Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: The Moon: Lunation 17.69 days full phase drawing new [Re: frank5817]
      #2586010 - 08/17/08 01:50 AM

Quote:

Mark,

This is a remarkable sketch is it not?

Frank

Yes Frank! It reminded me of nearly something exactly that I would do. It was almost like looking at another strange person in a crowd that appears very similar to yourself and feeling that it is your twin.

I see that his entry is quite dated and I hoped that he might respond soon or enter another work as it definitely is inspiring; I believe it might generate interest for others to try this 'whole moon sketching'.

Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Erix
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: The Moon: Lunation 17.69 days full phase drawi new [Re: markseibold]
      #2586355 - 08/17/08 10:38 AM

Mark, if you haven't already, click on this link (click here for the full lunar phase tutorials ) to see the monthly target for full phase lunar tutorials that some of our sketching members contributed to. You are more than welcome to put your own full phase lunar tutorial in there as well.

As for KraterKid (Rich Handy), he is an amazing sketcher/observer and was one of the pioneers that helped get this sketching forum going when we first started up. You can click here to see his sketch gallery.

Recently, he has had a lot on his plate that has kept him from being able to join in as much as he used to.

--------------------
Erika
Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.

Zhumell 16", 10" LX200 Classic,Celestron 102 XLT, ETX70-AT, DS Maxscope 60mm, AT6RC
PCW Memorial Observatory

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: The Moon: Lunation 17.69 days full phase drawi [Re: Erix]
      #2586457 - 08/17/08 11:45 AM

Erika

Thanks for this info. I was not aware that anyone else worked on full size paper of 19" X 24" as I see that most here in the CN forums indicate use of only the Artagain tablets of 9 X 12. I see that Rich has a lunar image of about 12" in diameter on that 19 X 24 page. I think it is interesting that he shows as you have in your tutorials also, to cover the entire lunar disc rendering with a base of light chalk where I tend to favor leaving blank areas of the paper exposed in my final work.

I know that that is the trick to get really good detail; to work large.

It may be some time before I can do much at the drawing table or the computer to write up and submit a tutorial as I have torn a shoulder muscle and have tremendous pain and temporary paralysis in my left arm.
-I am left handed. Hence, why my last few works have been only 9 X 12, I cannot get the details that I like in this smaller format.

I was impressed to see that you too have sketched the whole moon. Very nice.

I'll consider writing up a tutorial in the future when I recover.

Thanks again,

Mark

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2906

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics