Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Photon
sage

Reged: 03/10/06
Loc: Aurora, Colorado, USA
How do you illuminate your sketch pad?
      #2059322 - 12/18/07 01:46 PM

I want to do some sketching, well very basic drawing at this point. But, I need to find some convenient way to illuminate my paper, preferably a red light. I assume you've all solved this problem, but how. All advice welcome...

Thanks, Pete

--------------------
Orion 120mm f/5 achro refractor
10" Homebuilt Dob for backyard use
5.1" Newt on equatorial mount in the RV
Telrad finders on both
Celestron Nexstar 6SE
7x50 Oberwerk binoculars
bethebestteacher.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bchase

Reged: 10/04/07
Loc: Conway AR
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: Photon]
      #2059411 - 12/18/07 02:31 PM

I use a red LED light from Wal-Mart, it's made for strapping around your head, but I took the straps off and the plastic the straps attached to fits under a clip-board nicely. I also clear taped a strip of paper towel across the LED to tone it down a bit. I'm cheap so didn't buy anything just used what I had.

One of those book lights with a red transparency taped over the white light might work better. Hobby Lobby here sells a red transparency (I guess it's some sort of wrapping paper) which I use a couple layers for to tape over my laptop.. It's still too bright but would probably work better if I used 4 or 5 layers.

--------------------
Orion StarQuest 8" - f/5.9
Orion 100mm ED - f/9.0 - Atlas EQ-G
8x40 Nikon Binos

rodelaet
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/06
Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: bchase]
      #2059515 - 12/18/07 03:13 PM

Pete,

I feel good with a little Petzl led light. It comes with a head strap. When I sketch, I use the strap around my neck, so the light rests on my chest, illuminating everything in front of me except the eyepiece I look into. I cannot look into the lightbeam. I never get blinded this way and changing eyepieces or filters is a breeze to do.

--------------------
Rony

'The Casual Sky Observer's Guide.'

My Astronomical Sketches

My Binocular Sketches

Callibrate your Monitor with this little strip.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06
Loc: Illinois
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: bchase]
      #2059523 - 12/18/07 03:20 PM

As Barry above has said I also use a "geek" light with head straps. I have a red filter cover for the maglight. I also use two clip on lights for my clip board. I originally bought these for tying on flies while fishing
at night. I also made a flat standing light with a brightness control I made from the volume control off an old car radio. I can set this on the clipboard while sketching. Clip on battery powered light sold in bookstores also work well.

Frank

--------------------
My Gallery

Rogerio
sage

Reged: 09/01/07
Loc: Salvador; BA; Brazil
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: frank5817]
      #2059727 - 12/18/07 05:12 PM Attachment (166 downloads)

I use this. it's a headlamp.

Attachment

--------------------
8'' F6 Dob - ATM
8'' F8 Dob - ATM
Pentax PFC WPII 20X60; Pentax PFC WPII 8X40
24Pan; 16T5Nag; 10Rad; 7XW

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06
Loc: Crozet VA 22932
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: Rogerio]
      #2060186 - 12/18/07 09:17 PM

if your location to sketch is relatively fixed, you can also use a low wattage outdoor flourescent on a desk type lamp but shield the lamp to obtain your desired amount of light. The light tends to be even and will spread as far as you let it. It does not produce enough heat to be a concern when using a towel or piece of cloth to mask the light. Little metal clamps or strong clothes pins act as your variables to change the location or extent of footprint. When we are doing sketches that need some reasonably fixed and even light, this is what we do. Otherwise, like the others have said, a simple headstrap light works great.

Roland

--------------------
Roland
Blog: www.rolandlinda3.wordpress.com
Older sketches in Members Galleries (rolandlinda3)
For other sketches/inspirational stories: contact me via PM for information

WadeVC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/02/05
Loc: Lodi, California,
      #2060580 - 12/19/07 12:35 AM

I use a Mini-MAG flashlight. I replaced the lens cover with a piece of red plastic I cut from an old tennis ball can. It give me a nice gentle red light without being too harsh. The size allows me to either hold it between my fingers while sketching.

It fits in my pocket nicely when not in use, is not cumbersom; and is easy to operate with gloves on.

--------------------

Orion XTi10 f/4.7
Orion XTi8 f/5.9
Meade NGC 70mm f/10
Orion UltraView 10x50 Wide-Angle Binoculars

My Sketch Gallery

My Astronomy Blog

A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top.

pike_fly
sage

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: Roxborough Park, Colorado
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: WadeVC]
      #2074700 - 12/26/07 10:11 AM

I use a red LED headlight found at Home Depot for $14.95. It pivots so I can aim the light in different directions as I observe and sketch (high in the sky when looking through the eyepiece and low when sketching). I tried other methods of attaching red lights to my clipboards (many mentioned above), but there seemed to be too many shadows and I did a lot of double checking to see if I already drew something.I didn't like rotating the clipboard just to draw a dot...but that's just me.

--------------------
Lee

10" Zhumell Dobsonian
Class 4 Bortle Scale Backyard Site

View Lee's Gallery

JoeF
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/18/05
Loc: 'Sunny Loftus' - N E England
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: pike_fly]
      #2076516 - 12/27/07 05:07 AM

As I use a reflector I use a red headtorch with the straps around the tube so the light 'hangs' just under the eyepiece. So long as objects are not too close to the zenith it can usually be adjusted to light up my notebook nicely.

Another alternative, I forget the name, are small red Leds with built in battery as used by fishermen to. These have a push switch and last for a quite a few sessions. They can be taped to your pencil - ideal for quick notes with one HB but not for complicated drawings where you are using a number of pencils.

I dont like wearing torches on my head, or peaked caps for that matter as they always seem to bash into the eyepiece!

Ideally have 2-3 torches. A dim red sketching light, medium red headlamp for general use and a bright white light for packing up. Also IMO the Led torches are much better than the old bulb type as the batteries last so much longer.

Joe

--------------------
Orion Optics 200mm f6 & Accufocus on GP/E Mount
Opticron BGA 10x50 Binos
NELM 5.2 rural skies
Under tripod canine footwarmer

Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: JoeF]
      #2076856 - 12/27/07 10:43 AM

I use a headlamp too that I dangle from the eyepiece holder. Sometimes I hold it in my left hand along with the clipboard instead for keeping out glares of the pencils if I use that medium for stars.

The headlamp has both a red light and a pale blue light. I use the blue for planetary and lunar, red for DSO's and sometimes planetary. If the red is too bright, I put layers of sports tape over it until it is the brightness I'm happy with.

I used to put the headlamp on my head, but it not only created problems for others that were viewing with me, it also created a glare in my eyes from the reflection off my scope when I'd put my eye back to the eyepiece. In other words, it got in my way.

Currently, I'm leaning towards a better handheld lamp that I can also hand from the eyepiece holder, or lamp that will clip to my clipboard.

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

bicparker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Plano, TX
      #2077011 - 12/27/07 11:56 AM

I use a variety of lights, but they all have a few things in common:

1) Variable intensity that can be reliably taken to a very dim level.
2) I have velum or other light flattening material so I get an even level of light. I cannot over-emphasize how important this is, especially if you are sketching dim faint fuzzies as opposed to planets.

I have found that most lights/lamps have severe gradients/shadows in their output, often created by the lens, reflector, lamp, and a combination of all of the above. When you are sketching faint objects and they fall into one of these shadows on your paper, it adds a lot to the difficulty of sketching.

I personally don't use headlamps for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't want to inadvertently look up into someone else's eyes with it (that has happened to me too many times), and 2) Sometimes I look (i.e., face my head) towards a reflective piece of metal, so the light goes right back into my eyes.

The first one is bad for others, the second is bad for me.... so.. no headlamp.

--------------------
David Moody, FRAS
17.5" f/5 dob
10" f/10 SCT
5" f/8 refractor
80mm f/6 refractor
66mm f/6 refractor
Plus a few others out of the rotation

o1d_dude
o1der than dirt

Reged: 10/03/07
Loc: The Wolfpack
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: bicparker]
      #2216778 - 02/24/08 11:41 PM

Sorry for the thread necromancy here but I've been looking for this information for some time now but the search feature never brought up this thread, nor is is listed in the sketching sticky.

I recently purchased two clip-on LED book lights at a Harbor Freight-like store in my neighborhood for $1.50 each. I'm still working on modifying them to provide red light. I may have to install the guts in another type of enclosure to eliminate stray light which is the problem now.

I like the idea of mounting a headband on a clipboard but wonder if that wouldn't be too bright. We'll see.

--------------------
Kit

'Don’t worry about what telescope you own, or its quality. Just get out under the night sky, and enjoy God’s wondrous universe.' - Thomas M Back

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
      #2613329 - 08/30/08 11:19 AM

Quote:

I want to do some sketching, well very basic drawing at this point. But, I need to find some convenient way to illuminate my paper, preferably a red light. I assume you've all solved this problem, but how. All advice welcome...
Thanks, Pete

As I found this thread accidentally today, I find it interesting that with all the advice here, no one mentions the fact that using red light causes a misrepresentation of color, that is, if you are concerned about proper color rendition in your artwork. One would have to assume that many artists here are working in only black and white if they use red lights to do their sketching artwork by.

Have you ever looked at a multicolored image, say a photo under red light? You will notice that all red portions of the printed photo appear as white under a red light. Light is an amazing thing in this universe as to how it responds in appearance under any less than pure white light- Which is of course as you know, white light is the combination of the total spectrum of all light. Conversely, a color such as blue appears as black under red light. For other colors, the range is nominal and wide ranging yet inaccurately rendered as seen under a single colored light such as red.

We have had many discussions locally with other serious astronomers and astronomy teachers over the years about this over-preponderance to religiously adhere to red lights for astronomy work. It has been found to be beneficial to simply use a standard flashlight with newspaper or other similar white or brown paper bag material taped over its lens to simply dim the white light and enjoy accurate color rendition of whatever the light is pointed at; a star chart, a photograph, etc. while working in the dark. We have agreed time and again that there is an over-concern about using the color of red lights to maintain dark adapted eyes. It has been tested to show that the visual purple chemical in the retina of the eye that is responsible for dark adaption of the eyes, is not necessarily sensitive to any color of light but rather that the light used while maintaining dark adaption is kept significantly dimmed.

With that said, I prefer to use as natural to white light as possible while sketching and to keep it dim and at a distance so as to not blind my dark adapted eyes. I use a small standard desk lamp kept pointed down almost as if to obscure the lamp by burying it down to near the tabletop, also to adjust whatever color on the tabletop is just below the light, say a sheet of white or black paper reflecting, allowing only a small portion to stray extraneously to my artwork. Also an occasional smaller LED astronomer’s flashlight which can be mounted to the table top nearby or just simply hand held at times. If at the desk lamp at a distance, I want to see more fine detail in my work, I simply move the work briefly from the board cradled in my lap, nearer to the light and then draw back to my adjusted seated distance again where I work at the eyepiece. This seems to reflect a natural feeling while working, rather than have the headlamp dancing around, the artists neck and head having to perform extra physical feats of ‘light pointing acrobatics’ which I believe will eventually annoy the artist with unnecessary light motion which becomes unnatural and physically fatiguing to the neck, head and thus also to the mind while working in the dark has already initially added to the labor intensive artwork process. I use the ‘less is more’ approach. Some renaissance artists worked by candle light. To see an old world image of the head mounted lights, see the famed and highly respected movie, Lust for Life with Kirk Douglass playing as Van Gogh. He wears a candelabra on his head at night while painting under the stars. There are other untold advantages for new artists to see this movie if they have not. It will humble you to no end as an artist. There is much to be learned from it.

I have never been thrilled by wearing a light on my head as it dances all over and as one respondent Bic mentioned here, you could inadvertently and accidentally aim it at others eyes. Unless you operate totally alone while sketching as I prefer to concentrate on art while alone, the head mounted lamp I would still find as annoyingly not like working under a constant and natural ambient light as aforementioned above.

But then, in the material world of abundance of products we feel compelled to own every gadget that becomes available- The overstuffed pocketbook will dictate to every ones every whim.

I tend to be old-world-old-school and now you have me thinking of working as many renaissance artists did, by candlelight again although that is a bit warm in color. Add more candles to adjust to desired whiter light effects perhaps.

I hope this helps; please RSVP!

Mark

JanisR

Reged: 06/26/08
Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: markseibold]
      #2613585 - 08/30/08 01:39 PM

I use red light to do do white/black sketching, and when I want to do color work, as for planets, I work under red light using *labeled* pastel pencils - ya gotta really know your colors to do this - then periodically pause to examine the drawing under *white* light just to make sure I am on track. This does cost me time for readapting, but I'm also old-fashioned, and I prefer to do all my work at the eyepiece.

I learned this lesson about labeling my pastel pencils the hard way. I once worked on a drawing of Jupiter for several hours, only to discover that what I assumed was brown was actually green. The result was, er, interesting.

--------------------
JanR

8" f/7.8 Criterion Custom Deluxe Dynascope
6" Criterion Dynascope
80mm Stellarvue ED
105mm Stellarvue APO
Coronado PST
Meade 60mm EXT

My CN Gallery

Erix
Toad Lily

Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: JanisR]
      #2614268 - 08/30/08 09:50 PM

Something that people can keep in mind though, is that lunar and planetary don't generally require dark adapted eyes. Therefore, if you wanted to use color with them, you could use a white light to illuminate your pad.

--------------------
Erika

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

JanisR

Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: Erix]
      #2614788 - 08/31/08 09:46 AM

I agree. I have often thought the red light was probably unnecessary for making color sketches of planets. I've never used white light while sketching myself, but that is mostly due to the fact that I tend to observe in the company of other amateur astronomers and the "red light rule" is in effect.

It would be fun to experiment with different types of light, to see just if/how each variation in light changes the image.

--------------------
JanR

6" Criterion Dynascope
80mm Stellarvue ED
105mm Stellarvue APO
Coronado PST
Meade 60mm EXT

My CN Gallery

Erix
Toad Lily

#2614900 - 08/31/08 11:06 AM

Quote:

... I tend to observe in the company of other amateur astronomers and the "red light rule" is in effect.

It would be fun to experiment with different types of light, to see just if/how each variation in light changes the image.

Ah, now there's a good point. I observe mainly by myself or with my husband. He's an imager, so when we go to the observatory, he doesn't need to look through the eyepiece of his scope since it's already aligned and ready to go on the pier.

When I go to star parties, I only use a red light.

Do you find it distracting to sketch at star parties? I have a very hard time sketching because there are so many others around to share views or I'm off comparing views through other's scopes.

Quote:

I'm still experimenting. I just bought a hand held one that works very well. I need to put a film over it since it tends to "bullet" the illumination.

Different sketch media affects the illumination as well. For example, graphites tend to shine, sometimes making it hard to see the markings on the paper.

--------------------
Erika

PCW Memorial Observatory

JanisR

#2617131 - 09/01/08 02:42 PM

[quote. Do you find it distracting to sketch at star parties?

Many group observing sessions are very quiet events, where everybody has their own scope and agenda for the evening. If I plan to make a drawing, I pretty much attend to that exclusively until it is either finished or my brain is fried. (It's funny how short a time that is!) In general, my companions are content to leave me to it, so the only interruptions are usually calls to see some "wow" object in someone else's scope. My own 8" Dob is *by far* not the biggest scope in use at these sessions, which also tends to explain why I get to work in peace.

I make it a rule not to look at the object I am currently sketching through any other scope than my own until after I am finished with it. What's *really* difficult is resisting the temptation to go back and "tweak" that little sketch of mine once I've seen it through somebody's Really Big Dob or Refractor, so once I've closed the sketch book on a drawing, it stays closed for the rest of that session.

Now, public star parties are a *whole* different story...

--------------------
JanR

6" Criterion Dynascope
80mm Stellarvue ED
105mm Stellarvue APO
Coronado PST
Meade 60mm EXT

My CN Gallery

Odin
sage

Reged: 03/21/07
Loc: Ont, Cdn 46N 84W
      #2631760 - 09/08/08 10:22 PM

I use a pen light, when the pen is pushed down on the paper the whole assembly glows red shining down onto the paper.
only a buck at the dollar store.

--------------------
A time will come when men will stretch out their eyes. They should see planets like our Earth.
- Christopher Wren

LX90 8" EMC
Rigel Quickfinder
ETX125PE UHTC
60mm Refractor Meade Digital Series
Meade Electronic Eyepiece
32mm,26mm,15mm,9.7mm series 4000 Super Plossl
20mm Garrett FMC SWA, Meade 2x Barlow
10x50 Tasca Binoculars

rodelaet
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/06
Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)
      #2635327 - 09/10/08 04:26 PM

Quote:

Do you find it distracting to sketch at star parties? I have a very hard time sketching because there are so many others around to share views or I'm off comparing views through other's scopes.

Me too, I can hardly concentrate will all the buzz going on. Last time, I had the Sky Window with me. It got some pretty attention by several observers. And once they took place behind the bino's, they grew very silent. I had little time to observe myself, but enjoyed the oohs and aahs from the visiting observers behind my simple bino's.

--------------------
Rony

'The Casual Sky Observer's Guide.'

My Astronomical Sketches

My Binocular Sketches

Callibrate your Monitor with this little strip.

emersonv

Reged: 04/01/09
      #3029242 - 04/07/09 06:43 AM

For what it's worth... red <Tuck> plastic tape used for sealing interior vapour barrier and exterior house-wrap dims any flashlight, the intensity depending on how many layers. I find two sufficient for an AA mag lite. Sticks like white on rice, caution.
CPC8"
8x40 Minolta binos
HB pencil, currently for lunar studies

Jeff Young
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/04/05
Loc: Ireland
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: emersonv]
      #3029721 - 04/07/09 12:19 PM

I'm still using a dimable red LED flashlight held in my off hand. I recently added two layers of wax paper behind the lens which really helped to smooth out the light curve. But I'd still like to experiment with a clipboard fixture, or eyepeice hanger, or something to get it out of my hand. I've tried hanging it around my neck, but I spend more time adjusting it than sketching.

For planetary I use my observatory's red wall lights. The white ones would probably be better, but I didn't think to put a dimmer on them....

I haven't tried lunar yet, but I've been getting up my courage for almost a year now.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

--------------------
Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                                       Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD                       Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO                        Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Vincent Becker
sage

Reged: 09/16/08
Loc: France
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: Jeff Young]
      #3031339 - 04/08/09 04:17 AM

I use au USB LED light, originally white, but with a lot of red tape on it and with only 3V (two 1,5v batteries) instead of 5V as a power supply to dim it:

On the picture there is still the old green tape, but I like red better so I've changed it since.

With its long neck I can move it aroud the sheet.

Edited by Vincent Becker (04/08/09 04:18 AM)

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
      #3031379 - 04/08/09 05:15 AM

Pete

I have only used a basic desk lamp with 40W high intensity bulb. Now I know this will not work for DSO sketching, as I have relegated my work lately to only the brightest objects, ie; moon, planets, sun. As I use a variety of color pastel chalks, I cannot use red colored light as it imparts a false color to the chalks actual colors. I also sit under streetlights at times.

I too consider my sketching as only basic drawing.

Mark
My CN Sketch Gallery and a few awarded - published astro photos
www.markseibold.com
www.myspace.com/marksolarprophet

emersonv

Reged: 04/01/09
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: rodelaet]
      #3052068 - 04/19/09 06:08 AM

The cheapest red material I've found is two-inch wide "Tuck" tape used for sealing vapour barriers and external "house wrap" in residential construction. Here in the Kootenay Mountains it's twelve bucks a roll, but I have lots left over from building and use a tiny layer or two to stick on the lens of any flashlight. I prefer slightly worn down batteries. Also I agree, headlights are out as are peaked caps. I keep a red floor lamp in the house because it gets too cold to stand outside very long. I dart in to check charts and warm up. I wear toques, the all-Canadian choice. A hoody, if I don't mind looking like a burglar, is great for blocking side light. A really tough call was sketching from a canoe bobbing in the blackness. Strictly bino-sketching activity with a reliable neck-strap, not advised to anyone. Thanks Mark for the lecture on color, but I find red easier to take than even a dim white light. That opinion will likely change if I get away from the pencil and into pastels or anything else colored.
I love this site. Where else can I find so many involved in such a specialized art/science activity! Thankyou everyone.
Emersonv
CPC800
1 1/4"Plossl EPs:Celestron 40mm and 10mm, Televu 15mm
2"x24mm Meade 82 deg FOV
8x40 Minolta binos, pencil and paper.
Toque

Michael11
sage

Reged: 06/24/06
Loc: Israel
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: emersonv]
      #3198158 - 07/04/09 07:34 AM Attachment (56 downloads)

I use this self-made "lamp"
(it has 3 red LEDs in long flexible head, with brightness control, and non-transparent sellotape to make the illumination more uniform. It runs on 4 AA batteries, and has some room inside for storing other things.

Attachment

--------------------
Michael Vlasov
Skywatcher 10" Newt on EQ6, Stellarvue ED80
Deep-Sky Watch: sketches, printable atlases, dso guides, photography

Shannon s
sage

Reged: 06/21/09
Loc: Bartow FL.
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: rodelaet]
      #3198319 - 07/04/09 09:55 AM

I use a red led light and a clip board bolted to my telescope,and black board to block it from the EP. As you can see you just have to get creative.

--------------------
Voodoo Observatory
Orion 120ST
90mm Meade Maksutov

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
"Roll off roof-Move in clouds".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4794

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics