"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/13/08
Loc: Cedar Park, TX
CGEM Ready To Travel!
      #3081822 - 05/02/09 09:25 PM Attachment (116 downloads)

While I've only had a couple of nights worth of use of my CGEM since it's arrived (constant clouds here in Central Texas), I've made some pretty good progress getting my CGEM ready to travel for the next time I can make it to a dark sky site. Attached below is a photo of my packaging setup. I've form-fit cut some foam into the bottom of one of my two 50 gallon Stanley toolboxes with the mount folded over as indicated in my original CGEM Dimensions and Packaging Guide. There's still plenty of roomm on the side and over top to put most of the rest of my cases and the ADM SBS mount. Back when I originally ordered my CGEM, I also bought a cheapy golf club case from Wally World that someone here had pointed out. While the latches are total junk, it's just the right size to hold both 17 lb counterweights and the tripod. I glued the packing foam from the counterweights into the bottom with foam rubber around it to space it out properly. I then put foam spacers for the tripod above the counterweights. As long as I put the counterweights in with knobs down, the lid closes over it just fine, holding everything in nice and tight. I probably could have put a second tripod in there if I really wanted to (like my NexStar tripod), but don't really need to. All in all, I'm quite pleased with the results. I'll also post the pic of my new OTA case arrangement, now that I don't need to store the NexStar mount.

Beo

Attachment

--------------------
Celestron 11" Edge HD CPC, 11" NexStar GPS, 8SE; Meade AR6, AR5; SkyWatcher ED100, Astro-Tech AT80LE, Orion ST-80
CGEM w/ ADM Saddle, Knobs, and SBS Dual Saddles
Celestron NightScape, NexGuide; Modded Canon 450D, Nikon D90, StarShoot AG, & HD webcam
Denk PowerxSwitch S2
TV 3.7, 8, 13, 17, 21 mm Ethos, Astro Tech 40 mm.
Filters: TV OIII Filter; Lumicon selector, UHC, H-Beta, & Deep Sky; Baader solar film/continuum
www.orionranchobservatory.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Re: CGEM Ready To Travel! new [Re: Lord Beowulf]
      #3081833 - 05/02/09 09:28 PM Attachment (104 downloads)

Here're the OTAs. There's just enough room here to put my camera equipment, etc. and the two trays of accessories on top. Note the recess below the ST-80 for the laser!

Beo

Attachment

--------------------
Celestron 11" Edge HD CPC, 11" NexStar GPS, 8SE; Meade AR6, AR5; SkyWatcher ED100, Astro-Tech AT80LE, Orion ST-80
Celestron NightScape, NexGuide; Modded Canon 450D, Nikon D90, StarShoot AG, & HD webcam
Denk PowerxSwitch S2
Filters: TV OIII Filter; Lumicon selector, UHC, H-Beta, & Deep Sky; Baader solar film/continuum

Greg K.Administrator

Reged: 12/11/03
Loc: Clifton Park, NY
Re: CGEM Ready To Travel! new [Re: Lord Beowulf]
      #3082027 - 05/03/09 12:02 AM

Wow, that's awesome.

--------------------
Astro-Tech AT111EDT f/7 | AT72ED f/6 | Celestron CGEM
NexStar 11 GPS | Orion SkyView Pro 8EQ (w/ Autostar mod)
Canon EOS Rebel T2i (modded) | QHY5L-II mono

astrophoto gallery

Luigi
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: MA
Re: CGEM Ready To Travel! new [Re: Greg K.]
      #3082289 - 05/03/09 07:31 AM

Very nice indeed...and cheap too! I likey.

--------------------
17.5" f/5 Dob. IM-715 MCT. 120ED. Lunt 60mm Ha.
Zeiss, Leica, Fujinon, Nikon, Pentax, Bushnell bins

Blixx
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: CO. Aurora, USA
Re: CGEM Ready To Travel! new [Re: Luigi]
      #3085545 - 05/04/09 09:13 PM

Very nice Beo. So where did you get the boxes and foam? How much did it cost? I would like to do this.
Dan

--------------------
Celestron C6R ( The Yard Cannon)
Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT
Orion 100mm SkyView Pro
Celestron C80ED
Mead Telstar 60mm
Orion Starshot 2 Color
Mead DSI Color
Celestron NexImage
Orion 2x Shorty Barlow
Various EP's
CGEM Mount (At last!!!)
CG5-ASGT Mount

Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Re: CGEM Ready To Travel! new [Re: Blixx]
      #3085802 - 05/04/09 11:49 PM

The boxes are sold at Home Depot. The foam was a lucky side effect of our company's 5S effort (Sort, Straighten, uh throw Sh-tuff out, uh... actually I think most have gotten stuck on that middle S! ). I happened to stop by one weekend after an early effort and we had a couple of semi-sized dumpsters full of stuff including tons of packing foam for some discontinued products. I could have filled my garage, but as it was, I filled most of the back of the pickup! It takes some hacking and gluing to fill in the gaps, but they've turned out pretty good.

Beo

--------------------
Denk PowerxSwitch S2

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 984

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics