•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax 67

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm thinking strongly about going this route for prime, and wide field shots. Other than the cost of the camera, lenses, and getting less shots per roll, I can't see any downside to using this format over the 35mm.

I have a Tec 140 coming, and the field flattener is designed to have the Pentax 67 thread onto it. Here is my first question. The Pentax uses bayonet lugs to mount the lenses. There must be an adapter which is between the camera and the flattener? Anyone know who makes these adapters or where I can find one?

A question regarding lenses. Which fixed lens would be good for wide field shots eg: Milky Way - NGC7000 etc. I understand there is a difference in what I would see between this format and a 35mm both using the same lens eg: 70mm.

I still plan to use the 35mm. I have a Tamron 300mm for my OM1 which should be good for those tighter shots. I have the STI stiletto focuser for this camera. I guess an adapter will be next to focus the Pentax.

I have a chance to pick up a very good condition 67 body with the following features. Any comments on it?

Mirror Lock Up function
Equipped with standard pentaprism finder
Exposure counter: automatic re-set
Film Advance: one-stroke
Shutter: focal plane shutter w/rubberized silk blinds
Shutter Speeds: 1/1000th to 1 sec. plus B & X
Flash Sync: 1/30th sec.
Power Source: one 6V EverReady 544 or PX28 battery
Ground Glass: combination of microprism centre and fine ground glass
Instant Return Mirror: swing back and swing up type
Lens Mount: special dual bayonet - inside for lenses from 35mm to 300mm, outside for longer telephoto lenses

#2 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

Nice choice. The Pentax 67 is recommended by Astro-Physics as apparently it holds the film flat without needing a vacuum back. The pictures I've seen taken with the 67 are spectacular.

Have fun.

Suk

#3 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:47 AM

There are a few of us on this forum that use the Pentax 67 for wide field work. Medium format lenses are slower than typical 35mm lenses, but produce stunning sharp and detailed images. The larger film allows you to produce sharper and less grain in your final image. The Pentax 67 and its lenses are available on the used market at a modest cost. When I made the switch I almost never used my 35mm again for piggyback work. As for the proper adapters, TEC should have, or make available what you need. I've searched the web to compare my 67 images with modern day digital. As far as wide field goes, I believe they compare favorably, especially if your going to produce big prints with them. Good luck!

Jim

#4 jrw11

jrw11

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

I've always liked medium format over 35. Good luck on the Pentax. While I don't have a 120 SLR, all of you have made be tempted to try my Mamiya Universal or one of my TLR's piggybacked. Maybe to mount them directly to the scope mount?

#5 ZachK

ZachK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

I have a Rollei TLR and I love the thing, it is such a joy to use, for astro as well as terrestrial photography.

Plus it looks so different that people almost always give you some level of respect for having it.

#6 jrw11

jrw11

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

I have a Rollei TLR and I love the thing, it is such a joy to use, for astro as well as terrestrial photography.

Plus it looks so different that people almost always give you some level of respect for having it.

I know what you mean, whenever I have one of my medium format or my speed graphic at a car show, railroad museum,etc. People think I'm a professional! They don't think that way about those who have a digital! :jump:
Now,I am not sure how it would do with Astrophotography, but yesterday, I ordered a Mamiya RB67 Pro-s with the 180 lens.The 180 would be great for portraits at least.

#7 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

I still plan to use the 35mm. I have a Tamron 300mm for my OM1 which should be good for those tighter shots.

Well if you use 300mm on 6x7 format it's easy to crop the desired area to give you the FOV of the smaller 35mm format. 300mm is always 300mm. It's the field of view that's different.

#8 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thanks to all who have replied. The field flattener from Tec has the bayonet on the back of it that matches the Pentax 67. No adapter required. Nice.

This means wide field with a lens piggy back, and prime focus. I would guess that a 2x adapter on the front of the Pentax would work like a barlow for prime?

Some of the later 67 have mechanical shutters, but is fired with electronics? Should I be looking at a specific year - or will any one of them do the job. The later ones are lighter, but more electronics.

I'm convinced about going the medium format route. Now I just need to regroup the finances. The new Tec 140 just arrived, and I'm still recovering.

#9 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thanks to all who have replied. The field flattener from Tec has the bayonet on the back of it that matches the Pentax 67. No adapter required. Nice.

This means wide field with a lens piggy back, and prime focus. I would guess that a 2x adapter on the front of the Pentax would work like a barlow for prime?

Some of the later 67 have mechanical shutters, but is fired with electronics? Should I be looking at a specific year - or will any one of them do the job. The later ones are lighter, but more electronics.

I'm convinced about going the medium format route. Now I just need to regroup the finances. The new Tec 140 just arrived, and I'm still recovering.

#10 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

The Pentax 67 or older 6X7 are available on the used market. Check out Ebay. I got a almost mint late model 67 body in the original box / manuals / caps / etc. with an almost mint 105mm f/2.8 (in original box) for only $440.00 US.
The mirror lockup feature is not available on the oldest models (it came out in 1969). There is a way to keep the shutter open without a battery. I made a simple jig to hold the safety button in with a cable release. No problem at all, expose all night long. I posted this mod last summer on this forum.
The lenses are great. The 165mm f/2.8 is superb. Can be used wide open, but I stop down to reduce vignetting. I am working on getting a 55mm f/4 which is perhaps the best. The 105mm is a very good "normal" lens.

I've been very happy with medium format. It is a great leap from 35mm. Currently E200 and Provia 100F are available in 120. You might find Provia 400F in a few places, but it is all but gone. The newer 400X is available in 120 and has good blue sensitivity, but lacks very good reds. Keep E200 in your camera unless your shooting star trails, then opt for Provia 100F. Let us know how you make out.

Clear Skies

#11 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the info. Would you suggest a 67II version with the battery? I understand you can program it for how long you want the exposure. It's also lighter than the older cameras. I'm not in a big hurry - I just want to get the best for the job - prime and piggy back. I will keep my eye out for those lenses starting with the 55.

#12 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

Ther 67II model is the latest (2001) and is a fine camera. I have not used it. It does have a provision for long exposure built in, without the need for tricks like on the 6x7 or 67. The 67II cost more on the used market, perhaps twice as much as a good 67. We are looking forward to seeing those images!

#13 jrw11

jrw11

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

The Pentax 67 has always been considered to be an excellent camera. You will be happy with it very much!

#14 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:02 AM

Thanks guys. The hunt begins for the 67 and lenses. The wallet braces for another raid. Does this ever end? Methinks not.

#15 jrw11

jrw11

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

Friday, my rb67 arrived at the downtown ups building. But, I couldn't pick it up ,then. They said the planned delivery date is Monday. So, that's when I'll get it.Nebhunter, I'm sure you will love the Pentax. To me, getting fewer shots per roll than 35 is perfect. When astro photos can require an exposure time in the minutes. It would take a long time to expose a 36 shot roll with 35.

#16 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:09 AM

Well, you enjoy yours. I feel the same way about exposing a shorter roll. You don't have to wait so long to get them processed. I'm waiting on my new scanner. I have a bunch of images to post from the last year taken with my OM1.

#17 jrw11

jrw11

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

Thanks, Nebhunter! The Pentax is I'm sure a better Astrophoto camera than the Pro-s. But, since I have some Graflex rollfilm holders for my baby speed and have a Mamiya Universal. I picked the RB67.Since I don't have a portrait lens in 120.Plus, i think the Pentax would cost more.When You get a medium format camera, you will like it for a lot of situations.I like it so much more than 35, that I only use 35 for Astro shots. If, you saw my collection, you would notice several dozen medium formats, from the folders to the Pro class.

#18 jrw11

jrw11

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

Just got the rb67 pro-s, I thought it would just be the body with the waist level finder and maybe the revolving back adapter. Not only did it come with all that. But, also a 220 film holder and the lens came with the rubber hood! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: Maybe it can be used for astrophotos, if I mount it directly to the scope mount somehow. Nebhunter, I hope when you buy the Pentax, it comes with added bonuses, too! I ordered mine thru a New York City camera store.

#19 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:15 PM

Well it happened. I just received notification that I won on Ebay for a Pentax 67 with a 90 and 135 (Macro) lens in excellent condition. I thought about it, and talked about bidding with my wife - just above the starting bid. Then I got an email from my Wanted add in CN. I decided to hold off on the bidding, and see where this went.

Unfortunately, my wife did not know about the second deal. I went to bed, and she put in the low bid. I get up - day off - she's gone to work. Hours later I open my email to find I had won the bid. Talk about a surprise. This time she has some explaining to do.

Now I might have to buy both cameras? Anybody want a couple of OM1's?

Any idea how good the 135 Macro lens will be for astro photos? They say it makes a good portrait lens. The 90 mm should be good, but I would rather have a 55.

Any idea how good the 45 mm lens is for astro?

#20 jrw11

jrw11

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

The 90 would make a good normal lens. The 45 would be like a 22mm in 6x7. Welcome to the medium format community! :waytogo:

#21 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

Looks like you'll be shooting soon with your new camera. The 90mm is a good lens. Try this link for Pentax 67 lens info. The 55 is selling for about $300.00 to 450.00 used as it is a much sought after lens. You can pick up a good 165mm for under about $125-$175. A great lens for astro work. Check out this link for Pentax 67 lenses.

http://members.aol.c...lucci/p67ss.htm

#22 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for the link. This will help a great deal in selecting lenses.

I'm selling off one of my extra OM-1's - the cash will come in handy - to buy more stuff.

My daughters happen to be in NYC and will pick up my camera. They are back home this Friday. Oh joy. Need to get an ADM piggy back adapter. The summer milky way is around the corner, plus the usual suspects.

Did I mention - Oh Joy!

#23 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:47 AM

I have a 55, the older version. I haven't tried it for astrophotography yet, but I can see it has some distortion at the edges. The 90mm seems like a great lens - I don't have one but I've seen great astrophotos taken with it.

My 75mm is good, but not very sharp at the edges. The 150mm is really good, though!

#24 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

Hi Boris, that link is helpful which lists the lenses and puts a value on the quality. Maybe we should start our own list, so that we can compare notes between each other. We will definitely be a small group - but exchanging information should be helpful on lenses, exposures, etc.

Igor

#25 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:50 PM

Always nice to find some extra goodies. Does your camera not have a threaded hole on the bottom for a tripod attachment? Usually its a 1/4 x 20 thread.

What type of scope and mounting rings? ADM has a Bogen head or a fixed heavy duty type but is made for the Losmandy DUP plate - or Vixen. Have a look.
www.astro.premcom.com/ADM

My Pentax arrives Friday - a 90 and a 135M for lenses - a manual. I am really anxious to get going on these wide field shots.

I have a 15 minute drive to my golf course, and I go there at night for astronomy. It's on the west side of the city, and very dark surrounded by countryside. Great view of the south and west. I'm thinking of getting ADM to make me a cross bar with 3 saddle plates. This will mount on my EQ6 so that the bar sits sideways, and saddles point forward.

I will mount the Pentax on one side for wide field. My Equinox 80 with OM1 with 300 Tamron lens, or guide with it. The centre will hold my 80 F11 guide scope.

I like the idea of being able to use the Equinox which is 500 mm to focus on areas within the milky way - like the Eagle nebula etc. The Pentax will do the BIG picture. I've got my eye on a 45mm lens for that purpose.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics