CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Celestron SkyScout and Meade mySky

Pages: 1
CdnRocketBoy

Reged: 04/23/08
North of 60 new
      #2349335 - 04/24/08 03:00 PM

Have any of you veterans tried the SkyScout or MySky devices in more Northern regions near the Canadian border or further north and if so, what were the results like? I'm usually just North of the border at 50 latitude (near Vancouver BC) but at times head to the boonies east of Alaska. Even at my home near the Washington State border my Sirius and XM-Satellite Radios drop out regulary due to the look angle of the geo-stationary satellites over the equater that are feeding them their data. I'm not sure if this is the case with GPS devices which I assume use orbiting satellites. Thanks,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spoolies

Reged: 01/12/08
Re: North of 60 [Re: CdnRocketBoy]
      #2350791 - 04/25/08 07:48 AM

I am in Calgary and my SkyScout works perfectly. Even from the back deck of the house.

CdnRocketBoy

Reged: 04/23/08
Re: North of 60 new [Re: spoolies]
      #2357682 - 04/28/08 03:41 PM

Thanks Spoolies,

I think I'll give it a go.

Cheers,
CdnRocketBoy

Fish
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/13/07
Loc: Norridgewock, ME
Re: North of 60 new [Re: CdnRocketBoy]
      #2359570 - 04/29/08 12:23 PM

Good afternoon,

The GPS constellation has until recently consisted of 24 satellites in 6 orbital planes of about 55 degree inclination and RAANs about 60 degrees apart. This arrangement allows for visibility of at least 6 satellites from any point on the planet. An additional 7 satellites (31 in all) have been added to improve accuracy and redundancy.

Since GPS uses multiple satellites that are in relative motion to the Earth's surface (not geostationary) you should have no problem using it at high latitudes, although I have heard that accuracy is reduced above about 87 degrees. That's pretty far up there!

Geostationary satellites, which orbital mechanics requires to have an inclination of 0 degrees, cannot cover enough of the planet to be viable for GPS usage.

So feel free to go boony-bound and not get lost!

Marc

--------------------
Goseck Observatory
Meade AR-5 & Baader Solar Wedge
Orion ED80 & LS75FHa2/B1200
Meade 102ED & LS18CaKMDd2

Olivier BiotAdministrator
Amused

Reged: 04/25/05
Loc: 51N (Belgium)
Re: North of 60 new [Re: Fish]
      #2362186 - 04/30/08 02:32 PM

Is it possible that the decreased accuracy above +/-87 is connected to the transformation of (x, y, z) coordinates into polar (latitude, longitude) coordinates?

--------------------
I think you're worth a double serving of happiness!

Tal-200K (#199) with JMI NGF-Mini2M focuser on GEM3 Astro-Tech AT80ED Orion Sirius EQ-G with wireless EQDIRECT Astro-Tech Voyager Celestron Regal LX 10x42 Helios 15x70
ATM projects: 14" f/5 truss Dobson: first light Jul 1, 2011 - currently in 'tweak & widget' mode

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  lineman_16735, Olivier Biot 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3068

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics