CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Ray Rankins

Reged: 05/31/08
LXD75 RA Motor fault
      #3066898 - 04/25/09 07:40 PM

I was using my LXD75 mount with my Lunt 60 solar scope today so I had it tracking on the sun using a custom asteroid object I found on Mike Weasner's site.

Came inside for a bit and left it tracking - wanted to see how accurate the tracking was so I could start doing some imaging. When I went back out, it was making a clicking/whirring sound and I realized the DEC motor had crashed into the RA motor and it was jammed.

I turned it off immediately and loosened the clutches and put it back into the initial polar mode.

I turned it back on and when the RA motor was slewing at any speed other than max, it would skip and wasn't moving smoothly. I recalibrated the motors and did a reset, but to no avail.

I brought the mount back inside and let it sit for a while while I went out. Now, once it gets though setting the date and time, the RA motor just runs continuously at max speed until it reports a motor fault. After hitting Enter from the motor fault error, it then calibrates the drives and does the same thing again.

Looks like my RA motor or controller is bad. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I only had the scope for a couple weeks and I was out with the scope and the RA motor reported a motor fault. That time, I did a return with the vendor (I contacted Meade first, but I was going to have to pay the shipping. The vendor did a replacement paying shipping both ways). Now I guess I'll have to deal with Meade Support for a fix or replacement. Fortunately it's still under warranty since I got it only last August.

Also, why would the Autostar allow the DEC motor to crash into the RA motor? Why didn't it do a meridian flip? I'm pretty sure I had it setup correctly - I started out with the mount roughly polar aligned (as best as you can during the daylight), and had the arrows lined up on both the DEC and RA axis, so it's not like I was starting from a non-standard position.

I have to say, I'm not that impressed with the LXD75, having had 2 RA motors fail within a year now. This is my 4th Meade scope and the first one I've ever had problems with. After the first RA drive failure, I was almost afraid to use the replacement scope for fear I did something wrong. Now, once I get this one fixed, I'm going to feel that way again. Maybe it's time to get a GEM mount that I can have a bit more confidence in?

-Ray Rankins

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FoxTrot
sage

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: LXD75 RA Motor fault new [Re: Ray Rankins]
      #3066952 - 04/25/09 08:33 PM

Hi ray, sounds like really bad luck, sorry to hear! Despite how correctly you may have set the mount up initially, the lxd75 software should avoid crashing the motors during alignment and goto slewing, but it is certainly not smart enough to avoid that once you let it run freely during regular RA tracking.

As for slewing unexpectantly, the problem could be the ra motor electronics, cables or handcontroller, Meade need to fix that if under warranty. Fox

--------------------
TV Genesis (non-sdf)
TV NP127is
Clave 6, Pentax XW 7, Vixen LVW 13, Panoptic 27
2x TeleXtender, 2.5x Powermate
LXD75 AutoStar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 481

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics