thought that only I had the willingness to sketch and draw as the greater part of the classroom saw me as ther entertainer to constantly provide it. There was maybe only one other guy that sketched as well as I did. He and I became close friends throughout the later school years. His profession turned to architectural accurate renderings of homes and buildings as I re-acquainted myself with him recently. Mine has still remained in the cosmos to this day.

I will look forward to any advice that you may have as to what I should enter as a potential work for competition to the sketch of the day and/or month.

Thanks again,
Mark

Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day new [Re: markseibold]
      #2417415 - 05/24/08 05:07 PM

Hi Mark,

Astronomy Sketch of the Day is a whole other website that observers can submit their sketches to share with others. It's similar to LPOD and APOD. You can click on the link provided in my post above to see how to submit your sketches there.

As for this sketching forum, it is for sketches created during an observing session. Some will recreate their sketches in photosoftware based on their raw sketches that they did at the eyepiece or naked eye.

Any sketch that you have done while observing is welcome here as well as can be submitted in our monthly contest, as long as you follow the contest guidelines.

As most of your sketches are done away from the eyepiece several hours after your observing session, it falls into our Astro Art forum description. As you have stated before, you draw most of your solar sketches late at night and also enjoy putting an abstract twist to it, making it perfect for our Astro Art forum in the link provided above. You'd be a welcome addition to the Art forum, I'm sure!

Please feel welcome to share any sketches you've done at the time of observing here in the sketches forum. I'd love to see them!

And you are also most welcome to share sketching tips here as well to help the rest of us with our sketches that are used as a visual recording of our observation.

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

lunartic65
sage

Reged: 12/26/06
Loc: Dublin Ireland
      #2495751 - 07/02/08 04:41 PM

Just about to dip my toe into the sketching waters and cruisng the forum shows the talent that is out there, so many are photographic in quality and displays the dedication of sketchers.

--------------------
Paul

We have your satellite if you want it back send 20 billion in Martian money. No funny business or you'll never see it again.

Seen on a hall wall at the Jet Propulsion Lab.

William Optics Megrez 110mm
Skywatcher AZ4 Alt-Az mount
22mm Vixen LVW
11mm T6 Nagler
6.5mm Meade HD-60
4.8mm T1 Nagler
Pentax 10x50 Binos
1 Wife
4 Children
1 Cat
A Crowded House

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6696

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics